What have you done to your bike today?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I am thinking I may just get an XT shifter. I would think this could be a warranty issue but I don't have much faith in the shop from where I bought the bike. I thought it was a reputable shop (to remain nameless) but they rubbed me the wrong way when I picked the bike up and a few things were not set up as I was told they were. Wish I found this site 2 months ago. Anyway....I was bummed to miss out the ride I had planned for today but on the bright side I learned how a Shimano shifter works. I am fairly handy and like to do as much of my own maintenance as possible so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

qclabrat

.6 miles into my after-work Hartshorne ride my shifter broke (shortening my ride to 1.2 miles). The nut that retains the levers/spring and other mechanisms came off inside the shifter. So I somehow managed to get that put back together and working once I got home. The bike is only 2 months old with a couple hundred miles on it but I wonder if it's time for a new shifter just for peace of mind? Could upgrade to an XT shifter (bike came with SLX).
I am thinking I may just get an XT shifter. I would think this could be a warranty issue but I don't have much faith in the shop from where I bought the bike. I thought it was a reputable shop (to remain nameless) but they rubbed me the wrong way when I picked the bike up and a few things were not set up as I was told they were. Wish I found this site 2 months ago. Anyway....I was bummed to miss out the ride I had planned for today but on the bright side I learned how a Shimano shifter works. I am fairly handy and like to do as much of my own maintenance as possible so that's not necessarily a bad thing.
my slx shifters on an old bike have been pretty bomb proof on a fat bike I ran hard for a year. Mtb parts don't fall apart that easily for the grade, deore as well. I'd take the bike back, it should be under some type of warranty

Tim

aka sptimmy43
my slx shifters on an old bike have been pretty bomb proof on a fat bike I ran hard for a year. Mtb parts don't fall apart that easily for the grade, deore as well. I'd take the bike back, it should be under some type of warranty

I agree and may do just that.

The problem I had with this shifter was that the nut that holds the whole thing together and looks like it should be captured by 4 tabs on the washer beneath it was able to loosen as the tabs were just a touch too far apart to hold it in place. I would doubt it will fail again after being reassembled and the tabs crimped in a bit more.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Some Brooks leather tape to match the saddle and bag
IMG_20170916_120131_867.jpg

JRP581

Just turned my Farley 9.6 into a tubeless set up, thought it was going to be harder to do. I was even able to seat tires with hand pump.

Reactions: Tim

JRP581

I agree and may do just that.

The problem I had with this shifter was that the nut that holds the whole thing together and looks like it should be captured by 4 tabs on the washer beneath it was able to loosen as the tabs were just a touch too far apart to hold it in place. I would doubt it will fail again after being reassembled and the tabs crimped in a bit more.
I had same thing happen to my shifter, I noticed having trouble with it shifting. I found problem before it came apart. But I probably had 1000 miles on bike. I have xt. That was with rear derailleur. But my front derailleur kept giveing me problems after first week, after looking into it found that the cable wasn't in the eyelet, and when I loosened cable to make adjustment derailleur, it just feel out. Came from Trek that way. The Lbs took care of it and got me new. Pretty cool that you were able to get it back together lots little parts in there to get lost.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I had same thing happen to my shifter, I noticed having trouble with it shifting. I found problem before it came apart. But I probably had 1000 miles on bike. I have xt. That was with rear derailleur. But my front derailleur kept giveing me problems after first week, after looking into it found that the cable wasn't in the eyelet, and when I loosened cable to make adjustment derailleur, it just feel out. Came from Trek that way. The Lbs took care of it and got me new. Pretty cool that you were able to get it back together lots little parts in there to get lost.

Looking back my shifting was a bit finicky right from the day I bought the bike. It was my first experience with a 1x and a derailleur with a clutch and beyond that I thought it was a cable tension issue. Turning the barrel adjuster 1/8 turn one way or another would always seem to sort it and the bike is fairly new (about 200 miles on it so far) so I thought it was just a little cable stretch or whatnot. Obviously I know now that wasn't the case. I am not going to be bashful on this one...I was pretty damn impressed with myself for getting that back together especially since I didn't get to see it assembled correctly first. I rode Hartshorne after work Saturday (couldn't make it to Allaire) and putsed around with my 4 year-old on the canal path yesterday and it is shifting perfectly now.

RobW

ive been itching to get some more rubber on the cx bike. I bought the bike with 33 mud tires, instead of buying new I pulled these generic 35's from my storage unit that I had from the ex's hybrid.. they fit perfectly and I may be able to get some 38's on there..but I won't push it.. if these work out well, I want to get some compass cycles 35's with a gumwall. Next up for this is some comfy bar tape as the OE is peeling at the base of the hoods..
IMG_0202.JPG

qclabrat

need shave off a part of an aluminum drop out to retrofit to my daughter's bike. Ideally if I had a CNC cutter I'd be all set. Don't own a Dremel, but would it do the job?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The roadie got some attention today - moved the saddle and pedals from the caad8->evo.
Made the necessary adjustments to saddle height.

Need to have a shimano pedal maintenance day - they all need to have the bearing pre-load adjusted.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I did this:
IMG_1684.JPG

Literally, JRA and the hanger spontaneously exploded. :D

I was unimpressed by the performance of the remote derailleur. I couldn't get the power link to release so I could shorten the chain and single speed it back, so I wound up knocking out a pin and removing the chain entirely.

Luckily, thanks to Halter's, I got a new hanger and chain which I installed tonight. Ready for the weekend!

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Put a Brooks saddle bag on that matches my bar tape and B-17 saddle. Pulled the decals off the wheels and put 40cm Maxis gravel tires on.... the tires have more of a road look to them but are handle well on road and dirt. Also hid my tubes up under the seat out of the way.
20171001_081732.jpg

The little silver thing on the seat post is for the Weehoo.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Put a Brooks saddle bag on that matches my bar tape and B-17 saddle. Pulled the decals off the wheels and put 40cm Maxis gravel tires on.... the tires have more of a road look to them but are handle well on road and dirt. Also hid my tubes up under the seat out of the way. View attachment 57823

The little silver thing on the seat post is for the Weehoo.

Love the look, so friggen classy! :)

Top Bottom