Dickerson Mine Preserve Conditions

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
It was like someone blew the leaves off the Orange tech trail. Some frost heave on the white trail up top but otherwise conditions are good. Large tree is down/blocking trail along lake before gate/Orange trail.

I'm going after that big tree near the lake this weekend probably.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
I cleared the tree on the lake trail this morning.

PANO_20171223_102225.jpg

IMG_20171223_103023.jpg

HiFiGuy

Any info on current conditions here? Did the Marty’s crew run that groomer they have?
Thanks

xc62701

Any info on current conditions here? Did the Marty’s crew run that groomer they have?
Thanks

Nope. I was there Sunday and broke trail on the top section of the white singletrack as I cut through the park. I'd imagine it's at least a little better today as the snow compacted some yesterday.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Thanks

There's not enough snow to take the snow mobile out and I got rid of the rokon a few months back.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got a couple of hours in yesterday... Conditions were excellent... About 3 inches or so I would guess
20180117_151149.jpg
20180117_161715.jpg

FitmanNJ

Rode Dickerson Mine in the early afternoon today. There's a thin, crusty ice base with a dusting of snow on the trails at the moment. It might be be safe with unstudded tires as the underlying ice has a some texture to it, along with the thin coating of snow -- hard to say. I had the good fortune of guessing the conditions right and had mounted up a studded Dillinger4 (front) and studded Dillinger5 (rear), which performed great. Sadly, when the layer of ice melts with warmer temps, it will probably leave the trails very soft and vulnerable. Get there and ride Dickerson before that happens if you can!

Kaleidopete

Rode Dickerson Mine in the early afternoon today. There's a thin, crusty ice base with a dusting of snow on the trails at the moment. It might be be safe with unstudded tires as the underlying ice has a some texture to it, along with the thin coating of snow -- hard to say. I had the good fortune of guessing the conditions right and had mounted up a studded Dillinger4 (front) and studded Dillinger5 (rear), which performed great. Sadly, when the layer of ice melts with warmer temps, it will probably leave the trails very soft and vulnerable. Get there and ride Dickerson before that happens if you can!
Ha..my set up is studded Dillinger 4 rear and Dillinger 5 front

FitmanNJ

Pete, some online comments have mentioned how narrower tires (non-fat tires being even better than fat tires) place more pounds of weight per square inch on the tire contact surface, including the studs. This is purported to improve traction on ice. It seemed to make sense, so I’m giving it a try. So far, the experiment seems to be working, but I haven’t had very many rides on ice, yet, to thoroughly test the concept. On the other hand, you seem to do fine out there on the lakes in Waywayanda...

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tried to ride it this am. It’s a luge track. So unless you have a luge, a dope ass sled, or a burning desire to join Redbull Crashed Ice, stay away.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
4.6" Flowbeist/Dunderbeist (non-studded, but a very aggressive tread) on Marge Lites (65mm). I set air pressure mostly by feel. yesterday I was above snow pressure (super squishy feel, like 2-3 lbs) and below hard pack feel. So I would estimate 5-7lbs. If you look at the first pic you can see the ice, it was nearly studded itself. Orange though, different story, it gets so much sun. I bailed less than half way through, would have needed studs there.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
So, lots of snow/ice/rain yesterday. Any chance DM won't be a skating rink tomorrow morning? Overnight lows dipping below 20 so it will be frozen, just not sure if it will be solid ice or rideable snow. I do not have studded tires.

xc62701

I was here at the start of the last snowfall and there was already a bunch of large trees down. Biggest section I can think of is on white by the mulch pile there are two trees down on the descent from the road crossing and on the switchback up there are a few. On blue there's at least 1 or two trees down and on the orange beach trail there are two trees down. On the new yellow there is one tree down. Most of these are easy to bypass but it does mess up the flow of the park. Has anyone been out there since the big snowfall? Curious as to how conditions may be.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know @Jason has been working on some of the trees, but I'd imagine the snow is not rideable. I tried to hit it after the first storm and it was a bust....can't imagine what it's like after the second dump.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
There are still some more trees to tackle and the one behind the mulch site is massive! My chainsaw has been acting up so we'll have to see how things work out this weekend if I can get out with the saw. It's a lot of work lugging the saw around on snow shoes!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions