Elbow Pads that Protect Forearm?

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you break it down hilling or just cross country riding? I'd imagine body armor type stuff would be uncomfortable for cross country.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@avc8130 take this recommendation with a grain of salt:

i bought the six six one EXO elbow pads (https://www.sixsixone.com/exo-elbow-guard-black). they cover a good chunk of my forearm, but i'm on the smaller side... and the pads aren't hard plastic which makes them a little more comfortable to wear but i don't know how much it'll stop a break from happening on a really good crash. i also only really wear them downhilling (but i'm not doing any crazy shit on the trails). i bought them after i did a nice slow crash into a tree which took out a small chunk out of my forearm... i think it would have helped to have had them in that instance.

and feel better!

Piston Honda

IMG_20171023_114714.jpg
I run with these soft shell elbow/forearm pads. Like MissJR said, it's probably not going to stop a break. I also have a pair of Troy Lee ones that are like that 661--ie a sleeve with padding. They tend to slide down a lot. Hence why I like the Alpine Stars with the straps.

Fat Trout

I broke my arm crashing.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/post-your-booboos.2559/page-16#post-749937
I landed on a rock about Midway between my wrist and my elbow.

Are there any elbow pads that actually cover this area?
I bought these after a good crash. They are good and have a hard plastic piece inside. They go from the elbow down to just before you wrist. A little hot and do slide down a little but not a big deal. I like them but pick and choose when I wear them in warm weather. If I'm riding wet rocks I wear them for sure.
http://www.troyleedesigns.com/5550-elbow-guards-long

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
After a bad crash trail riding, a persons first reaction is to seek out protection. I think protection is a good idea (I would never give someone a hard time for wearing it), but its a slippery slope. You don't want to end up in a situation where you're just going to overheat yourself because you've overdone it. You need to think about what takes the hit most often when you crash. Sometimes where you hurt yourself is completely random. I spent the entire spring and early summer in PT because of a horrendous injury sustained from an impact to a part of the leg that I never hit in crash. I still can't figure out how it happened. I now wear light knee protection (totally not where I hurt myself), because it makes me feel more secure and loose on the bike. You need to strike a balance.

Fat Trout

After a bad crash trail riding, a persons first reaction is to seek out protection. I think protection is a good idea (I would never give someone a hard time for wearing it), but its a slippery slope. You don't want to end up in a situation where you're just going to overheat yourself because you've overdone it. You need to think about what takes the hit most often when you crash. Sometimes where you hurt yourself is completely random. I spent the entire spring and early summer in PT because of a horrendous injury sustained from an impact to a part of the leg that I never hit in crash. I still can't figure out how it happened. I now wear light knee protection (totally not where I hurt myself), because it makes me feel more secure and loose on the bike. You need to strike a balance.
Yup. What to wear and when to wear it is its own science. I went too far at first. Now I find myself wearing certain pads in certain places or no pads at all depending on where I'm riding and what the weather is.

avc8130

That is 100% my plan. You adapt the protection to match the risk you are willing to accept.

I can tell you right now, this broken arm SUCKS!

DownhillR3

That's a tough situation. Check POC, SixSixOne, possibly Dainese. Trail Riding in pads is tough, definitely on the fence between comfort and protection at that point compared to gravity fed riding.

Ian F

Even for DH riding, I've pretty much given up on elbow/forearm pads. None have ever fit well and always moved when I fell on them anyway. I may try again if/when I upgrade from my current iD7 back protector shirt. Not quite willing to go "full Aussie" (only knee pads a full-face).

Unfortunately, sometimes falls will break things regardless of the armor you're wearing.

qclabrat

reopening this thread, as I'm just falling too much on my bike and even my doctor thought it prudent to pick up some elbow and knee pads. When I started riding about 3 years ago, being clueless, I got a little anxious and bought these for local XC riding.
1530325247319.png

Quickly realized I got the wrong type, so ended up buying these, but still too bulky
1530325382454.png

Then went to these, better motion but too hot
1530325475484.png

Ended up not riding with pads for the last 3 years. And now have legs and arms like a 60 year old heroin addict, time to find pads and armor. I did a ton of research, and the plan was to get something still somewhat burly for the legs, as we are big skiers in the winter and want to do it for as long as I can. But go a little lighter on the arms since I tend to move my upper body lots when riding. Initially, the designs from Leatt (Airflex) and Dainese (Trail Skin) looked like the right choice, but after a hard fall today, I went the conservative route and ended up ordering a little more protection. I tend to scrap my forearms and shins a lot during falls so need more armor coverage. Also hit my arm pretty good as I hit the ground so a foam padded guard may not be the best option at the moment. Ordered these a few minutes ago. Fit as I've known is a hit and miss so we'll see how they are when they get here. Will eventually get some lightweight stuff, but these should be better than what I already have.

661 EVO elbow
1530326176669.png

Dakine Hellion knee
1530326255235.png

Attachments

• 1530325207087.png
    1530325207087.png
    297 KB · Views: 147

walter

Fourth Party
Oddly enough I have been doing a ton of research. Check bmx sites, albes, danscomp, source, empire, etc. Good stuff available

Top Bottom