Wildcat: Crowd Sourced Trail Maintenance

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are two big trees down on orange. One near the river maybe halfway between the bat cave and where you start climbing, and the other a little before white crosses orange for the first time on the way up. I've heard that there are two trees down near the bottom of Oreland, but I'm sure Monga will take care of that.

There is also a monster tree down on the gravel road past the pond after coming out of red, just one or two hundred feet from Upper Hibernia Rd:
9832046E-907B-42E9-92B6-7B2FC99B3D34.jpeg

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
There are two big trees down on orange. One near the river maybe halfway between the bat cave and where you start climbing, and the other a little before white crosses orange for the first time on the way up. I've heard that there are two trees down near the bottom of Oreland, but I'm sure Monga will take care of that.

There is also a monster tree down on the gravel road past the pond after coming out of red, just one or two hundred feet from Upper Hibernia Rd:
View attachment 69110

Red by solar pond cleared.
Yellow by spine cleared

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
It is trimming time!....
Starting this week.
If you would like to help, and it is always ,appreciated. Pick one of the ???? And post. Tools can be,picked up at my place if needed. Thank you.

Hibernia Brook (lower orange )- Trailhead...done
Beach Glenn West (Blue)- Trailhead....done
Righter mine (green)---'??????
Wildcat Ridge (yellow) under power lines by the dam - apparently already done by the power utility
Wildcat Ridge (yellow ) by solar pond parking- ???????
Four Birds - @JimN
Oreland RR Grade - ??????
Lake Denmark RR Grade - ?????
anywhere else???

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
anywhere else???

Can we trim back four birds, or is that going to piss off the trail conference? I should be able to get out and trim once or twice next week after work.

Let me know when you guys are gonna try and tackle yellow and I'll try and join for that again as well.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i'll try to get out...anyone for a 8am trim and ride?
wednesdayish?

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Can we trim back four birds, or is that going to piss off the trail conference? I should be able to get out and trim once or twice next week after work.

Let me know when you guys are gonna try and tackle yellow and I'll try and join for that again as well.

You can trim wherever it is needed.
The old guard at the TC regarded FB as "their trail" and wanted exclusive maintenance responsibilities while everything else was not their realm.
In practice however, the maintenance on FB by the TC has been spotty and so I have been clearing as needed when something has lingered.
I have not had any contact with the current TC about the area, so I think we need to to adopt and chip in on FB as needed.
We are all working towards the same goal.
Thank you

Last edited:

dmkalemba

good size (dead) tree down across white, about 1/2 way down from HW going towards solar pond/red trail. Also another one on Orange just as you start climbing coming from Bat Cave parking. I cleared a few large limbs from white. Wildcat really drains amazingly fast.... even at the bottom of white, it was just a little muddy..

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Took Bob and the dogs for a hike from the bat cave to the hawk watch today. Got the downed tree on the orange trail, trimmed face slappers and whatever else up to the hawk watch... Picked up a bunch of trash along the way... Taught Bob what the word litter bug means
20180819_114023.jpg
20180819_132701.jpg
20180819_132937.jpg

roc

That’s an impressive hike for a little guy like that. Great job!
Every time I take my kids up there, I feel like I need a Valium when they start running around at that lookout.

notcho

Took Bob and the dogs for a hike from the bat cave to the hawk watch today. Got the downed tree on the orange trail, trimmed face slappers and whatever else up to the hawk watch... Picked up a bunch of trash along the way... Taught Bob what the word litter bug means

Nice cut Bob! Thanks joe!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That’s an impressive hike for a little guy like that. Great job!
Every time I take my kids up there, I feel like I need a Valium when they start running around at that lookout.
I was surprised as were out for like 4 hours and really the only time he complained was on the last downhill by the bat cave (I took the short cut which was a mistake) where its tons of loose rock.....I also bribed him with a trip to Red Robin for dinner, so that helped. The dogs walked in the door, passed out and are still out.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Wildcat Ridge Trail ( Yellow) from the dam, under the power lines, needs some brush trimming if anyone has some spare time.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions