Tourne County Park Conditions

67FFD68F-509C-4C81-B0E3-74BFCDA71CA8.jpeg

OK, just finished red and purple. Great care must be taken and then it’s a fun ride. I spilled once on a turn covered in ice. That said, there’s only one other rider out today and he’s on a fat bike, so maybe I’m just foolish. :eek:

Later... met up with Tom who was on a fat bike and was able to hang with him pretty well until we hit that aggressive rock garden on blue.

Last edited:
Checked it out yesterday and it was too soft to ride on. Even places that are usually not bad. With some more rain coming tonight, best to stick to the road.
Good call, thanks for posting. Best to stay away until a deep refeeeze or until the ground can absorb the thaw/rain.

As you can suspect, the Tourne conditions are not good right now. However, I saw this guy out riding yesterday afternoon while the rain is pouring down. He's a pretty serious rider so I suspect that someone here knows him. And if so, could you please ask him to not damage the trails. There seems to be rumblings about Tourne trail access in recent months and there's no reason to ruin a good thing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1420877331#35313938428

Went to go check on conditions and this...
2663C5CE-4A3C-4624-B950-181BAB4A1599.jpeg

Snow is gone but probably downed trees / widow makers causing mcpc to close. Not sure what tomorrow brings but FYI if you were headed here.

Rode this morning. They close (or don't open) that gate pretty often especially if there is weather. You can park on the Boonton side.

Overall it was pretty good, fair amount of snow especially on the Mtn lakes side. I hit one soft spot on the....teal? It's the north-south trail between the rail trail and the upper lot. I have no idea how the place fared throughout the day.

Rode this morning. They close (or don't open) that gate pretty often especially if there is weather. You can park on the Boonton side.

Overall it was pretty good, fair amount of snow especially on the Mtn lakes side. I hit one soft spot on the....teal? It's the north-south trail between the rail trail and the upper lot. I have no idea how the place fared throughout the day.

Thanks for the update Dave. You probably got the best conditions of the day. Snow is for the most part gone by now. Tho in rockaway now by wildcat and about 3-5 in lower elevations.

At Tourne now. Crunchy snow starting to soften. On skinny tires so not good for me but fatty would be ok, tho would still be some work to pack down deep snow. Not sure of downfall so be forewarned.

Entrance to red from playground lot:
2B33F250-3100-45E9-91C4-958AFA01EA9E.jpeg

At Tourne now. Crunchy snow starting to soften. On skinny tires so not good for me but fatty would be ok, tho would still be some work to pack down deep snow. Not sure of downfall so be forewarned.

The short loop around the Mountain Lakes swimming area was packed from hikers and ridable (2 trees down). The rest was impossible even with 5" tires. There is still 6"+ of heavy snow. It is going to be difficult riding until more trails are packed down from the hikers/dog walkers.

I made some headway into the trails, we get an impromptu group ride of a dozen fatties going and the place will be perfect!

I followed a XC ski/snowshoe track off the lake loop for a bit, once I turned around and rode back down it wasn't so bad. Hopefully it warms up and softens some, the crust was tough. Conditons are more "slugging it out" than "gliding along".

Too bad we aren't organized. The three of us together might make some headway. Might try again tomorrow am with @fidodie if you cats are around.

IMG_6235.JPG

I made some headway into the trails, we get an impromptu group ride of a dozen fatties going and the place will be perfect!

I followed a XC ski/snowshoe track off the lake loop for a bit, once I turned around and rode back down it wasn't so bad. Hopefully it warms up and softens some, the crust was tough. Conditons are more "slugging it out" than "gliding along".

Too bad we aren't organized. The three of us together might make some headway. Might try again tomorrow am with @fidodie if you cats are around.

I am around but have no fat bike unless someone has an extra? Will trade beers for fatty.

View attachment 65096
I would be willing to add to the posse. I’m not fast, but I do have two wide-bodied friends: Bud & Lou. I was planning to try to ride somewhere tomorrow. Please post-up or P.M. with the meeting time and place if you decide to do this.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions