UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe the hunter can use the "she was coming right for us defense"

nqdIwzg.gif

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Wow - wrong place wrong time. Great to read the cyclist is expected to make a full recovery.

Wear your blaze orange and lots of it. If you have ever visited the hunters forums, you’d be amazed how many times they see riders out there. Sometimes they’ll take pictures of riders going through and post them.

rick81721

Lothar
Wow - wrong place wrong time. Great to read the cyclist is expected to make a full recovery.

Wear your blaze orange and lots of it. If you have ever visited the hunters forums, you’d be amazed how many times they see riders out there. Sometimes they’ll take pictures of riders going through and post them.

One advantage for us around here is most deer hunting is via bow. I wouldn't want to get hit by a polymer-tipped 270 round anywhere

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
One advantage for us around here is most deer hunting is via bow.
We were over at the WMA yesterday near Allaire and ran into a hunter going in with a shotgun. They hunt Pheasant too now with guns and he was telling us we are not supposed to be in there?? I'm not clear on that so we all just were like OK and left anyway.

MMuller

Wow. I was just bushwhacking on the cross bike in Shark River Park. Came to this beautiful open spot that I'd never been to before. Took out my phone to take a pic and I see a bow hunter coming into the shot. Freaked me out but apparently it's legal 1/2 hr before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, every day except Sunday. To me, in our densely populated area in a park full of kids, hikers, dogs, it's crazy to allow hunting. I'll have to start wearing an orange tee shirt over riding gear. What I had on was black with a white sleeve that looks like a deer's tail. Same at Allaire? Legal to hunt?

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
UPDATE from WMA site on this:
Mountain Biking Mountain bicycles (non-motorized) are allowed on all roads open to motor vehicle use year-round. Bikes are allowed on existing trails and secondary (woods) roads on Wildlife Management Areas from March 1 to April 15 and June 1 to September 15, as well as on Sundays throughout the year (see Assunpink exception in policy linked below). Use of mountain bikes is permitted year round if engaged in legal hunting and fishing activities. Bikes are not permitted on the Highlands Trail which passes through Berkshire Valley and Wildcat Ridge WMAs. Riding over any dam, wildlife food area, cultivated fields, lawns, gardens and fire break plow-lines is prohibited. Bikers are also prohibited from establishing any new trails through the destruction of existing vegetation. For more information, see the Mountain Bike Policy linked below

So it looks like after Sept 15 till March 1st no biking period at the WMA, except used for hunting..

Last edited:

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You are allowed to ride on Sundays during hunting season in a WMA.
I stand corrected Jim. I knew that but for some reason misread the my quote when it said "as well as Sundays" meaning no bikes.

This hunter also said they are allowed Bow hunting on Sundays now too.

On Monday, May 4, 2009, Senate Bill 802 was signed into law. This legislative change amends the law (N.J.S.A. 23:4-24) to legalize deer hunting on Sundays with a bow and arrow on Wildlife Management Areas and on private property only. The change does NOT include any firearm hunting for deer, nor does it allow any type of hunting with either bow or firearm for any species other than deer.

Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) are those public lands defined as being under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife. WMAs suitable for deer hunting are included on the list of land open to deer hunting. Legal Sunday bow hunting for deer became effective on the opening day of the fall 2009 hunting season.

Hunters are reminded that this privilege does NOT extend to other public lands, such as municipal or county parks, state parks or forests, or to any Federal lands. Therefore, you may legally bow hunt for deer on Sunday on any WMA open to deer hunting, but the following properties remain closed to Sunday deer hunting.

NO SUNDAY DEER HUNTING ON THE FOLLOWIHNG PROPERTIES:

All Township/Municipally-owned Lands

COUNTY PARKS
Atlantic County Park System (Zone 61)
Hunterdon County Park System
Mercer County Park System
Middlesex County Park System
Monmouth County Park System
Morris County Park System

STATE FORESTS
Abram Hewitt
Bass River
Belleplain
Jenny Jump
Lebanon
Norvin Green
Penn
Ramapo Mountain
Stokes
Wharton
Worthington

STATE PARKS and RECREATION AREAS
Allamuchy Mountain
Allaire
Bear Swamp Natural Area
Delaware & Raritan Canal
Double Trouble
Farney
Hacklebarny
High Point (Zone 67)
Kittatiny Valley
Long Pond Ironworks
Pigeon Swamp
Rancocas
Ringwood
Round Valley
Six Mile Run Reservoir
Spruce Run
Stowe Creek
Swartswood
Voorhees
Warren Grove
Washington Crossing
Wawayanda
NOTE: The former Wanaque WMA has been incorporated into Long Pond Ironworks State Park and is NOT open to Sunday bow hunting.

FEDERAL PROPERTIES
Cape May NWR
Delaware Water Gap NRA
D.O.D. Ponds
Earle Naval Weapons Station (Zones 39 & 40)
Edwin B. Forsythe NWR (Zones 56, 57, 58, 70)
FAA Technical Center (Zone 66)
Fort Dix Military Reservation (Zone 37)
Great Swamp NWR (Zone 38)
Lakehurst Naval Station (Zone 53)
Picatinny Arsenal (Zone 54)
Supawna Meadows
Wallkill River NWR

OTHER PUBLIC LANDS
All State of NJ Natural Lands Trust
Lizard Tail Swamp
Newark Watershed

SCOTTscale

One advantage for us around here is most deer hunting is via bow. I wouldn't want to get hit by a polymer-tipped 270 round anywhere
I wouldn't want to get hit with a bow either. Someone I know just shot a huge deer last week and the bow went right through it.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Personally, I like this one:

"The use of mountain bicycles engaged in legal hunting and fishing activities and Division sponsored events will be permitted on a year round basis."

So if one were to purchase a fishing license and carry around a minimal fishing kit, would they legally be allowed to ride bikes in a WMA year round?

I'm not going to comment on this any further because I don't want @trailhead to hate me :p

Top Bottom