2018 Gravity Season

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pinkbike has a recap of the EWS Enduro East at MCBP up on it's page and there is a nice photo of someone rocking a mtbnj jersey......
To bad I couldn't hold onto my day 1 result o well getting a photo and name drop on pinkbike is cool and making friends along the way was icing on the cake . Hats off to @DownhillR3 he crushed the amateur men field

Ian F

The World Cup carnival is at Val di Sole in Italy this weekend. The Val di Sole course is known as the "Black Snake" as it weaves down the mtn looking to bite an unsuspecting rider. Rain hit between the Junior and Elite Qualifying runs this morning and turned the results all sorts of crazy. Junior times for both men and women were actually faster than Elite times - in the womens' class by a LOT because Valentina Holl is a 16 year old phenom.

Generally unknown Slovakian racer Monika Hrastnik topped the women's field. Myriam Nicole crashed hard and was air-lifted to the hospital. Rachel Atherton crashed twice during her run and qualified 6th.

Amaury Pierron extended his series points lead by qualifying first. Gwin crashed during practice, aggravated his thumb injury and decided to take a provisional start. Holding up the USA side, Luca Shaw starts from 6th.

The weather is still an unknown for the race.
The event this weekend is a "combined" event with both XC and DH, so the DH event will be on Sat (live at 7:30 AM on RedBullTV.com). It could be one for the ages. :popcorn:

Ian F

It's been somewhat low-key, but apparently Gee Atherton has taken over for Claudio for the Red Bull track preview with comments (he did one for Val de Sole as well). On the plus side, he's doing the run at probably 90% race speed - a good bit faster than Claudio does them. On the down side, being a current pro he's a bit less on the edge and thus his commentary isn't as amusing.

Another fun video to watch is "Cathrovision" created by privateer British DH Pro Ben Cathro. This is his video about the first day at Andorra:

The Live Feed for the DH race will again be Sat morning EDT.

Ian F

With Gwin back in California nursing his thumb injury, Luca Shaw continues to wave the flag for the USA and qualifies #1 for the third time this year. Hopefully 3rd time will be a charm and he'll put down a winning run tomorrow. He definitely left some time out there. Rachel Atherton decimated the women's field by 12 seconds.

Dirt Magazine put together some interesting "Geek Stats" for the men's qualifying: https://dirtmountainbike.com/racing-events/quickfire-geek-stats-vallnord-qualifying/

Ian F

Woo hoo! What a race! It's fun telling people I "live for the World Cup" during soccer season when DH is what I mean. :p

Some unexpected winners in both the women's and men's races.

Next: Mont-Sainte-Anne on Aug 10-12 (DH on Sat the 11th) which should be fun with most injured riders back to full strength.

oobaa47

well this sucks....its simply not humanely possible for me to watch the replay without stumbling across the results (the very first thing on vital is a huge picture of the winning bike)......#beyondfrustrated....

does anyone have the link to the replay? I still can't locate it...pinkbike, vitablmtb, redbull, etc etc......maybe it's not posted yet??

Last edited:

oobaa47

Bummer. If I can't watch the live feed, I pretty much have to go on a social media black-out.

https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1VPAKVZUW1W11/mens-dh-finals-en-vallnord

Thanks. I think redbull must've been down for most of the day.....it was just a black screen until really late last night....

Tough past two weeks for 'Murica....

Gwin hurt
dakatoh hurt
luca shaw crashes in the finals after qualifying first
neko outside the top 50

charlie harrison was our best showing, finishing at 15th.

Ian F

Yep. Although just having so many riders able to be in contention is vast improvement over a few years ago.

oobaa47

Yeah, true. Forgot about max morgan, who qaulified for the finals. I don't think he was able to qualify in his last 5 or 6 tries. So that's pretty cool.

Ian F

Mont-Sainte Anne this weekend. Tomorrow at 12:30 PM for the women, to be precise.

Gwin still out with the thumb injury, but has posted on social media he's started training on the DH bike again. Minnaar is back. Danny Hart qualified first. Gee Atherton continues to take over Red Bull course previews:

oobaa47

Finally was able to watch a replay without coming across the results! What a feeling....lol.....great race, good to see some 'Muricans finish up there......dakotah seemed a little off pace however, 15 seconds back.....maybe he had a stumble?.....did anyone see pierron's crash in practice yesterday? Fn sick!!!! A complete OTB scorpion down a rock garden out of the camera's view.......can't believe he even raced the next day, let alone placed........

Ian F

I was able to watch it live since I'm stuck up here in NH and it was raining all of Sat and most of Sun. Was a great race. Holy shit the women's winner rode the ragged edge.

From what I gather, Dakotah is still getting back up to pace after his injury.

Watch the XCO replay as well. Great race on a crazy-sick course. I watched the Men's race and still need to watch the Women's.

One of these days I want to go up to MSA for this event. Even if I'm not racing.

Ian F

Holy shit, what a race at La Bresse. Crazy shocker of a winner. Be sure to watch the replay.

Gee's preview:

World Champs in two weeks!

oobaa47

great race indeed! Rob and Claudio seemed truly dumbfounded on how XXX was able to gain so much time on the entire field in that one section in the middle of the course. It was almost as if his timer just stopped for a few seconds in that section and it was a malfunction.......even the other racers seemed shocked....great finish to an awesome season....

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ben Cathro did a quick video explaining his opinion on how he did it. I won't post a direct video since the title gives away the winner, so I'll just post a link to his main page. But in a nutshell - 1. he's no slouch of a DH racer to begin with, and 2. a difference in training.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqfVn_4SrTEx4q1OrV1prdg
Also have to ad the winner raced much earlier in the day so maybe the track was more wet faster instead of getting the peanut butter mud build up . Also cool to see someone back in second spot on the box

Ian F

He qualified lower than typical, but not crazy low. And yes, it was mentioned how the track was wetter/faster when he and 2nd place left the gate.

There is currently a big fan debate over 2nd place not making the national team for Worlds next week, despite his last two finishes.

World Champs should be fun to watch. I have to figure out how to avoid learning the results until I get home from vacation Sunday afternoon and watch the replay.

Top Bottom