MTB Set-up

Jeffreywoliver

Struggling a little with set-up of my new MTB (BMS Speedfox 02 XT). Way different than my 2004 Stumpjumper. Of course, I’ve only ridden it twice, so it’s early. Just feels a lot more slack, less aggressive. I flipped the stem and may need to go longer. Any suggestions on MTB position basics? Coming from a mostly road background position feels sort of like Mr. Rogers.

Jeffreywoliver

Nassau Trail and a bit of Vorhees State Park. Signed up for ST#1. Thinking of a longer stem, but will give it a few solid rides first.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just feels a lot more slack, less aggressive. I flipped the stem and may need to go longer. Any suggestions on MTB position basics?
Well, it should feel more slack and less aggressive, which should make descents easier. It also has a dropper which should also help with downhills and rollers. Use the dropper and get used to it, it really makes a big difference.
A longer stem will make the handling less responsive/aggressive. Do you feel cramped in the cockpit? Did you get a large? Is the top tube long enough for you? You could slide saddle back and or experiment with stems. A lot of this is trial and error, doing one micro adjustment at a time to dial in fit.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you get sized for the bike or YOLO order online? 2004 to 2018 geo is a big jump, but bikes definitely went slacker and longer since.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
ride with your elbows out, and bent. this will bring your chest down. when it starts getting more technical, you'll absorb more.
Ryan also had a good tip - roll the brake handles up a bit to get your hands behind the bars, instead of on top. (don't go nuts, small change goes a long way here)
this does a couple wonderful things, like reducing front dismounts, and relieving stress on elbows.

did you transition to 1 finger braking yet?

good luck with the new whip!

Jeffreywoliver

Did you get sized for the bike or YOLO order online? 2004 to 2018 geo is a big jump, but bikes definitely went slacker and longer since.

Yes, I ordered from a shop and we discussed size before ordering. It’s just a big change that I will need to dial in. I don’t do much online ordering except tires, etc.

Jeffreywoliver

Well, it should feel more slack and less aggressive, which should make descents easier. It also has a dropper which should also help with downhills and rollers. Use the dropper and get used to it, it really makes a big difference.
A longer stem will make the handling less responsive/aggressive. Do you feel cramped in the cockpit? Did you get a large? Is the top tube long enough for you? You could slide saddle back and or experiment with stems. A lot of this is trial and error, doing one micro adjustment at a time to dial in fit.

My bike didn’t come with a dropper, but I may get one eventually. Cockpit doesn’t feel cramped, really, just different. I flipped the stem and will tinker with some minor adjustments and give it some time before going longer. Thanks for the advice.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looking at the specs on that, it's a fully modern trail bike. Which means a dramatically different center of gravity and body position. The front is way longer and your weight much further back compared to older bikes. I'd suggest not trying to make it feel like your older bike as you'll be fighting years of bike design evolution. It's possible a racy, weight forward bias sort of bike might feel more like what your accustomed to.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I checked the geo, nothing unexpected.... Bars could be a little wider though IMO. Wider bars will make it "feel" as if the stem was longer.....Adds a little more stability in the rough too. Really, as long as it's not the wrong size, and you stated it wasn't, it just may take a couple rides until you're comfortable. Big change from what you're used to.....

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Jeffreywoliver I remember your old bike. LOL. If this bike didn't feel a lot different, I'd be surprised.

Trail bikes are really slack compared to what you're used to. You can try to make it more XCish with a different bar (a sweep Instead of a riser) and a longer stem.

Jeffreywoliver

Clearly, not being a mountain biker primarily, I didn’t fully appreciate the difference between “Trail” and “XC”. I went for Speedfox vs Fourstroke and perhaps should have gone the other way. That combined with the general evolution of mountain bikes is a big difference from what I’m used to.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Clearly, not being a mountain biker primarily, I didn’t fully appreciate the difference between “Trail” and “XC”. I went for Speedfox vs Fourstroke and perhaps should have gone the other way. That combined with the general evolution of mountain bikes is a big difference from what I’m used to.

For the endurance events you were talking about, your bike would be ok. Just set up in a more aggressive position, possibly get some light wheels, you'll be ok.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's

I recall my first time shopping a new bike. "Cross country?" Yes, I want to ride all over the countryside. I assume that's what they mean...

"All mountain?" Why would I want to ride only parts of it?

"Trail bike?" Well yeah, that's what it's for right? I do indeed plan on riding trails.

You are not alone here.

Top Bottom