The DIY thread - DIYourself

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Two things that help when keeping a high mileage car in the garage:

Rockauto.com, assuming the repair can wait a few days. If not, Advance Auto usually has a 20% code when you buy online and pick up in store.

The other is this
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YnkRzbRVARG20

Will post up my weekend car repair adventure in a bit.

i was able to pull the abs codes, and the 4wd codes - looks like a couple sensors and a loose wire.....i may start taking care of the POS for another year.
i picked one up with a dedicated app, figured i could get in their qa pipeline, and maybe learn something about it.

rlb

My weekend car repair adventure...

2006 Camry has 167k miles on it. Not in bad shape for the age, and I've been keeping up on the things like suspension & steering components. I'd love to get another 3 years out of it (until the new car is paid off), shouldn't be an issue. This weekend's project was to change the passenger side CV axle.

It's pretty straight forward in terms of disassembly, you just have to pull the swaybar link and 3 nuts/bolts that hold the ball joint to control arm in order to yank the axle. No big deal, all of that was replaced in November so it'll come off with little trouble. However I confused my lefty-loosie since the bolt was upside down (and my 1/2 ratchet doesn't ratchet so well anymore). I wind up tightening a ball joint nut, realizing my mistake, and begin to loosen it. However I spun the pressed in stud that the nut was on. I figured I could tack weld the stud and save the relatively new ball joint, so off to Depot to rent a welder. That went way smoother than my welding skills, which left me with a bunch of slag and a screwed up stud. I was able to pull the nut, but had to replace the ball joint. No big deal, I was in there already.

With everything out of the way I could now pull the axle. The passenger side is the long shaft which rides on a carrier bearing in the middle. In Toyota's wisdom the bearing seats into a bracket, so it must slide out of the bracket to remove the axle (vs. having a clam shell/u-shaped type bracket). Naturally it likes to seize in the bracket, and the design is such that you can't pull the axle and bracket together. The easiest way is to cut the axle. I thought my sawsall + carbide blades would make quick work of it. 1 hour and 3 blades later I finally made it through and pulled the assembly (arms are still sore from that one). At this point called it a day since guests were on their way (4 hours in). Hit the bracket with some PB blaster to soak overnight.

IMG_20170902_123818.jpg

Day 2, replaced ball joint which went smoothly. This was my method to get the bearing free from the bracket: Stand on the cinder block and swing. Took about 10-20 solid hits with the 4lb hammer. I'd still be trying to get this thing out if I didn't cut it.
IMG_20170903_104301~2.jpg

I pulled the old trans seal, which went fine aside from flinging ATF all over. This was directly above the exhaust, so it's a complication that will reward you with some nice smells. Upon seating the new seal I learned that there is no stop inside the trans housing, meaning I drove the seal too deep. No one stocks this thing locally so at this point I figured I'm screwed, but I miraculously was able to pull the new seal without damaging it. (more ATF all over). This time I used the end of a socket extension to tap the seal in, this was it wouldn't go deeper than the trans housing. Crappy pic, but it gets the point across.

IMG_20170903_124616.jpg

After that the rest of the reassembly went smoothly. In the end it was worth it, because the freeway vibration I had before is now gone.

Damn that was too long.....

Up next, replace the original drum brakes. And pull the DTC from the check engine light that appeared yesterday.

gtluke

The Moped
the bracket is there to support the jack shaft to keep both front axles at about the same angle. without that, with any kind of torque when you hit the gas the car would turn left or right on it's own. like a honda.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I wish I knew how to fix gas powered things, for now will stick with wood and stone. Replacing weathered and ill placed steps off the deck with a small extension and paver patio
View attachment 56899

At least the grounds gonna be relatively soft (with all the rain this summer). You're doing some great work this year... ya may want to slow down a bit doe, or the boss'll expect this output all the time. ;)

Reactions: rlb

qclabrat

At least the grounds gonna be relatively soft (with all the rain this summer). You're doing some great work this year... ya may want to slow down a bit doe, or the boss'll expect this output all the time. ;)
ha, she actually hates my projects and wished I didn't do anything or hired someone. Building things regardless with motors or not is just plain therapeutic and keeps me sane with two teens in the house.

rlb

the bracket is there to support the jack shaft to keep both front axles at about the same angle. without that, with any kind of torque when you hit the gas the car would turn left or right on it's own. like a honda.

Can't remember what my 92 Accord was like (never did axles on that car) but the torque steer isn't much better on this thing. Regardless, I wish I would have bought another 5-spd Accord instead of a Camry. Live and learn.

If you don't have one, buy a drum brake spring tool. Turns a frustrating job into an easy one.

It's on the list for sure. Between my 2 brothers and I, there's probably 5 of those things floating around in my dad's garage somewhere, but it'll be easier to just get a new one.

rlb

wtf, that thing has drum brakes? what year is this?
toyota....

Yup, it's a 2006. Power windows, locks,and driver's seat are the only options. And probably the CD player. Not sure if the 2007s (new body style) still offered drums. Regardless, still stops fairly well.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Gutter guards.
So hot on Saturday......

IMG_9007.JPG IMG_9008.JPG

I gotta say, these were super easy to install. All the lower roofline gutters are done. Don't think my 24 ft ladder will reach the uppers though.

serviceguy

I've got my first chainsaw, 20" Poulan Pro. I was super excited to try it over the weekend but it ended up being an epic fail. I could not start the damn thing. Tried everything as per manual, had a chainsaw 'expert' trying to start it but nothing. Gas is OK and as per specs (50:1), spark is good and motor is not flooded, brake is off and bar and chain oil it topped. It does have compression but it doesn't even tries to start...any advice before I empty the tanks and try and return it?

Top Bottom