Same issues with SRAM level brakes as with recalled guide brakes

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I replaced mine with Shimano XTs. That's the easiest fix for me. Gave the Guides to a buddy to experiment with.... like a cadaver.

Trade a lever that doesn't work for a caliper that leaks and squeals, seems like a good move ;)

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Trade a lever that doesn't work for a caliper that leaks and squeals, seems like a good move ;)
My brakes are only there for show since they only slow you down. A stuck lever won't let the wheel spin. I hang a bucket under the calipers to catch the drippings. Squeals? Yes please.

Dingo

My brakes are only there for show since they only slow you down. A stuck lever won't let the wheel spin. I hang a bucket under the calipers to catch the drippings. Squeals? Yes please.

The XT man!

Catch the drippings to make gravy.

qclabrat

Do Codes have the same lever issues? planning to replace the XTs on the Rallon for either Codes or Zee/Saints

Eddie Z

I have Guide Warranty levers in stock. They work if you want them.

These SRAM Guide RS brakes have been such a stone in my shoe!!! I sold a fatbike to a CT friend. He drove the round trip to NJ to pick up the bike. As soon as he got the bike home, he had problems with the brake. He's no bike mechanic, so he brought the bike to the LBS where (after some attemps at brake bleeds) it was discovered that it's a warranty item. Now we're in sort of a bike shop hell, where the costs are mounting: Brake Bleeds X2, calls to SRAM, no end in sight. I'm trying to find the least painful, quickest, cheapest way thru this. One possibility is to just buy a $90 Shimano brake and send it up to him, which he's willing to install himself. ughh. Wished I could just hand this bike to you, but it's not that easy.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I had mine warrantied with no issues. Dropped the bike off Tuesday, picked it up Thursday. It was like ~$50 to bleed them.

Granted I just completely trashed the pads in one day of riding and need to bleed them again, but that is besides the point.

Sounds like your boy needs a new shop to deal with!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
These SRAM Guide RS brakes have been such a stone in my shoe!!! I sold a fatbike to a CT friend. He drove the round trip to NJ to pick up the bike. As soon as he got the bike home, he had problems with the brake. He's no bike mechanic, so he brought the bike to the LBS where (after some attemps at brake bleeds) it was discovered that it's a warranty item. Now we're in sort of a bike shop hell, where the costs are mounting: Brake Bleeds X2, calls to SRAM, no end in sight. I'm trying to find the least painful, quickest, cheapest way thru this. One possibility is to just buy a $90 Shimano brake and send it up to him, which he's willing to install himself. ughh. Wished I could just hand this bike to you, but it's not that easy.

if the shop didn't know it was a warranty issue immediately, he is at the wrong shop.

one piece crank

Is this simply a warranty issue or "recall" outside the typical 1-year?

I've got a set of older DB5 levers with the same symptom, so I'm probably looking at the SRAM lever rebuild kits...

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Is this simply a warranty issue or "recall" outside the typical 1-year?

I've got a set of older DB5 levers with the same symptom, so I'm probably looking at the SRAM lever rebuild kits...
Bring it to your local shop you should get new lever is a no cost to you

Citytrikeguy

Reviving an old thread. I purchased some guide T brakes and now I’m wondering if it was a mistake. A few of you seem to be the authority on warranty replacement of the levers. I did read that if there’s a serial number the lever should be good. Here’s a few pictures. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• FF2C37D8-DA40-4C43-8E02-A841C046603C.jpeg
    FF2C37D8-DA40-4C43-8E02-A841C046603C.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 4E07F1EB-9C98-4195-BE91-5FD6B2129733.jpeg
    4E07F1EB-9C98-4195-BE91-5FD6B2129733.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 85
  • BA369605-430E-43A9-B113-6A0ADD314DBC.jpeg
    BA369605-430E-43A9-B113-6A0ADD314DBC.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom