suggestion for musician earplugs for musical events ?

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Ok, the title says it all. As I progress through the years, I value my hearing more and more. However, I also like to go to live shows and listen to music. BUT, those crappy foam earplugs cut out to much of the music and they suck, so I don't use them.

I checked amazon and most people either like the Alpines or Etymotic ER-20 ear plugs. Does anybody have any experience with any of these? Some say the Alpines are amazing, but then others say they are a dangerous design. Same with the Etymotic's.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i have blown out my ears throughout the years unfortunately. i have a crazy amount of tinnitus - i blame it on playing in bands for too many years. i personally normally use the old school foam ones. the secret to them at shows is to wear them for a long time before the show. you eventually adjust to having them in. sure they dull the sound, but if you wear them for a longer time, i find my brain adjusts. most people find them too dulling, and too annoying to wear for a long time before a show, but with the amount of damage i have done to my hearing, i think its worth the slightly duller sound.

that said - i have heard only good things about the alpines and never heard about the dangerous side to them.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I've always liked super leight plugs for disposable plugs. Used them for years for shows, both playing and audience. Most musicians I know use them. No experience with the fancy non disposable ones.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I never heard you can adjust to the volume level of foam plugs. But it makes sense. I'll try this next concert.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I've always liked super leight plugs for disposable plugs. Used them for years for shows, both playing and audience. Most musicians I know use them. No experience with the fancy non disposable ones.
I'll look them up thanks.

Karate Monkey

IMO, you hear what you need to hear. Foam plugs don't selectively dampen sound, they just dampen it in its entirety.

This is not something that's particularly easy to describe, but an example is for purposes of teaching (usually in a small, enclosed room), volume is straight up dangerous for many instruments that are being played at a normal volume. Do you lose some stuff at the extreme ranges? Sure, I guess, but you do what you need to to protect your ears. If total fidelity is vital to your experience, listen to it with headphones.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can stuff some paper towel in your ears if you forget to bring your plugs. I've also used regular in-ear earphones because I always carry them with my laptop.

Jmann

Some plugs can balance the sound blockage more evenly, but mostly your cutting the higher frequencies. It's really hard to cut low frequencies.
Me and my brother were just talking about this as our dad has tinnitus from working in loud machine shops, and we have even more exposure from music.
The most important thing is to use any type of hearing protection. I try to leave plugs in my car in case I forget (which I often do) to grab before a show. Some venues sell them but they are a rip off (I think terminal 5 charges 10 or $15 for disposable plugs). Hearing stories of tinnitus sounds awful. Same thing with sunscreen. Doctors keep telling us to use them but it's easy to be lazy and ignore the advice.

Jmann

Kudos for being proactive and being on the ball with protecting your ears.
A crazy thing I see is older people with tinnitus that don't have a specific reason to have tinnitus , and I know drummers who never wear plugs and seem to be fine. Doesnt make sense but shows you can't know how you'll be affected.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
A crazy thing I see is older people with tinnitus that don't have a specific reason to have tinnitus , and I know drummers who never wear plugs and seem to be fine. Doesnt make sense but shows you can't know how you'll be affected.

tinnitus isn't only from loud sounds. believe it or not, stress can cause it, anxiety (guilty as charged), fluid trapped in the inner ear from chronic sinus infections, TMJ, all sort of stuff can cause it, not just loud sounds/noises. i'll tell you that it sucks having it. sometimes i don't notice it, especially if there is white noise (like a fan going), but most days i hear it the entire day.

gtluke

The Moped
my brother had some custom ones made, he loves them. but he's a professional musical vagabond so he uses them constantly.

ryderX

ER20XS High-Fidelity Earplugs
82c22b5b-e7b3-4615-8d25-32dfecd24d62.jpg._CB279219059__SR230,100_.jpg

Etymotic Research, Inc. is an engineering-driven research, development and manufacturing company. The name 'Etymotic' (pronounced 'et-im-oh-tik.') means 'true to the ear.' Innovation, education and hearing conservation are central to Etymotic's mission.

0642b2f3-f8e9-4dd4-8a6d-b58bacbf8458.jpg._CB279231740__SR285,285_.jpg

The next generation of Etymotic's industry-leading ETYPlugs High-Fidelity Earplugs.

-YETI-

If you're willing to spend the $$ - Ultimate Ears are excellent - http://pro.ultimateears.com/microsonic-earplugs
Your local ear doctor will create a mold of your canals which you send in. In a week or so they send back custom ear plugs. The huge benefit here is that all frequencies are attenuated equally- so the music still sounds great without being too bass heavy like traditional earplugs.

When I lived in NYC I was going to concerts most weekends (recommended) and also getting my Bachelors in Music (not recommended). These held up for years.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Cheap Foam FTW. I played in a metal band for 20 years and used them during like 1,000 shows. Like Dave said, your brain adjusts and you miss nothing. That being said, I have to listen to my iPod with the volume maxed out because I've lost a good chunk of my hearing at this point.

Bonus #2, foam plugs don't hurt when you get punched in the head.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Going with fresh new disposable foam plugs. Ill put them in prior to the concert. I'll update everybody after the concert in Nov. Seeing Dream Theater at the Paramont in Asbury for all those who care.

The Squirrel

I've come to this one a little late. I'm glad to hear the foam worked for you.

Protecting my hearing is importants since I'd have to retire if I damage my hearing too much. If you're looking to try something new, I use Sensaphonics custom plugs with different inserts depending on the situation:

https://www.sensaphonics.com/er-series-musician-earplugs-custom

I use the 15's often and choose the 9's on occasion. I've yet to use the 25db inserts

I get my molds here:

http://www.musicianshearingsolutions.com/

Top Bottom