Water Company Trails Conditions

Robin

I was going to head out next week with clippers. I don't think it's really being maintained so probably overgrown and still trees down from spring storms.

rosceaux

I was out for a run last Sunday on the red loop. There were some sections of Play-Doh mud in the expected spots, but it was much drier than anticipated. I wouldn't have felt bad about riding there for the first time since February. Who knows what tonight/tomorrow might bring?

It is pretty overgrown in sections. I thought I would look like a complete maniac running through the woods with a machete, so I figured I'd wait until my next bike ride to do some trimming. There were only a few trees down, but one biggie right as you enter on the blue trail. I found out (the hard way) that I was able to steeplechase it on the way in, but not so much on the way out.

Robin

Spent some time this morning trimming Orange and a bit of Blue. Still needs a lot more and will be back. The Yellow loop is in decent shape but a very large tree down near the start off Blue.

IMG_20180702_071301.jpg
IMG_20180702_075836.jpg
IMG_20180702_080011.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Spent some time this morning trimming Orange and a bit of Blue. Still needs a lot more and will be back. The Yellow loop is in decent shape but a very large tree down near the start off Blue.

View attachment 71434View attachment 71435View attachment 71436
FWIW, a silky saw (or any folding but the silky gets the nod for its incredibly sharp blade)is the best thing I have found for trimming, hands down.
1. The 7 or 8” models fit nicely in a jersey pocket.
2. The folded saw leaves minimal areas to damage your spine in the case of falling on your back.
3. Due to the sharp blade, it works very well as a machete for prickers and the like
4. Can cut some fairly thick branches and logs with easy.

For me, the clippers are far too time consuming and only able to cut a few prickers at a time. I have only had a handful of Mtb rides this year where I didn’t do some kind of trimming. I am on my second trim on many of the main trails at baldpate, which were majorly over grown.

In any case, thanks!!

Robin

Hiked in from 518 on Blue to do some snipping. Tree down 0.25 mi in and massive mess about 0.5 mi in. Clipped Blue all the way to red (beyond stream).

Attachments

• IMG_20180706_081247.jpg
    IMG_20180706_081247.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20180706_082314.jpg
    IMG_20180706_082314.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_20180706_080048.jpg
    IMG_20180706_080048.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 271

rick81721

Lothar
@Robin thx for the conditions report. i brought a small Silky with me today and took care of a bunch of blocked spots

This is on the trail from 518
View attachment 71935

View attachment 71936
View attachment 71937

This is Red... Red needs a good mechete session - way overgrown.
View attachment 71938
View attachment 71939

This is yellow - there are three large trees down that require a chainsaw
View attachment 71940
View attachment 71941

Eh just need a bigger hand saw. What is that thing you are carrying, a pen knife?

Mountain Bike Mike

Eh just need a bigger hand saw. What is that thing you are carrying, a pen knife?

A silky small enough for the side pocket of my club ride shorts... which can handle a good majority of things. i have a larger saw but that requires me to wear a camel back which I hate wearing

Mountain Bike Mike

@stb222 and I worked on trimming the beginning of Red / Red climb from Blue (Clockwise). We made it from the bottom to just about the top by the farm field.. we were cut short when I stirred up a yellow jacket nest and got stung a bunch of times.

From where we left off to the first small rock garden needs a good trim if anyone wants to help out. I think the next day I'll be out there is possibly Friday morning.

Robin

I haven't been here since the summer when I was hiking and trimming. I figured with colder temps, it might be worth checking out.

Horrible deep and wide ruts from people riding while it was (and is still) wet. I managed to stay on top of most of the ice and ruts but there is a lot of damage from previous rides. There are a few large trees down too.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I haven't been here since the summer when I was hiking and trimming. I figured with colder temps, it might be worth checking out.

Horrible deep and wide ruts from people riding while it was (and is still) wet. I managed to stay on top of most of the ice and ruts but there is a lot of damage from previous rides. There are a few large trees down too.
Didnt cross over to Water Co due to time this morning, but Greenway is trashed. I think I know where I will be focusing some efforts this year...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm thinking of hiting these trails Saturday AM, after fresh snow?

should be frozen - there is some good tech in there, the snow may end up filling-in, or covering.
trails are not well marked (i haven't been there since the spring), so someone knowledgeable will need to go through to follow them.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
should be frozen - there is some good tech in there, the snow may end up filling-in, or covering.
trails are not well marked (i haven't been there since the spring), so someone knowledgeable will need to go through to follow them.
I was at Baldpate 2 times this week and Greenway on Monday. This morning, there were areas at Baldpate that were not frozen solid and I would expect similar for sections of Water Co.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions