Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

AndyJ

Why are there so many people out there cutting switchbacks and making new lines around rocks and roots; its not like hartshorne is that technical if you cant ride there without going around every harder section of trail you should just ride on the pavement.
Yeah, or when the obstacle is just removed... when entering the Rocky Point trail from the Grand Tour connector (that is, not from the parking lot end), you'd soon come upon a short rocky upclimb after the downhill. Or, at least you used to. Somebody cleared out all the rocks, so now a 5 year old could make it up on a tricycle.
I think it's only one guy doing it... as was mentioned chainsaw guy is back. If it makes you feel any better the county had a big trail maintenance crew out there yesterday and they were installing new water bars. I didn't have the heart to tell them their work would be undone by the chainsaw guy within a week.
If they were installing water bars, the work will eventually be undone by nature anyway. :rolleyes:While I appreciate the volunteers' work, water bars are only effective until dirt/sand backs up behind the bar, leading to the water flowing over and/or around the bar. The downhill side of the bar then washes out, resulting in the formation of a step. There are plenty examples of that at Hartshorne and Huber (the descent on Laurel Ridge to the Buttermilk Valley parking lot, the little piece of Grand Tour north of the fire road / Cuesta Ridge, etc.)

Ugh... had a brief but heavy downpour here this morning and the radar shows more heading for us, so probably too wet this morning. However, given it's been mostly dry this week, it might soak in quickly enough for a late afternoon/evening ride if the rain stops by noon or so. I was actually planning a trip over to Six Mile Run today (wow, I haven't been there yet at all this year - it seems to be raining on every chance I have to get over there), but it looks like that's out now as well since the heavy rain's current path will have it passing right over that area. I guess I could spend the morning on cleaning and maintenance :)

Last edited:
Reactions: don

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Yeah, or when the obstacle is just removed... when entering the Rocky Point trail from the Grand Tour connector (that is, not from the parking lot end), you'd soon come upon a short rocky upclimb after the downhill. Or, at least you used to. Somebody cleared out all the rocks, so now a 5 year old could make it up on a tricycle.
If they were installing water bars, the work will eventually be undone by nature anyway. :rolleyes:While I appreciate the volunteers' work, water bars are only effective until dirt/sand backs up behind the bar, leading to the water flowing over and/or around the bar. The downhill side of the bar then washes out, resulting in the formation of a step. There are plenty examples of that at Hartshorne and Huber (the descent on Laurel Ridge to the Buttermilk Valley parking lot, the little piece of Grand Tour north of the fire road / Cuesta Ridge, etc.)

Ugh... had a brief but heavy downpour here this morning and the radar shows more heading for us, so probably too wet this morning. However, given it's been mostly dry this week, it might soak in quickly enough for a late afternoon/evening ride if the rain stops by noon or so. I was actually planning a trip over to Six Mile Run today (wow, I haven't been there yet at all this year - it seems to be raining on every chance I have to get over there), but it looks like that's out now as well since the heavy rain's current path will have it passing right over that area. I guess I could spend the morning on cleaning and maintenance :)

I would think grand tour should be rideable this afternoon. Hell, even rocky point might be. Hartshorne drains very well.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I rode Hartshorne yesterday and trail conditions were great. Even the sandy sections were packed in a bit from the rain. There are a couple trees down on Rocky Point near one of the overlooks. Also, a group of volunteers has been doing a lot of water bar work. So far they have made it from the Buttermilk lot and up the stepped climb to about the next tough climb. Their preferred method is actually using large rocks to make the water bars. If you are used to bombing down that section stay alert as the lines have changed.

AndyJ

Yep, nice and dry today at Hartshorne.

The only tree that hasn't been cleaned up is the big one on top of the overlook near the pier (at the wood fence - or what's left of the wood fence). And nooooo.... the log/waterbar at the top of the climb to the overlook has been cut through by somebody (chainsaw guy?) Whoever it was mustn't have been able to cut all the way through, or couldn't pull it free, but there are cuts on both sides of the chiseled out section. I've always liked that one, since it was a pretty challenging obstacle to overcome when I was learning how to do those "step ups", especially since it's at the top of a climb and you're still going a bit uphill. [I'll admit that even now, I occasionally bungle it - like being off on my timing a bit and whacking the chainring on the log.] It's been there for as long as I've been going to Hartshorne, but it looks like it may soon be another victim of the chainsaw if the culprit returns to finish the job. This is getting ridiculous...

Last edited:

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Yep, nice and dry today at Hartshorne.

The only tree that hasn't been cleaned up is the big one on top of the overlook near the pier (at the wood fence - or what's left of the wood fence). And nooooo.... the log/waterbar at the top of the climb to the overlook has been cut through by somebody (chainsaw guy?) Whoever it was mustn't have been able to cut all the way through, or couldn't pull it free, but there are cuts on both sides of the chiseled out section. I've always liked that one, since it was a pretty challenging obstacle to overcome when I was learning how to do those "step ups", especially since it's at the top of a climb and you're still going a bit uphill. [I'll admit that even now, I occasionally bungle it - like being off on my timing a bit and whacking the chainring on the log.] It's been there for as long as I've been going to Hartshorne, but it looks like it may soon be another victim of the chainsaw if the culprit returns to finish the job. This is getting ridiculous...

Damn. The hacking of the log you are talking about is new since I rode yesterday. It was fully intact yesterday at about 2pm. Sounds like the work of chainsaw guy. Pretty soon a toddler will be able to ride a tricycle through Hartshorne.

I know what you mean about nostalgic obstacles. For me (since I have only been riding mtb for 1.5 years) the ones I miss are the big 18" logover on Grand Tour even though you can still hop over what's left if you want and the double logover on Rocky Point. Again, you can still hop what's left of that one if you want but it's not the same as when you had to commit. I clear those with ease now but what about the new guy that could use the challenge? Now they can ride through on a road bike.

johnnyrides

Maybe the guy finally needs a crystal clear firm talk and if no immediate stand down response, an ass kicking or his bike left in taters. Disrespect earns disrespect. Sometimes that’s the only language people understand unfortunately. Can’t let him run around ruining a place unchecked.

johnnyrides

Interested, tell me more
As an absolute last resort, if he continues to be completely hardheaded then for every touch his saw makes to the terrain then a swing of a pipe strike to his derailleurs, shifters, and brakes may send a message that he’ll remember. I’m almost embarrassed to suggest such a thing especially since 1) it’s pretty harsh and technically not right and 2) I don’t walk in the mans shoes and he may have problems. Perhaps the real threat would be enough and he’d walk away and not come back. I assume others trying to reason with the man hasn’t changed anything.

Karate Monkey

Maybe the guy finally needs a crystal clear firm talk and if no immediate stand down response, an ass kicking or his bike left in taters. Disrespect earns disrespect. Sometimes that’s the only language people understand unfortunately. Can’t let him run around ruining a place unchecked.
Interested, tell me more
As an absolute last resort, if he continues to be completely hardheaded then for every touch his saw makes to the terrain then a swing of a pipe strike to his derailleurs, shifters, and brakes may send a message that he’ll remember. I’m almost embarrassed to suggest such a thing especially since 1) it’s pretty harsh and technically not right and 2) I don’t walk in the mans shoes and he may have problems. Perhaps the real threat would be enough and he’d walk away and not come back. I assume others trying to reason with the man hasn’t changed anything.

1200px-Fries_2.jpg

Just joshing you, not endorsing violence. IMO, call the rangers, that's what they're paid for (considering they don't seem to do anything else...)

SmooveP

So annoying. I have Chainsaw Guy's full name and address (thanks to some help from an alert member of the MTB community ;)). I've been debating how to handle it. I'll probably just turn the info over to the head ranger and let the authority figures handle it. If anyone catches him in the act, snap a pic if you can and I'll add it to the "evidence folder".

Tim

aka sptimmy43
A discussion was started on Strava in the Hartshorne Locals group about this today. I think some others are trying to build a case as well.

johnnyrides

Looks like “most” of yesterday and today’s downpours may have missed Hart’s. Do we have any locals who can chime in?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Looks like “most” of yesterday and today’s downpours may have missed Hart’s. Do we have any locals who can chime in?
I work 5 minutes from Hartshorne. You are correct. Most of the rain missed. Got about .3" total yesterday and today so it should be pretty good to ride.

johnnyrides

I work 5 minutes from Hartshorne. You are correct. Most of the rain missed. Got about .3" total yesterday and today so it should be pretty good to ride.
Now you took away my excuse to sleep in tomorrow. Now I need to haul it down there in the early AM tomorrow before the shore traffic. Hoping for no thunder bumpers tonight.

jerzey111

Now you took away my excuse to sleep in tomorrow. Now I need to haul it down there in the early AM tomorrow before the shore traffic. Hoping for no thunder bumpers tonight.
When does short traffic start? I'm in Bergen Co so i would need to be crossing the Driscoll br by what time? 9am too late?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions