World Cup

echappy

Surely this World Cup is on track now for most own goals ever. Geez.

And how about that crazy "substitution" goal?

Also, I just read that the yellow card accumulation doesn't get reset until after the quarterfinals. The accumulation rule in general is ridiculous, but expecting players to go five games without getting two yellow cards is absolutely crazy. It's gonna be interesting to see how many high profile players miss their quarter or semifinal matches. After just one game so many players got silly yellow cards. I'm sure we discussed this last time, but F this rule.

They should either up it to 3, rest after quarter finals, or clean slate after group stages. This is where the stronger nations really have an advantage. Countries like France and Spain can have scary squads made of players who didn't play or were subs in the first game, while depth of other teams drops off once you get past the first choice 11... Also gives an advantage to squads with easy first two games (cough Russia), as they can rest their players with cards for the third meaningless group stage game

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They should either up it to 3, rest after quarter finals, or clean slate after group stages.

They used to clean the slate after the group stage, but they changed it because they want to make sure players can't miss the final. If you don't want players to miss the final, get rid of the stupid rule! The World Cup should be about showcasing the best teams in the world, and they should be allowed to put their best players forward. Whatev's.

echappy

no contact; kinda like how the Flying Dutchman conned the ref in 2014 against El Tri. They really ought to clamp down on these things...

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
no contact; kinda like how the Flying Dutchman conned the ref in 2014 against El Tri. They really ought to clamp down on these things...

They have VAR now. If they have irrefutable video evidence that a player took a blatant dive, ban them from competitive football for one year. It stops immediately. This is the only way it will ever stop.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
They have VAR now. If they have irrefutable video evidence that a player took a blatant dive, ban them from competitive football for one year. It stops immediately. This is the only way it will ever stop.

Maybe not one year but a few games, I agree.

Ref's need to be consistent.....The call today on the Aussie PK vs DEnmark.......I agree it was a PK, they did the VAR, but there was a smiliar 'handball' play in another game this WC (dont remember) and they didnt call it, the announcers said it was accidental. Well, it could be accidental (most of them are) but if it is changing the direction of the ball and affecting the outcome of the play it is a PK. I dont remember if they went to VAR on that game and cant remember the outcome of the game.....damn need to stop drinking! BUT i am 100% that this no call happened :)

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
As expected....maybe not by all but by me..... ARGENTINA COLLAPSED!!

Ronaldo rises to the ocassion while Messi struggles under big pressure (with the National team at least)

I didnt post this here before, but watch out with the dark horse Croatia....some peeps have Belgium as Dark Horse, but Croatia's mid field is pretty much REAL MADRID and BARCELONA with Modric and Rakitic......and then you can add the Juventus and Inter strikers Mandzukik and Perisik.....this is a fucking nice team with zero hype and zero pressure.

Idiot Caballero....the Chelsea back up....not the first time he make these silly mistakes and this time it cost them the game......its a shame that Romero is hurt, but my TIGRES Guzman should be the goalie instead of this Caballero who has little play time.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Idiot Caballero....the Chelsea back up....not the first time he make these silly mistakes and this time it cost them the game.....

I know all of the talk will be about the mistake, but seriously, what a finish! Anything less than awesomeness there and the keeper could have corrected his mistake.

Argentina just can't get their shit together. Maybe they are still moping from coming so close last time and all the political BS, and threatening to quit and such. They just seem like they aren't that interested and don't have much chemistry playing together. Maybe it's just the way the sport is now with everyone playing overseas with different clubs.

echappy

As expected....maybe not by all but by me..... ARGENTINA COLLAPSED!!

Ronaldo rises to the ocassion while Messi struggles under big pressure (with the National team at least)

I didnt post this here before, but watch out with the dark horse Croatia....some peeps have Belgium as Dark Horse, but Croatia's mid field is pretty much REAL MADRID and BARCELONA with Modric and Rakitic......and then you can add the Juventus and Inter strikers Mandzukik and Perisik.....this is a fucking nice team with zero hype and zero pressure.

