Icarus documentary

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone else check this out on netflix yet? I thought Bryan fogel's process of doping with the help Grigory Rodchenkov was pretty interesting...however, the second part of the story with what russia has been doing to cheat the olympics forever....not surprising, but just wow. If you haven't seen this yet, check it out.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would pay for netflix for no other reason that is exponentially cheaper than a babysitter.

Anyway....the story got side tracked, but I would love to know what all of that doping actually cost Bryan Fogel.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I thought it was decent, but I agree with you - I wish it could have been more about the guy's doping regimen. Rodchenkov is not a very sympathetic character, and I don't say that because of his being the guy who ran the doping programs in Russia. He just came across as a guy completely consumed with his own self interest at the expense of everyone around him.

That said, I think I will never lose interest in doping stories - legal or otherwise. They just fascinate me for some reason. I was watching some of the Rich Piana footage that was excluded from Generation Iron, and steroids are basically legal in many contests for bodybuilding and his thoughts on the subject (as one of the most famous juiceheads of all time) were really interesting. I don't understand why they didn't include it in the movie.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good watch for sure , I was kinda doing laundry and bike maintenance during the first half and by the second half I was glued to the TV, might have to sit and re watch from the beginning

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought it was decent, but I agree with you - I wish it could have been more about the guy's doping regimen. Rodchenkov is not a very sympathetic character, and I don't say that because of his being the guy who ran the doping programs in Russia. He just came across as a guy completely consumed with his own self interest at the expense of everyone around him.
I liked both topics, but ya...Bryan was mentioning his FTP numbers and the increases he was seeing, more info would have been nice.

Agree about Rodchenkov....while its great that he came forward and told his story...I think about how bad he and his group may have totally fucked olympic results for decades.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought it was fascinating.

@pearl - I don't have Netflix, and I still use the USPS. How old are you, 90?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Between the constant battle to limit the technology arms race (heh) and the half measures taken to to eliminate doping, sometimes I wonder if we would just be better off saying eff it and make the Olympics ANYTHING GOES. AKA, SNL's All Drug Olympics circa 1988.

0c2b54c0-5f44-11e6-931b-41f4d375922e_SNL-Olympic.gif

And if you don't like it, you can all sit back and enjoy the pure unadulterated competition of amateur athletics where nobody dopes. ever. (Seriously...SEVEN banned substances? To win Masters 35+ Crits?)

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Watching this and Joe Rogan interview was pretty eye opening, or "staggering" like Joe said about 15 times. Whats even more amazing is the athletes that beat the Russians for gold in all those Olympics, what are they on? I think pretty much everyone is on the sauce at that level. This and the ayahuasca/DMT interviews that Joe does are pretty entertaining.

I think that the drug cocktail that Fogel was on is pretty par for the course (i.e. EPO, HgH, and a steroid). His results in the second Haute Route race were interesting though, as an observer it seems that the rest of the field was doing the same thing as him, they just had better genetic potential, better training, nutrition, and recovery. And probably youth too.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
sochi-olympic-russia-doping-1463187907649-master495-v2.jpg

The Russians used that hole to help them attain the glory of Olympic gold. So shouldn't the NY Times call it a "glory hole"?

(Thank you .... thank you ... be here all week. Please tip your waiters on the way out and remember: the 8:00 show is completely different than the 6:00 show ... )

Top Bottom