Astark

Whale Farts
First time in snow with Fat bike today for me as well - tough indeed , a slog of a ride - not sure I'm a fan. Probably a lot more fun with a group.

I just got myself a new/used bike with 27.5+. Getting going and Turning were quite interesting in the snow today. I did take a pretty good tumble but honestly with ski pants and the cushion of the snow it wasn’t too bad.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I just got myself a new/used bike with 27.5+. Getting going and Turning were quite interesting in the snow today. I did take a pretty good tumble but honestly with ski pants and the cushion of the snow it wasn’t too bad.
Post pictures of the said bike... or it didn't happen

qclabrat

First time in snow with Fat bike today for me as well - tough indeed , a slog of a ride - not sure I'm a fan. Probably a lot more fun with a group.

welcome to the world of snow biking, start messing around with the tire pressures
Most folks are dialing in single digits on tubeless, in tubes I was in the low teens

Nothing you can do about slow slogging, that's snow riding for you
After a few rides, you'll figure out some new skills you'll need to develop to stay upright, especially for downhill switchbacks

rick81721

Lothar
welcome to the world of snow biking, start messing around with the tire pressures
Most folks are dialing in single digits on tubeless, in tubes I was in the low teens

Nothing you can do about slow slogging, that's snow riding for you
After a few rides, you'll figure out some new skills you'll need to develop to stay upright, especially for downhill switchbacks

If it's rideable at all. From my limited experience (last 5 years) around here, more often than not, going out in the snow is a waste of time.

Astark

Whale Farts
Post pictures of the said bike... or it didn't happen
of course!

The new bike has tubeless 27.5+ X 3”. Started out with 18 but ended off dialing it down to 13 which made for a lot better traction. I’m looking forward to the next storm and getting out again.

Here is a pic of the new ride

Attachments

• 4A6A3E26-6667-4431-A3E6-1611D407AAB4.jpeg
    4A6A3E26-6667-4431-A3E6-1611D407AAB4.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 268

thegock

If you have a fat bike and the snow is less than 6-12" deep, you should have no problem riding the snow.

There are a new set of challenges, of course, and diminishing returns with deeper snow, but Sunday I saw a guy clear a very technical section of trail that he hadn't even seen before in about 4" of unbroken snow.

In the last five years of snow riding, I would say that a regular mtb is a lot less fun in the snow, doe. The fattie made all the difference with tubeless and low tire pressure.

Or you could move to FLA @rick81721...

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
The new bike has tubeless 27.5+ X 3”. Started out with 18 but ended off dialing it down to 13 which made for a lot better traction. I’m looking forward to the next storm and getting out again.

Here is a pic of the new ride
Looks like you went all out... nice!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
@GreenMachine, things to keep in mind when the snow gets a little deeper.

1) Momentum is your friend. It’s a hell of a lot easier to keep it going than starting and stopping in snow.

2) Don’t oversteer. Turning the wheel breaks traction causing front wheel washout. Gentle bike lean while keeping your weight centered is better.

3) Keep a light front wheel. Keeping your weight back will allow the front wheel to keep from digging in and stopping you dead in your tracks.

And none of this matters if your not running sub 5 psi.

qclabrat

Got it from my buddy who deals in used bikes. I was about to the pull the trigger on a new bike but this bike came along at the perfect time and snatched it up.
nice ride Mr Whale, I'd think about trimming the steerer as you get it dialed in

qclabrat

If you have a fat bike and the snow is less than 6-12" deep, you should have no problem riding the snow.

There are a new set of challenges, of course, and diminishing returns with deeper snow, but Sunday I saw a guy clear a very technical section of trail that he hadn't even seen before in about 4" of unbroken snow.

In the last five years of snow riding, I would say that a regular mtb is a lot less fun in the snow, doe. The fattie made all the difference with tubeless and low tire pressure.

Or you could move to FLA @rick81721...

can you survive with 5" in the front and 4.5" rears to the the right float?
I ran 4" last year and anything over 8 inches gave me trouble as the wheels would dig in

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I ran 4" last year and anything over 8 inches gave me trouble as the wheels would dig in

With "good snow" absolutely. Last years snow sucked day one.... It was so unstructured, it was like riding on styrofoam beads. Even snowshoeing was meh till it set up a little.

thegock

Should be no problem under 6" of snow. I run 4.6" Spec GC on my Fatboy. But, like @Juggernaut said, low pressure is your friend.

During one of last winter's snow rides, we saw a mink playing around at Six Mile. He was sliding on the frozen creeks. One of the better snow ride experiences. Of course, there are days like 1/23/16, when blizzard conditions made everything not plowed rapidly unrideable and somewhat dangerous.

Night rides in the snow are the best.

Are you guys doing Stephens on Saturday?

qclabrat

Should be no problem under 6" of snow. I run 4.6" Spec GC on my Fatboy. But, like @Juggernaut said, low pressure is your friend.

During one of last winter's snow rides, we saw a mink playing around at Six Mile. He was sliding on the frozen creeks. One of the better snow ride experiences. Of course, there are days like 1/23/16, when blizzard conditions made everything not plowed rapidly unrideable and somewhat dangerous.

Night rides in the snow are the best.

Are you guys doing Stephens on Saturday?
I won't , need to take a trip down to VA
Hoping someone else would want to lead this week

Top Bottom