Generic Pro Road Cycling Thread

ilnadi

wow, I got to watch the last 6 km of the stage today (advantage of working from home, keep an eye on the live text feed, run over to the TV when they start climbing). A motorcycle stalled and fell over at some point. the non-spoiler-free comments later

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
If it wasn't for the TTT it'd be perfect.... F#cking TTT, I hatez it!

Froome is the obvious favorite because of the TTT...(and winning all the other ones). But wait? The course is designed to literally kill him!?!? Sweet!

Will Nibz Resurrect 2014? Is it finally time for one of the Sky "super Domestiques" to grab personal glory? Will an unshackled Landa live up to the hype? Will the NBCSC continue to prop up "Q" as if he's a legitimate GC contender for this course? Will the true sprinters bother to show up?

SAGAN!!!!!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-2018-route-revealed/

Hold on to your hats. There WILL be blood in the water. Cuz with the roadz under water half the day (you know that shits gonna be slick.) And you add in a slew of new/nervous riders at the start of a brutal tour... Someone's going down.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
If it wasn't for the TTT it'd be perfect.... F#cking TTT, I hatez it!

Froome is the obvious favorite because of the TTT...(and winning all the other ones). But wait? The course is designed to literally kill him!?!? Sweet!

Will Nibz Resurrect 2014? Is it finally time for one of the Sky "super Domestiques" to grab personal glory? Will an unshackled Landa live up to the hype? Will the NBCSC continue to prop up "Q" as if he's a legitimate GC contender for this course? Will the true sprinters bother to show up?

SAGAN!!!!!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-2018-route-revealed/

Hold on to your hats. There WILL be blood in the water. Cuz with the roadz under water half the day (you know that shits gonna be slick.) And you add in a slew of new/nervous riders at the start of a brutal tour... Someone's going down.
Pray hard for wet cobbles, which is what did Froome in before.

None of these Sky "super Domestiques" seem to pan out when they leave sky. Porte still has potential pan out but that dude can't keep the bike upright. Landa has potential but no team, other than Quick Steep, has the depth of Sky. Sagan going to mow everyone down but he always there anyways.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Oops. A and B sample test positive taken during the Vuelta.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-chris-froome-salbutamol-case-is-terrible-for-the-sport/

Sky’s gonna need to do a hell if a lot of “spin control ” to explain double the extremely generous limit of this drug.

Having had a long period of bad asthma and routinely blown way past the dosage recommendations with random abandon in my 20’s I can state categorically that a dosage THIS high is very similar to doing a line of cocaine. A FAT line at that.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Oops. A and B sample test positive taken during the Vuelta.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-chris-froome-salbutamol-case-is-terrible-for-the-sport/

Sky’s gonna need to do a hell if a lot of “spin control ” to explain double the extremely generous limit of this drug.

Having had a long period of bad asthma and routinely blown way past the dosage recommendations with random abandon in my 20’s I can state categorically that a dosage THIS high is very similar to doing a line of cocaine. A FAT line at that.
What a bunch of crap. Wiggo gets cleared and the sky coach admits that they used TUEs to get his levels as close to the legal limits as possible, without going over. Sound familiar to the hemocrit race?

Sky was on this like flies on shit with a response, much different than how they handled the wiggo case. Sounds like the marginal gains BS is crumbling.

CrankAddictRich

I read an interesting article from a doctor saying that if this was from his inhaler, he'd need something in the order of 80 puffs to get a concentration that high. Since the positive test came after the stage, it would mean we would have all been watching him use the inhaler the entire race. Secondly, if he was in fact using the inhaler that much, that in and of itself means he violated the rule.

He has to prove that he used the inhaler normally and it resulted in a spike of twice the allowable limit.

There are a lot of people saying that salbutamol doesn't enhance performance... but that's not entirely true. It seems that tests have shown it doesn't enhance performance if its taken via inhaler, but there have been some tests showing that it does have performance enhancing qualities if taken as an oral supplement or via needle... with similar effects as clenbuterol, which is shown to increase fat burn and help muscles recover. Clenbuterol is what Contador got popped for a few years ago. My guess is that he was taking pills or possibly injections with the Use Exemption for the inhaler as a cover.... but he screwed something up with the timing of taking a dose and got caught.

CrankAddictRich

Guys guys guys. I was at a coffee shop after a bike race today and Alex Howes walked in. A real live World Tour rider and finisher of all three Grand Tours. I creepily asked him for an awesome picture. Am I going to be famous??!
View attachment 53097

Just discovered this "ROAD" thread here on MTBNJ. I think that his gf is from NJ. He regularly posts pics from NJ, usually in the late May/June time frame when the pro teams take a small break and the racers are all in their countries to race nationals.

hotsauce

@CrankAddictRich @soundz
Alex's girlfriend Jess grew up in Gloucester Co so he goes there on occasion. When I saw him, he jumped in the P/1/2 race and hung at the back until the race exploded then drug the whole field up to the breakaway. I think he finished mid-pack but I'm sure he could have won if he wanted to.

The coffee shop is Endgrain in Pitman. A cycling friend who rides road, cross, and some MTB for Caffeinated Cyclist owns it. Stop by if you're rolling through.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@CrankAddictRich @soundz
Alex's girlfriend Jess grew up in Gloucester Co so he goes there on occasion. When I saw him, he jumped in the P/1/2 race and hung at the back until the race exploded then drug the whole field up to the breakaway. I think he finished mid-pack but I'm sure he could have won if he wanted to.

The coffee shop is Endgrain in Pitman. A cycling friend who rides road, cross, and some MTB for Caffeinated Cyclist owns it. Stop by if you're rolling through.

Holy hell that's way down there. I put it on my NJ coffee list.

https://foursquare.com/user/4942716/list/espresso--nj

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So here we go again, the real start of the season with the Cobbled Classics (semi, yes @seanrunnette).

Been a good preseason with Tour Down Under and even the Middle Eastern races not following the same old script, well maybe the same but the next generation is showing their faces.

Sagan with a handful of wins at TDU but passed on the opening Belgian weekend with bigger targets later this spring. Meanwhile GVA didn’t even top 10 OMP and KBK where Sep tore people a new ahole on the Mur but couldn’t make it stick but still podiums. Can he live up to his expectation this year?

Viviani on fire with the overall at abudabbi (insert real name) and beating the big names and obviously taking advantage of the well oiled quick step train.

That midget Ewan, while squeaking a few wins, still can’t hang with the big boys and only succeeds if the lead out is absolutely perfect.

The British midget cavendish, nabs one win but then crashes out in the nuetral zone this week!? Caravan auto brakes the cause?

Kittel, while close one time this week is all jelly his old train isn’t there but he will likely still be tearing shit up by TDF time.

In any case, Strade Bianca this week, which is always one of the better races of the year.

Top Bottom