Nassau is closed indefinitely as of February 15

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I think that park staff employed by the state, counties, or whomever should take some responsibility in providing regular (daily) trail condition updates and posting signs. Blanket closures would unnecessarily limit trail use during times when restrictions would be unreasonable due to unseasonably warm and dry weather or sub-freezing weather that renders the trails fully rideable. In turn, I would think the closures would be disregarded and become ineffective.

I am not a proponent of more rules or government involvement when it comes to most things but we pay exorbitant sums of money in taxes in this state and expecting some service from those who are paid to provide it is not unreasonable. I also find it a bit hard to swallow when I hear general statements like "park staff has taken notice of trail damage and and is not happy." WTF does that mean!? I have never seen a park employee on a trail at 6 mile or most of the other places I ride (when conditions permit). Ironically, I see MCPS staff at Harshorne all the time and for some reason that park has the reputation of being uncared for. Maybe if the park staffs were more involved then trail users would care more. The appearance now is that no one cares. I'm in no way saying that gutting muddy trails is ok but when the perception is that the park service is disinterested then why should anyone else care? Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I don't ride mud but I do think there is a perception out there that no one cares. I don't think 99% of trail users realize that trail maintenance is provided by volunteers. Those of us on this site definitely represent a fringe demographic of cycling.

I am also tired of cyclists taking the brunt of the blame. I get that bike tires leave unmistakable tracks but I have seen quite a lot of deep foot prints and hoof prints in mud, as well. Oh and let's not forget about the dog crap and horse crap that litters the trails...

Xler8

I think that park staff employed by the state, counties, or whomever should take some responsibility in providing regular (daily) trail condition updates and posting signs.

Highly doubt that any state, county, or town really cares that much about any trail system that they would be willing to devote resources to promote better trail health.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Highly doubt that any state, county, or town really cares that much about any trail system that they would be willing to devote resources to promote better trail health.

It also becomes extremely difficult when places like 6MR might be primo from 6-9AM and then go to crap for the rest of the day.

Jeffreywoliver

Nassau/Sprinside were closed due to conditions of the trails in many places; including both lots that have significant parking ruts. We are looking into getting stone for the lots. It was initiated by those of us who built and the volunteers who continue to maintain the trails. This is not permanent, though the town has been informed. We’ve asked that all trail users honor this closure because it is a multi-use Trail and all users do damage when the trails are soaked. We expect to keep the trails closed until significant repairs can be made, though we will probably have freezes intermittently during that time. Hopefully, this is a short-term closure. At any rate, hopefully it sends a signal to bonehead users, who disrespect the work that’s been done to build and maintain these trails. It also signals to the town that we are self-policing this public space. I know who a few of the culprits are because I see their strava posts on shitty weather days. If it’s someone you know, please tell them to stop being a d-bag. You won’t get arrested or even ticketed for riding at Nassau during this closure. It’s more or less on you to respect our request not to ride the trails. Hope this provides some useful information.

ktmrider

I think all trails in NJ should be closed for mtbing from Dec.- Mar and open to xc skiing. We just need the snow, can someone make that happen?
View attachment 63769
This is something that I hope will happen , it was very upsetting to come back and walk the trails and see the damage . Find another fucken sport . There is more to life then biking

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
This is something that I hope will happen , it was very upsetting to come back and walk the trails and see the damage . Find another fucken sport . There is more to life then biking
There is more to life than getting getting high also.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I’ll put it simply. We need to self police or we will loose access permanently.

State and local parks are wildly underfunded. If they had the funds, they would be closing trails on days when they are in jeopardy of damage.

Park managers are wildly aware of the impact of MTBers riding in the thaw. We are under the microscope. Our only saving grace is that our user group shows up to build trails more than others. If not, we would have been banned everywhere by now.

Use your head. If your lawn is too muddy to ride laps on, the trails are the same.

Do your part and educate a friend on this today. This isn’t a free for all. There are well organized groups who’d rather not see us on the trials at all in any conditions. You had better bet that they are sending photos of these rutted up trails to the park Staff. (I’ve been copied on these email before). Be a grown up. Stop messing stuff up for the rest of us. It’s selfish and ignorant. We have all been out on a day that started awesome and then turned to shit when it go warm. Be aware of the weather and lead by example.

I’ll add a last note that is a bit self motivated.
I spend at least a month every spring fixing the gutting 6mr sees every winter. I’d rather spend these hrs building new stuff, but I can’t. Be a pal. Be aware that your actions impact others.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Man you really like to judge , Love for you to stand in front of me and say that
Its cool man, I'm sure you can tie me in a pretzel after i say it in person. Only pushing the same judging you did to the other guy.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I’ll put it simply. We need to self police or we will loose access permanently.

State and local parks are wildly underfunded. If they had the funds, they would be closing trails on days when they are in jeopardy of damage.

Park managers are wildly aware of the impact of MTBers riding in the thaw. We are under the microscope. Our only saving grace is that our user group shows up to build trails more than others. If not, we would have been banned everywhere by now.

Use your head. If your lawn is too muddy to ride laps on, the trails are the same.

Do your part and educate a friend on this today. This isn’t a free for all. There are well organized groups who’d rather not see us on the trials at all in any conditions. You had better bet that they are sending photos of these rutted up trails to the park Staff. (I’ve been copied on these email before). Be a grown up. Stop messing stuff up for the rest of us. It’s selfish and ignorant. We have all been out on a day that started awesome and then turned to shit when it go warm. Be aware of the weather and lead by example.

I’ll add a last note that is a bit self motivated.
I spend at least a month every spring fixing the gutting 6mr sees every winter. I’d rather spend these hrs building new stuff, but I can’t. Be a pal. Be aware that your actions impact others.
This is the point, how do we self police? Suggestions?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This is the point, how do we self police? Suggestions?

Talk to your friends who ride and especially those who are new riders.

Educate them that riding muddy conditions isnt cool or acceptable and that it Isn’t a free for all.

Many people think that trails just appear and that access is a right.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions