Tourne County Park Conditions

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can I blame e-bikes?

The park has so many spots where the trail is re-routed. Clearly re-routed around rocky sections, almost like there's a TON of traffic on the new re-routes (and maybe there is?).

Do people really hate rocks that much? It's not like that place is really that technical...

Road it today for 25 minutes just to check out my spare bike while I had time, place was extremely dry.

xc62701

Heard parts of the red trail is closed... Is this true?

I ride here so often I forget the colors...lol. If you're referring to the trail out of the upper parking lot by the playground, there is a closure there on the split that usually goes right - that's closed. You can still traverse the park that way, but that option is gone. Everywhere else is paved and go arounds galore. At least it's more entertaining with the leaves right now.

threefour

Rode a few trails Dec 27, see attached pic. Most covered with leaves and light snow which made for tricky traction (was on a 29er). A couple of downed trees but nothing I couldn't carry the bike over. My reward for braving the 21 degree weather was having almost all the trails to myself :)
Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 6.36.15 PM.png

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fun today with really variable conditions. Some spots heavily drifted over and some almost bare ground. The mountain lakes side always seems like a good idea to loop but is usually worse for some reason. Over there a little deeper snow but a hard crust. Highlight was riding around on the lower lake, that was perfect. Too bad my phone pooped I had a great pic. Riding the stream from the swamp to the road was fun too.
Fatbike not required but helpful!

notcho

Tourne drains well but guessing any place is gonna be slop tomorrow. Red might be fine but the switchback on the denville side gets a little slick as the sun comes out. The middle white and light blue are gonna be sloppy and should be avoided. Gravel climb will be fine. Dark blue has a small wet spot but could be ok. If you go, go early and tread lightly. Or just hit the road.

notcho

went for a walk around 130 and was disappointed to see so many bikes in the park during the warmest part of the day. Didn’t venture deep into the park but everything looked to be a complete mess. Even the gravel climb to the top was torn up pretty bad. I get that people wanna enjoy the warm weather but com’on man. With the rain that we could get the next few days it’d be wise to stay away for a bit.
ED0A3DB5-0059-47F6-B9A8-BA39CB00C2BE.jpeg
0AF56CEE-33EF-49BB-99BF-BCE70527A868.jpeg

Mr. E Man

went for a walk around 130 and was disappointed to see so many bikes in the park during the warmest part of the day. Didn’t venture deep into the park but everything looked to be a complete mess. Even the gravel climb to the top was torn up pretty bad. I get that people wanna enjoy the warm weather but com’on man. With the rain that we could get the next few days it’d be wise to stay away for a bit.
View attachment 62374View attachment 62375
No Beuno. When the grounds are rideable.. Do you ride at Tourne often?

FitmanNJ

I went to The Tourne yesterday and it was below freezing initially. I thought it might be icy and was riding studded tires. There was a big (maybe 20’ long) strip of ice about 100 yards from where I parked, making me think that I’d made the right call on the tires. I didn’t hit a bit of ice for the remainder of the ride, though. As temps went slightly above freezing, the trails thawed a bit, but the softening was pretty much superficial. Depending on future precipitation, the park seems like it will be good for riding, particularly at those lower temps.

FitmanNJ

I went to The Tourne yesterday and it was below freezing initially. I thought it might be icy and was riding studded tires. There was a big (maybe 20’ long) strip of ice about 100 yards from where I parked, making me think that I’d made the right call on the tires. I didn’t hit a bit of ice for the remainder of the ride, though. As temps went slightly above freezing, the trails thawed a bit, but the softening was pretty much superficial. Depending on future precipitation, the park seems like it will be good for riding, particularly at those lower temps.
Ha, I just noticed those photos above my post — the trails are dry at the moment, but it looks like rain/melted snow could dramatically change that.

threefour

The trails were great this morning -- a bit of ice here and there but nothing that stopped my momentum. This was all before the snow and rain today so obviously it'll be different now. The swamp trail has a couple big logs down that need cutting.

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 8.48.26 PM.png

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions