Augusta training series races

Ironjunk

First road race ever, B race stayed with the main group the entire time tried to take shelter as much as I could. I couldn't predict surges ahead of time and had to pull back a lot. That last turn really sucks and kills momentum but it's a good workout going up the hill and good for breaking a group. The last lap I pulled out front for 2 minutes, turned it to 11 and got roasted. Satisfied I kept up, and shook it up on the last lap. B race group average ~22.2mph.

Ironjunk

I had off Tuesday so I tried it again. It was hotter than last time I rode, upper 80's I think instead of 45. Squared up more forward than last time. I had no problem holding on the front. They called for the prime lap, I think they give a prize for "winning" mid race. Since the first race was pretty uneventful I decided to push randomly. When they called the prime lap I was so antsy to get to the front I would bounce in and out of the peloton trying to assert myself a little. The last corner I went wide into my own air and just blew myself up getting 3rd across the line.

After that I was holding on ok trying to hold onto the front group of 4 guys. I was never in front but I pulled a little...imo I have no place in front but I feel like as a bigger rider its kind of cheesy to ride behind people all race and just blow them away at certain points, but I guess that's how bike racing works.

A little over 2/3 through my 20oz water was almost gone and I was just dropped off the front. I took an easy lap then put my forearms on the bars and get low to try to see how far I could get. I sprinted over the line to make the best of my workout and finished 1/2 lap down from the pack.

My only issues are asserting myself in the pack, I would often get pushed out then ride on the side for no reason. They say that the best place to be is like a few riders off the front, but that's the entire front pack, so it's no big deal to be the last in the front. One guy in the front pack said work together but I was redlining. Again as a bigger guy and having no data or power I can't pace myself I just go in front to blow out.

DownhillR3

Well, I participated last week. It was fun. Definitely thought it was going to be harder. I've never ever done a road race or even rode a bike in a group before. Riding in a group requires like no effort!

Ended up finishing 5th after a breakaway happened super early in the heat of 4 guys. I came from about 6-7 back in the main field and won the sprint.

Next time will be entering the "A" class.

Top Bottom