Idiot Caballero....the Chelsea back up....not the first time he make these silly mistakes and this time it cost them the game......its a shame that Romero is hurt, but my TIGRES Guzman should be the goalie instead of this Caballero who has little play time.
at certain point, I think their outside backs/wingbacks are going to let them down. Meunier is serviceable at right wingback/back, but Carasco is not a defensive player... Teams should be exploiting Belgium's left flank like mad

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Jim. Yes. Awesome finish. Chicharito would have NOT put it in!!! :)

Fuck Neymar. So annoying. I don’t like him at all. Never had. So many other better players hat don’t get the buzz he gets.

Bad for CR but they didn’t even see tonhave a plan.

I was hoping both Serbia and Switzerland advance. But now Brazil is almost In

Last edited:

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Crazy that Mexico with 6 points still could be out of the next round and Argentina with 1 point still could make it to the next round. #asieselfutbol

Mexico went back to being Mexico and played more like usual but managed to get the win vs Korea. Last minute goal by Korea I hope doesn’t come back to haunt them.

Don’t agree with putting “old turtle” Marquez again via sub. He has no business being in WC. Made a big mistake that almost caused a goal.

Also don’t agree with the game plan that gives Layún (#7) always the last touch. It is happening too much and Layún keeps missing the shots. He is not a striker!!!

Belgium showing great football. Lukaku is a beast. And yes they don’t defend too well but they can score. So that normally works. They always score more than they allow ;-)

Germany saved by the bell. Definitely not playing their best football. But like Gary Lineker has said “football is a game of 11 vs 11 and at the end Germany always wins”. (Or something like that)

So far England crushing Panama. Showing the GAP between UEFA and Concacaf. No business having 3 (plus 1 with WC) spots for concacaf. And they want 48 teams in the World Cup!?!?! Come on!!!

echappy

Crazy that Mexico with 6 points still could be out of the next round and Argentina with 1 point still could make it to the next round. #asieselfutbol

Mexico went back to being Mexico and played more like usual but managed to get the win vs Korea. Last minute goal by Korea I hope doesn’t come back to haunt them.

Don’t agree with putting “old turtle” Marquez again via sub. He has no business being in WC. Made a big mistake that almost caused a goal.

Also don’t agree with the game plan that gives Layún (#7) always the last touch. It is happening too much and Layún keeps missing the shots. He is not a striker!!!

Belgium showing great football. Lukaku is a beast. And yes they don’t defend too well but they can score. So that normally works. They always score more than they allow ;-)

Germany saved by the bell. Definitely not playing their best football. But like Gary Lineker has said “football is a game of 11 vs 11 and at the end Germany always wins”. (Or something like that)

So far England crushing Panama. Showing the GAP between UEFA and Concacaf. No business having 3 (plus 1 with WC) spots for concacaf. And they want 48 teams in the World Cup!?!?! Come on!!!

That goofy "kid" Jesse Lingard; what a strike. Top drawer stuff you expect from the likes of Hazard.

Senegal v Japan was an unexpectedly entertaining match. Hopefully they both advance. I always though Poland was over-rated, perhaps this will become manifest.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
That goofy "kid" Jesse Lingard; what a strike. Top drawer stuff you expect from the likes of Hazard.

Senegal v Japan was an unexpectedly entertaining match. Hopefully they both advance. I always though Poland was over-rated, perhaps this will become manifest.

Even Kane. Both PK with force and high to same spot!! You gotta have 150% confidence in yourself. Usually other blow it over the bar!!! Haha

I wonder how many consecutive shots like that he can make :eek:

I agree. Senegal - japan was a good game. I usually root for Africans before Asians ...hope I don’t hurt anybody’s feelings. Hahah

Meh Poland. Just because lewandoski. We have seen that even Messi can’t carry the whole teAm!!! But Colombia needs to turn it on!! Otherwise is bye bye !

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
yay Colombia!
way to show up when needed Cuadrado and James.

imagen_12.jpg

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Greetings from Sir Bite A Lot!

4103861.jpg

Uruguay has walked through the first round......we should see how they play vs Stronger teams...maybe a second rd match against Spain or Portugal or Iran???

Top Bottom