Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

I saw some great photos taken in Cascade Lake Park that inspired me to check out that park. Here are my less than impressive photos, along with the great photos taken by a much better rider than me. I could get SO lost here! I stuck to what I thought I could remember and I saw many side trails, but I know my limitations. The trails go from way to easy, to very challenging. I think this could be a really fun ride for many, but too confusing for me. I’ll have to return and explore in baby steps. After my 2.5 miles there today, I returned to my beloved Wawayanda to finish my riding. I think @huffster and @jimf would like it here.

First, the great photos.
Jocelyn5.jpg
Jocelyn2.jpg
Jocelyn3.jpg

Now, my photos
Cascade08.jpg

Cascade05.jpg

Cascade06.jpg

Cascade07.jpg

huffster

@Kaleidopete

It's an interesting coincidence that you mention Cascade Park. The other day when packing up at Warwick County park, I got to talking with a guy who had been walking his dogs. Once again it was the fat tires that spurred the conversation. Apparently he does a little riding in Warwick CP and asked if I had ever tried Cascade Park. I had/have not. It sounded pretty small, but I made a mental note. Now your comments and photos intrigue me further. I'm always looking for something new, so I'll have to go check it out...maybe later today.

Kaleidopete

@Kaleidopete

It's an interesting coincidence that you mention Cascade Park. The other day when packing up at Warwick County park, I got to talking with a guy who had been walking his dogs. Once again it was the fat tires that spurred the conversation. Apparently he does a little riding in Warwick CP and asked if I had ever tried Cascade Park. I had/have not. It sounded pretty small, but I made a mental note. Now your comments and photos intrigue me further. I'm always looking for something new, so I'll have to go check it out...maybe later today.
It is small, but has some interesting stuff.

Attachments

• cascade.gpx
    104.4 KB · Views: 135

huffster

Went and checked it out today. There is more there than meets the eye. The park is really tucked back in the woods on Cascade Park Rd. Not another car in the lot at the beginning or end and encountered zero humans. So, already this was a good ride!

1:40 moving time and 8.3 miles. https://www.strava.com/activities/1190337744

I definitely strayed from the marked trails on this map: http://www.townofwarwick.org/community/trailmap2010-revised.pdf
But, there are a number of trails I did not explore on this maiden voyage. Lots of double track, so I suspect the quads get around in there quite a bit. I'll definitely go back and explore some more. Bottom line, what seemed like a small park on the surface has plenty of trails to keep busy for 2 or 3 hours. I did not discover those rock outcrops in your friends photos, but that looks a lot like the ridge up on Bearfort Mountain, and I was staying off the AT. Crossed it several times though.

Kaleidopete

I was there too today, about 10:30/11. I went in off of Riverside in West Milford, a friend lives on that street and I park at his house.
I went in through the rocky muddy mess and made a right on a white trail (now I know it's the AT). I took this up to a cross over trail.
I made a left there and rode it all the way down to the lake. Now I don't know how to get back to my start point. I did pass two trails
that went left before I got to the lake, but which one to take? Once at the lake I asked a guy if he knew, he said he did, then faltered and
said he didn't. I asked another couple and they didn't know either. I know where I was and my only choice was to ride the road back
to New Jersey, or die in the woods trying trails that I don't know. I don't have enough power to explore that much. I'm slowly figuring
this park out though. It ain't easy.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Waway -> Cascade Park/other shit -> Sterling -> Ringwood -> Jungle -> Waway?

huffster

Too late now, but...check out my GPS track and map (above). From the lake if you took red south to where it turns left to cross the stream (wooden bridge), but instead don't cross the bridge but and cross the dry stream bed on the double track. On my GPS you'll see I crossed the stream to the east, then went back and crossed it to the south. That goes straight on double-track and leads out to Riverside where you came in. So, that is kind of a main artery down the middle of the park from parking to Riverside. I still need to explore what is to the west of the lake. I laid eyes on several trails heading in various directions.
I was there too today, about 10:30/11. I went in off of Riverside in West Milford, a friend lives on that street and I park at his house.
I went in through the rocky muddy mess and made a right on a white trail (now I know it's the AT). I took this up to a cross over trail.
I made a left there and rode it all the way down to the lake. Now I don't know how to get back to my start point. I did pass two trails
that went left before I got to the lake, but which one to take? Once at the lake I asked a guy if he knew, he said he did, then faltered and
said he didn't. I asked another couple and they didn't know either. I know where I was and my only choice was to ride the road back
to New Jersey, or die in the woods trying trails that I don't know. I don't have enough power to explore that much. I'm slowly figuring
this park out though. It ain't easy.

huffster

Waway -> Cascade Park/other shit -> Sterling -> Ringwood -> Jungle -> Waway?

Waway -> Cascade: What I figured out so far, you could do a little road ride around upper greenwood lake and get in the back door on Riverside Rd. But, I suspect there may be some other possibilities. I can see a trail going north from the Parking lot to Cascade road, but I'm hopeful for something East-West...like the AT, but not the AT.

Cascade -> Sterling: At the 5.5 mile mark on my GPX, I was touching the AT, but now that I look at the NYNJTC map, I see that I was really close to intersection of the AT and State Line trail. So, within a minute I could've been on/off the AT. I've hiked up the State Line trail from Greenwood Lake to go to Surprise Lake. It's a steep-ass climb up. So, if you were riding a bike, you only want to be going down. Also, up on top of the ridge is the orange Quail trail, and if I recall that could be a nice ride down, but I've only ever hiked it once - so my memory of the terrain is vague at best.

If taking State Line down to the lake, your talking a few miles to either the north or south end on the road. South end puts you close to Jungle. North end you could probably come in the West Valley trail into Sterling or ride 1/2 way down the east side of the lake and catch some trails in over there.

Kaleidopete

Thanks for all the info @huffster
This park is interesting, but not great. I'm glad I'm checking it out, I really like finding new places and I really want to get up to that overlook.
I think it's East of the blue trail I was on and next time I'll have to look closer for that trail. I could put the coordinates in my Garmin and go right to it.
This seems like a fun park for winter and snow.

Kaleidopete

My first dog attack wound up with no injury to myself. Riding the road in
Wawayanda on a nice downhill where I was going about 18 mph., I saw a
dog walker on my left about 60 feet ahead well on the other side of the road.
I gave my usual nod and good morning to him. He acknowledged and returned the greeting. As I got closer I saw his dog start towards me barking, I also saw his leash was way too long and Mr. mut was going to get me. Dog was about 60 lbs., and still barking, hit me and the bike frame just behind the front wheel, knocking me to the right a few feet. Dogs teeth never got me, a miscalculation on his part I’m sure. I didn’t fall, as I was swerving a little too. I was pedaling at a good cadence, and never stopped pedaling. I know I clipped that dog a good shot while pedaling but I didn’t care. So the dog hit my left shin and got hit with my pedal, The dog owner yelled out. “you OK?”, I said “Yeah, no problem!”. I didn’t stop either. As I made the switchback ahead and came back on the trail below the road I saw he was checking his dog over. I hope all is well, damn dog! I’ll have to stop and ask about the dog next time I see them.

Kaleidopete

Ragnar really puts on a foot race event! This weekend it was at Wawayanda. They brought in fifty porta johns, a forty foot long tanker truck with fresh water, large staging tents and a slew of volunteers to guide the runners. All the trails were perfectly marked with right way and wrong way signs, plus orange cones. The trails were similar to the Bearscat bike race trails. They had three loops available for runners to choose from. Green a 4 mile loop, Yellow a 5 mile loop or red a 6.7 mile loop. The way it works is there are teams of 8 runners. This year they had 185 teams running. Each runner on the team has to do 3 loops on their selected trail. The winning group is the one with the best time. Race started at 9AM on Friday morning and goes all day and through Friday night and ends on Saturday afternoon. Quite an event! Here are a few photos of how they took over the park.
https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/trail/wawayandalake

pre race
Ragnar17_01.jpg

Ragnar17_02.jpg

Ragnar17_05.jpg

Ragnar17_04.jpg

Ragnar17_03.jpg

Kaleidopete

I don’t ride in the dark that often, but today was the day. Rain is coming in early today, so I got out earlier. 6:42 AM. Wawayanda was dark and quiet. I rode down by the Furnace to the campground, All the campers were still asleep. This was such a great ride, and challenging with the deep leaves covering the rocks and roots and just my headlight to guide me. I didn’t see any wildlife thankfully. I’ll have to do this more often, it’s nice and spooky! All alone, dark, no cell phone, no one knows where I am or where I’m going! Including ME!

Early mornin05.jpg

Early mornin04.jpg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I don’t ride in the dark that often, but today was the day. Rain is coming in early today, so I got out earlier. 6:42 AM. Wawayanda was dark and quiet. I rode down by the Furnace to the campground, All the campers were still asleep. This was such a great ride, and challenging with the deep leaves covering the rocks and roots and just my headlight to guide me. I didn’t see any wildlife thankfully. I’ll have to do this more often, it’s nice and spooky! All alone, dark, no cell phone, no one knows where I am or where I’m going! Including ME!

View attachment 58909

View attachment 58910

I know the feeling, makes everything seem to come alive somehow. :)

Kaleidopete

I rode out to Kazmar Lake today to see the destruction the state did by draining the lake. They claim the dam was in disrepair and they don’t have the money to fix it, so they decided to destroy the dam. What a shame, it’s right alongside the Appellation Trail too. It was very scenic and loved by many travelers and park people. Here are some photos.

This is before
AT Kasmar pond01.jpg
AT Kasmar02.jpg

Now after destruction of the dam.
Kazmer gone03.jpg

Kazmer gone02.jpg

Kazmer gone01.jpg

Image1.jpg
face-tear3.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom