Bikepack to JORBA NJ Mountain bike Festival

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Bike Tour...aka...Bikepack...from Rockaway to the JORBA NJ Mountain Bike Festival at Shepherd Lake in Ringwood State Park.
Depart on Saturday 9/30/17 around 10am and camp out at Shepard Lake
Registration required for Camping
https://www.bikereg.com/34985

There will be.......singletrack, doubletrack, railroad grade, bridges, no bridges (stream fording), road riding

There may be........wild animals, mud, bike pushing, confusion, frustration, laughing

RSVP to trailhead #2 #2 at G mail dot com

P1010071.JPG

Last edited:

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
I have dry bags and straps to fully equip 2 more bikes, 1 extra tent and 2 bivies. You'll have to make your own arrangements for getting back to Rockaway on Sunday. Since I'm volunteering , will be staying late and getting a ride back home.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am somewhat interested, but I need to before Saturday:

- Fix my bike.
- Get a bivy or sleeping bag that rolls up smaller than a 29" wheel.

Disclaimers:

- I have no bike packing gear other than a bag that goes on my back.
- Also not sure I'd want to ride to RW and camp in the rain.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am somewhat interested, but I need to before Saturday:

- Fix my bike.
- Get a bivy or sleeping bag that rolls up smaller than a 29" wheel.

Disclaimers:

- I have no bike packing gear other than a bag that goes on my back.
- Also not sure I'd want to ride to RW and camp in the rain.

Sorry, I started a project tonight that became a cluster-f*ck. It is not looking likely for me for this weekend.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
If your on the fence, not sure, or need some guidance. I can be available Friday evening to setup your bike for Saturday.

Ability....
35 to 40 miles. You do need to be a strong rider, intermediate skill level on trails.

What you need....

Bike...we can make it work on most.
Backpack...large camelbak or day hiking pack

Clothes
your normal riding kit
Bathing suit
Something to change into after the ride, including footwear....flips or sandles. Hangout wear for the fest.
Sleepwear...you may want longs if your bag is thin.
These will all go into a bag hanging off your seat.

Sleeping bag
A 40 deg bag is recommended, but a single sized fleece, bed spread or flannel sheet can do if you wear longs. This goes in a dry bag hanging from the bars.

Sleeping pad...not needed. There are no rocks in ringwood. I have one for loan. Windshield sun screens or packing foams work well too.

Food
We can hit up a deli before camp, so you will not starve. I also have freeze dried meals which you can carry.

Tent...I have one tent and two bivies for loan.

I will supply for you:
Dry bags
Seat bag
Straps
Stove
Fuel
Bike repair tools...no guarantee on repairs
Pump
Navigation
Encouragement

Last edited:

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Loaded up and ready to go.

20170930_091846.jpg

20170930_091908.jpg

Because I run a small sized frame, the frame pack doesn't hold much as so I need to add the rear panniers for the needed capacity.

Frame pack - tube, pump, tire repair, tools, small parts, front and rear lights.

Bar mount - medium Revelate sweetroll with a 20 deg sleeping bag. Forecast was for 40 deg and wind, so I was little conservative here. One person tent wrapped in a plastic bag and strapped to the sweetroll.

Fork cages - sandles, inflatable sleeping pad

Cockpit - Garmin Montana, easy access pouch with camera, deterrent spray, snacks in the gas tank. Sweetroll hangs from Bar Yak mount.

Panniers - stove, fuel, lantern, micro down jacket in a drybag, toiletries with extra room for food supplies.

Pack - water, cook pot, food, first aid, rain gear.

Dry bag - clothing

The weight of the bike and all gear is about 50 to 55lbs.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
did you pack a full tent on that or just a rain fly? with that much stuff on a bike, i figure you would want to go ultralight.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
This setup is tailored to the trip. A casual all day touring ride through the best parts of North Jersey, with a comfortable sleep at the end of the day, ready to work the next day supporting the event....so.... full tent and comforts.

Ultralight is certainly appropriate for racing, or very long distances.

liong71er

This setup is tailored to the trip. A casual all day touring ride through the best parts of North Jersey, with a comfortable sleep at the end of the day, ready to work the next day supporting the event....so.... full tent and comforts.

Ultralight is certainly appropriate for racing, or very long distances.
20171003_084806.jpg

I have almost similar setup,except I go with woodstove instead fuel canister.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Last edited:
Top Bottom