Update Trail Directory

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah no worries, I was just trying to say that just because one site has more "trails" than the other, doesn't necessarily mean it has more trails. Maybe it does in this case though. I tried to use mtbproject a few times because it was big out west, but I think it's a pile of garbage. Whenever I'm planning to ride someplace new, I might get some info from mtbproject or trailforks, but in the end I just grab routes off strava and put them on my garmin.

Grabbing GPX is my approach when I want to hit the "best" loop at an unknown park. But I tend to be in an exploring mood these days.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Grabbing GPX is my approach when I want to hit the "best" loop at an unknown park. But I tend to be in an exploring mood these days.

Yeah, I'm more talking about when I travel for work and want to get a ride in someplace new. I'd rather get a route that hits all the good stuff since I'm only gonna ride there once or twice.

68nova200

I don't really use either site so take this with a grain of salt, but quality > quantity. I took a look at trailforks for my local park, and what constitutes a "trail" is pretty silly. Like super tiny segments are considered a "trail." Also, I like how @68nova200 put most of the trails up there and would love to know where he came up with some of these names :p
I added most of those trails just so i could figure out where i was riding. The names were selected mostly because of the Norse heritage of the area and I am a Norseman myself.

gtluke

The Moped
TF allows downloading of gpx routes and trails. Here is a route I made in one of our trails. https://www.trailforks.com/route/lap-of-mill-pond-trails/download/
TF also has tracking in it's app now so you can use it like strava or any other gps app. I haven't tried it but know people that do because they hate strava.
I didn't click enough buttons.
Okay I'm sold that they did a good job with this. I hope it becomes more popular than strava for mountain bikers.
thanks for persisting.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I use Trailforks any time I visit a new park as a trail map. I used to use it on all my rides but I was pretty much the only one. As was already noted it's pretty good. With all the talk of trail conditions and how to communicate such information lately I think the trail conditions feature of TF could be a valuable tool....

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I didn't click enough buttons.
Okay I'm sold that they did a good job with this. I hope it becomes more popular than strava for mountain bikers.
thanks for persisting.

Trailforks is in bed with Strava. They have access to Strava data beyond open source. Vermont, specifically the 5k+ member VMBA, has recently added Trailforks to the mix despite a large partnership with their local proprietary trail software, Trailhub, because of this. Riding a place like Ascutney, with its myriad of trails, is pretty easy to do using Trailforks compared to other apps.

qclabrat

I must have missed this, is the trail conditions function now dead?
It's my go to place when Spring hits

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i cant even find the trail conditions widget on the site :( i posted about it earlier this year in the forum issues thread but nothing has happened . . .

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I am no website designer but a quick search for Trailforks widgets brought me to an official TF page where an array of free widgets that can be embedded in a website already exist. It seems to me embedding a widget would eliminate the concern of pushing people off the mtbnj website. You can even request a custom widget to fit specific needs.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Done!

iStock-165801664.jpg

theranch

Trailforks is in bed with Strava. They have access to Strava data beyond open source. Vermont, specifically the 5k+ member VMBA, has recently added Trailforks to the mix despite a large partnership with their local proprietary trail software, Trailhub, because of this. Riding a place like Ascutney, with its myriad of trails, is pretty easy to do using Trailforks compared to other apps.
Can you cite info stating that TF is in bed with Strava? ;)

Top Bottom