Halter's Cycles -- (31/31) 2018 Edition .. RIDE 1hr a day, EVERY DAY for the month of July.. Win $100!!

de00304

Day 15 - escaped the rain down at Allaire...
6A79B107-0EAE-4CB0-B833-F7F9292DF39C.jpeg
25BACD75-DAB8-40AE-8E62-668324AD357C.png

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Animals strike curious poses
IMG_1780.GIF

Just the typical rainy day July ride for me- saddle up the SS, don a @Rick31415 neon yellow shell and etch-a-sketch the neighborhood.

I know the weather will be nicer later today, but wanted to get my hour in so it wasn't like an albacore around my neck all day.

As it was, just got a few sprinkles, I'm having a coffee and going to go have a soccer brunch with my special lady.

IMG_1778.JPG

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Animals strike curious poses
View attachment 72687

Just the typical rainy day July ride for me- saddle up the SS, don a @Rick31415 neon yellow shell and etch-a-sketch the neighborhood.

I know the weather will be nicer later today, but wanted to get my hour in so it wasn't like an albacore around my neck all day.

As it was, just got a few sprinkles, I'm having a coffee and going to go have a soccer brunch with my special lady.

View attachment 72686
Uh, why would you ride with a fish around your neck?

Just asking - Sea Bird Advisory Board ;)

Last edited:

Ian F

July 15 - I had delusional hopes of doing a nice, long road ride today and maybe getting up to 300 miles for a half way total. In the end, I just got an hour in. Riding in a thunderstorm...

Uh oh... That doesn't look good...
Screenshot_20180715-102741.png

So I started off in a drizzle, ended barely able to see... at least this time I had lights on the bike.
Screenshot_20180715-114232.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So I got 13 in. Quick ride at Mercer

View attachment 72600

Then Friday the 13th showed me what it’s all about. On fridays we play volleyball with my daughters, friend’s parents. I got set up and was going to tip one over the net when dude man on the other team gets crazy and runs right into me. Knee to knee. He was about 240 and I’m 165. I lost. Fractured tibial plateau. Surgery tomorrow after meeting with the surgeon today. Going to be atleast 12 weeks out.

View attachment 72601
Normal knee and swollen knee

View attachment 72602

This has been an amazing challenge to take part in and I will definitely be trying it again next year. Best of luck to everyone doing it

o shit - do the rehab - @jdog may have a few words of advice/encouragement.

rlb

I got set up and was going to tip one over the net when dude man on the other team gets crazy and runs right into me.

What's the matter with you? It's only a game Focker!

Sorry to hear it man. Knocking knees is no joke as we can see. Hopefully you'll be able to catch the tail end of the fall goodness. Heal up quickly!

The Kalmyk

You can tell by the way I use my walk...

Finally made it to Halter's to get daddy a new pair of shoes. Fittingly, I put my 2017 31/31 GC towards the purchase.
I can't say how old those shoes are, but it's safe to say they are past their prime.
Something old, something new...
View attachment 72541
Thanks @jdog!
Shoes felt great on the trail.

And because I'm in the neighborhood, it's time for some Sick Smile!
View attachment 72542
Gorgeous day out there, and as fun as always.
Until....

I started having some ghost shifting both front and rear, and then when I was in the twisties, blammo.
Chain esplodes

View attachment 72543

View attachment 72544
I did not have any spare quick links, so I did a little trailside surgery with a multi tool. All that practice cutting and closing bmx chains paid off.

Was able to finish the ride and got the Six Mile tan!
View attachment 72545

On the way home I swung by my LBS to grab a chain and some spare links.
Dudeman showed me this and it is now in my pack.

View attachment 72546
Holds 2 sets of links, has a link wrench, a valve nut wrench, valve core WRENCH and a tire lever in a handy little package.
View attachment 72547

Ima go post in the beer thread now.

I like the tool! I’m a gonna have ta cop me one

Tim

aka sptimmy43
15/31 I rode over to the Thomas Edison Center at Menlo Park. I have driven past here many times but never stopped to read the plaques or take a good look at the tower. The morning rain was a good excuse to stick to pavement today.
20180715_193949000_iOS.png

20180715_185202274_iOS.jpg

rlb

As I'm trying to game plan my next few days of riding I realized a missed opportunity today. A few days back I was on a ride that I knew would clock in at exactly 1 hour (well, that's been pretty much all of my rides so far). Anyway, I was thinking of a fitting name to convey that I was doing the bare minimum and "15 pieces of flare" came to mind. I decided I would save that for July 15th, because it would just make a little more sense that day. Lo and behold I totally forgot about it this morning. Always next year....

So I have a work shitstorm to deal with tomorrow. Essentially I need to re-do about 40 hours of work in 1 day. Hey, it's always quicker the second time right? So I'm going to get up at 4 and ride so I can get into the office as early as possible (let's ignore the obvious conflict in this sentence). Then knock out a marathon day and get home whenever I do. Tuesday the Mrs is working, so that leaves me with a other 4am wake up, or ride when she gets home (8:30 the earliest). Not the worst, but it's going to be a chore...

Tim

aka sptimmy43
As I'm trying to game plan my next few days of riding I realized a missed opportunity today. A few days back I was on a ride that I knew would clock in at exactly 1 hour (well, that's been pretty much all of my rides so far). Anyway, I was thinking of a fitting name to convey that I was doing the bare minimum and "15 pieces of flare" came to mind. I decided I would save that for July 15th, because it would just make a little more sense that day. Lo and behold I totally forgot about it this morning. Always next year....

At least you thought of a good name for a ride. When it's time for me to name a ride on Strava my mind goes blank.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Well folks the road ends here for me tomorrow most likely will be a day missed. Since this challenge started I've lost about 12 pounds. Thanks to halter('s) for putting this challenge together and motivating me to get out there and ride, and thanks to my wife for letting me skip out on somethings to let me compete.

Today's ride sucked donkey shit I was eat alive by flies did more hiking then biking out of lack of motivation and I bent a crank arm or pedal so I gonna order either a whole slx group set or the sram eagle nx group set to settle my rear derailleur issues and my crank issues. Who knows I might just toss it in my bench vice and get it straightened.

Best of luck to those who are still in it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180715-195946.png
    Screenshot_20180715-195946.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Day 15 was a chill one. The ol’ bird wanted to ride around the hood after the storms moved out. I didn’t think she would go the full hour with me on her little Schwinn cruiser, but the scenery was beautiful after the rain and she was digging it. Should have got more pics but I was just enjoying the time.
4DCCCA14-7BEE-4210-AD89-1886A681BB00.jpeg

Top Bottom