Mountain creek Vernon NJ

@qclabrat

Walt, the one and only time I rode creek (back in like in 2013) I did the beginner and intermediate trails on a 26" 150mm FS, much fun was had. In this case the limiting factor was not the bike, 'twas the moron ON the bike.

I had on gloves, a full face helmet & knee and elbow pads.... My only thought at the time was, I wish I had shin guards on too. Not that anything happened, it's just the thought of taking one to the shins had me more tense than optimal.
about the same year, I went to Whisler on a family trip, I had just started mtbing the winter before. I chickened out and only did the XC trails. Regret that whenever the DH topic comes up

I tried DH once @ MC and maybe on a rental bike it would be different (I was on the horsethief) but for me it was meh, once was enough. Tho skidding out on a turn on the last run and cracking a rib might have something to do with it.

I tried DH once @ MC and maybe on a rental bike it would be different (I was on the horsethief) but for me it was meh, once was enough. Tho skidding out on a turn on the last run and cracking a rib might have something to do with it.

You broke a rib when we went, right @rick81721?

Last edited:
i was afraid as hell going for my first time, no sleep the night before sweating just on the car ride up. got on the lift with my buddy and 2 wrong turns and 1 "oh fuck it" later, we were both barreling down a black diamond ON MY FIRST TIME. no deaths were had, no broken equipment and the day continued on in pure enjoyment. some of the best times ive had on my bike

I've been riding/racing at Mtn Creek since 1999 and still get a bit of that feeling in my gut.

I haven't been happy with any of the elbow pads I've bought, so I tend to skip those, but I do wear knee/shin pads, armored shorts, a iD7 undershirt with back and shoulder protection along with a full face helmet. I'll wear goggles when racing, but generally not when riding with friends (we stop too much and they make my glasses fog up).

A typical 150-160 travel enduro bike will handle just about everything at Mtn Creek. I ride a DH bike, but mostly because I have one. While I usually ride and race DH on clipless pedals, I prefer flat pedals at Mtn Creek. Especially if riding with friends and we stop a lot to look at stuff. Just easier to hop on a go without having to bother with clipping in. I was reminded of this when I rode there this past Sunday.

I agree a guide at Mtn Creek is a good idea. It can be easy to end up on a trail that may be more than you want to attempt. Personally, for first-timers, I generally recommend Blue Mtn in PA. Everything there is well within the capabilities of an enduro bike.

I've been riding/racing at Mtn Creek since 1999 and still get a bit of that feeling in my gut.

I haven't been happy with any of the elbow pads I've bought, so I tend to skip those, but I do wear knee/shin pads, armored shorts, a iD7 undershirt with back and shoulder protection along with a full face helmet. I'll wear goggles when racing, but generally not when riding with friends (we stop too much and they make my glasses fog up).

A typical 150-160 travel enduro bike will handle just about everything at Mtn Creek. I ride a DH bike, but mostly because I have one. While I usually ride and race DH on clipless pedals, I prefer flat pedals at Mtn Creek. Especially if riding with friends and we stop a lot to look at stuff. Just easier to hop on a go without having to bother with clipping in. I was reminded of this when I rode there this past Sunday.

I agree a guide at Mtn Creek is a good idea. It can be easy to end up on a trail that may be more than you want to attempt. Personally, for first-timers, I generally recommend Blue Mtn in PA. Everything there is well within the capabilities of an enduro bike.

seems like the only thing I'll need is a full face helmet and maybe some compression armor. At Whistler I saw many folks wearing collars, when are those needed?

seems like the only thing I'll need is a full face helmet and maybe some compression armor. At Whistler I saw many folks wearing collars, when are those needed?

Neck braces break your collar bone instead of your neck if I'm not mistaken

I'm still undecided about neck braces. I have one, but it's not very comfortable to wear and doesn't work with my padded shirt as well as I'd like. A friend has a Leatt integrated jackat/neck brace, so I'm interested to see how that looks in person. They aren't cheap, but neither are hospital bills...

Yeah I bought one for my son as he started going big on the tables but it never worked with the armour jacket. Looking at most that wear them they are not wearing back protection.

Is that the Blue Mountain resort in Palmerton, PA?

Back
Top Bottom