I want a new bike

Ian F

I agree with that and even see a bit of that with my 130mm travel Primer trail bike. While I'm not the best trials rider in the world, my technical skills on a trail are fairly good. With the Primer, however, I find I really have to "monster- truck" through sections as the bike really needs a certain level of momentum to work. The downside to that technique is if you get it wrong, that momentum turns into more inertia slamming your ass into the ground. Which can hurt. I also find I have trouble with the bike if my legs are not feeling good and I simply don't have enough power to make the bike work.

Over the past month or so, I've only been on the mtn bike a few times as I've spent most of my riding time on the road trying to get some fitness back. I haven't even touched my DH bike as I fear what that will be like.

qclabrat

Okay I did it, despite starting a thread asking for advice and commitments to demo many bikes. The bike bug bite and I just rolled with it. After speaking with @alex_k about his bike last year, it was the decided "next" bike I was planning to build. But then Spring comes around and the chatter of fancy carbon and new specs threw more options on the table. Like many of you, many hours poured in specs, configs, options, etc. But in the end, I remembered what drew me to the Prime; great suspension, wheel size flexibility and the sexy new hydroform (V1 has that sloppy seat tube brace). It also doesn't hurt to know a number of folks have replaced their Mojos with that bike, citing better small bump compliance. Yeah it would have been nice to have a carbon mtb again, maybe for my big b-day in a few years, but for now this may be my gateway to trim down the bike counts and get back to tweaking bikes instead of rotating them around the garage and basement. Should arrive next week and will take a few days to build. I got it with a Topaz which is suppose to be far better than the Monarch shown below.

1530278043951.png

alex_k

Okay I did it, despite starting a thread asking for advice and commitments to demo many bikes. The bike bug bite and I just rolled with it. After speaking with @alex_k about his bike last year, it was the decided "next" bike I was planning to build. But then Spring comes around and the chatter of fancy carbon and new specs threw more options on the table. Like many of you, many hours poured in specs, configs, options, etc. But in the end, I remembered what drew me to the Prime; great suspension, wheel size flexibility and the sexy new hydroform (V1 has that sloppy seat tube brace). It also doesn't hurt to know a number of folks have replaced their Mojos with that bike, citing better small bump compliance. Yeah it would have been nice to have a carbon mtb again, maybe for my big b-day in a few years, but for now this may be my gateway to trim down the bike counts and get back to tweaking bikes instead of rotating them around the garage and basement. Should arrive next week and will take a few days to build. I got it with a Topaz which is suppose to be far better than the Monarch shown below.

View attachment 71212
I still enjoy PRIME very much, after selling HD3, I'm thinking to sell my FAT bike and keep PRIME as the only mtb

rick81721

Lothar

View attachment 71212

Congrats! How much travel will this be?

phillychris498

View attachment 71212
Nothing wrong with going aluminum over carbon... weight savings are only a few pounds and they are still many companies like Banshee and Transition that make beautifully welded aluminum frames. Congrats! New bike day is the best day.

qclabrat

No more bike space in the garage? Lol. Cool looking bike. Where is the Bandit? Did you not like it?
selling the Bandit, I didn't like the feel of the rear, compared to the last two FS bikes I've owned (Lenz Leviathan and GT Zaskar), it seemed a bit dull. Bump sensitivity was what its seemed to lack the most, though it climbed well, flats and point down was just okay. But most importantly, their sizing is really off. I'm clearly between a M and L for Transiitions and don't want size up to compensate. In comparison, the Banshee is a good inch longer on the top tube and ordered the long dropouts to run anything from 29s to 27.5+ and even 29+.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
selling the Bandit, I didn't like the feel of the rear, compared to the last two FS bikes I've owned (Lenz Leviathan and GT Zaskar), it seemed a bit dull. Bump sensitivity was what its seemed to lack the most, though it climbed well, flats and point down was just okay. But most importantly, their sizing is really off. I'm clearly between a M and L for Transiitions and don't want size up to compensate. In comparison, the Banshee is a good inch longer on the top tube and ordered the long dropouts to run anything from 29s to 27.5+ and even 29+.
As much as I like plush suspensions (the Anthem suspension was awesome), I've loved the Bandit so far. The rear design is definitely more XC, which is weird since Transition never really made an XC bike. I like climbing bikes and stiffer suspension set ups. It's just enough to take the edge off to keep pedaling through rooty spots and such.

Top Bottom