hello from mantua

sgibby88

For the trails you will be on, hardtail will be perfect and easier to find in your budget.

Most bikes out now can be run 27+ or 29 and possibly single speed. I'd look for something versatile like this which gives you options.

What are you riding now?
Nothing. Haven’t been on a pedal bike in years. Was aiming more towards a ht because of the price. I would like a fs but if my interest doesn’t stay on n the hobby I won’t be out to much. I already know I don’t want a single speed. Would like the option to have a decent gear range just in case. But I also don’t know how the single speeds react. Got a lot to learn about today’s bikes. When I think of a mtb I think of the technology from 15 years ago. I’ve noticed they have come a long way from then

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Never been to the caffeinated cyclist. I’ve been to action wheels and the place in Deptford acrossed from friendlys. I’ve known about Ceres but never been back there. I was looking at the 27.5 online. I think a 29 would be big for me but I’ve also never sat on one. Also not sure if I want to go plus or not
You know what I have noticed... especially with some of the group rides on this board.... ppl are damn nice
If you go to one of these group rides and say, "That's a nice bike and I am looking to buy a new bike." At the bare minimum, 50% of them will be like, hey try my bike! Free demo rides lol

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I think of a mtb I think of the technology from 15 years ago. I’ve noticed they have come a long way from then
Yes they have. The most important thing is to get a bike you feel the most comfortable on. This will mean trying out different bikes. I'm not sure if there are any demo days at local trails in your area, but this is something you should look for. It's tough to get a feel of a mtb in a parking lot, ideally you want to get on a trail with a bike to try it out.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You know what I have noticed... especially with some of the group rides on this board.... ppl are damn nice
If you go to one of these group rides and say, "That's a nice bike and I am looking to buy a new bike." At the bare minimum, 50% of them will be like, hey try my bike! Free demo rides lol
this is true... but homie has zero wheels at the moment.. kinda hard to show up on a group ride w/o a ride... however, once the first whip is purchased.... game on.

qclabrat

what every one above has already said, I'm just a little taller than you but prefer the 29" wheel size. Sadly 27.5 regular size is nearly dead except the very entry level bikes or riders much smaller than you. 27.5+ are just a tad smaller than a 29 and a bit larger than the regular 27.5 so that's a great compromise. The 27.5+ will also likely put you on a bike with modern geometry and spacing. Buying a 27.5 bike is like getting a 26" bike 5-6 years ago.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
this is true... but homie has zero wheels at the moment.. kinda hard to show up on a group ride w/o a ride... however, once the first whip is purchased.... game on.
I was gonna say... get a cheapo Walmart bike but that would have been a sin.
Now that I think about it... Walmart bike might not be a bad idea. I remember when I had the Walgoose, everyone I came across on the trails knew I was noob and they were super nice to me. Hey... you ok? You know where you are going? You need any help? lol

sgibby88

I was gonna say... get a cheapo Walmart bike but that would have been a sin.
Now that I think about it... Walmart bike might not be a bad idea. I remember when I had the Walgoose, everyone I came across on the trails knew I was noob and they were super nice to me. Hey... you ok? You know where you are going? You need any help? lol
Was walking around dicks a few weekends ago and was looking at a gt that was around 600. Then started looking into it some more. I won’t go the Walmart route though. I like to tinker and upgrade so I want something with that ability and want something with some what quality lol

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Was walking around dicks a few weekends ago and was looking at a gt that was around 600. Then started looking into it some more. I won’t go the Walmart route though. I like to tinker and upgrade so I want something with that ability and want something with some what quality lol
Some demos are like $100 per day so a Walmart bike would be about the same price But regardless, it was only in jest.
GT's and Diamondbacks are not bad bikes. Couple of things you should look out for IMO. Tapered head tube, boost compatible (not totally necessary but to somewhat future proof) and definitely make sure it takes a cassette rather than a freewheel.

qclabrat

I can help him here
I'm planning to sell my Transition TransAm, the green monster
I washed it and it's being rebuilt for it's photoshoot. I was planning to sell it in your price range. It won't come with the carbon or i9 SS wheels. But I plan to put on a 10spd drive train instead of the single speed setup. If you catch us at one of the group rides, feel free to borrow. Just not 6mile, cause red dust and clean bike no bueno. Looks like this bike but comes with a Sektor Gold fork and Specialized dropper. Bike feels small to me which is why I'm selling, also have another hardtail already. It's got the last generation dropouts you you can run gears or single like a bmx. I've run 2.8 plus tires with 27.5 40mm wide rims with no problem if you want to convert it to a plus bike.
https://performancegearresearch.wor...ng-soon-2015-transition-trans-am-29er-review/

1529415982107.png

Last edited:

BPaze

I can help him here
I'm planning to sell my Transition TransAm, the green monster
I washed it and it's being rebuilt for it's photoshoot. I was planning to sell it in your price range. It won't come with the carbon or i9 SS wheels. But I plan to put on a 10spd drive train instead of the single speed setup. If you catch us at one of the group rides, feel free to borrow. Just not 6mile, cause red dust and clean bike no bueno. Looks like this bike but comes with a Sektor Gold fork and Specialized dropper. Bike feels small to me which is why I'm selling, also have another hardtail already. It's got the last generation dropouts you you can run gears or single like a bmx. I've run 2.8 plus tires with 27.5 40mm wide rims with no problem if you want to convert it to a plus bike.
https://performancegearresearch.wor...ng-soon-2015-transition-trans-am-29er-review/

View attachment 70765

OP, jump on this it is a nice bike well maintained and should be the right size @qclabrat you ride a medium right?

BPaze

Plus if you buy used and lose interest you should be able to resell at minimal to no loss.

qclabrat

OP, jump on this it is a nice bike well maintained and should be the right size @qclabrat you ride a medium right?
yep, but it seems to run small, I needed a 90mm stem to be comfy
but not selling it for $600 as mentioned of the Dick's bike, will be closer to the $900-1000 range

sgibby88

W
yep, but it seems to run small, I needed a 90mm stem to be comfy
but not selling it for $600 as mentioned of the Dick's bike, will be closer to the $900-1000 range
The 600 gt is what sparked my interest. I do plan on spending between the 800 to 1000 range. Possibly a little more if I really like what I see. But I’m not trying to break the bank either as I don’t know how I’ll feel about this hobby. That looks like a very nice bike your selling

mwlikesbikes

Welcome and good luck in your bike search. Check out all your local shops, they may have some nice leftovers you can pick up at a discount. Just be sure it’s the right size, anything that feels off when you’re wheeling it around the parking lot will be amplified once you hit the trail.

Top Bottom