Wharton Conditions

Davesnhere

So I see that Quaker Bridge is now open, but all bike trails are still closed ( rumour has it until after labor day). Does that mean we're allowed to ride all the double track surrounding batsto?

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Earlier in the week I had to respond to someone(s) that made an erroneous assumption. So its prob'ly in all of our best interests to avoid riding in the area and reduce the chances of someone(s) saying mtb'rs are riding in a closed area. If you want to ride the WSF, please ride something different and ride to the east on those trails/roads near those creeks that feed the Wading River. Many scenic areas there.

Here's your PSA below.

Due to the recent forest fire, the WSF Batsto mtb trails are closed indefinetly pending a safety review by the forestry service. Please respect the closure.

If you have any questions about what areas and/or trails are open/closed, please call the Batsto office, 609-561-0024.

Last edited:

Davesnhere

I rode the double track from Atsion Ranger station (basically skirting the perimeter of the fire) making a nice 20 mile loop, all sandy and fast on a Fat Bike! This could end up being a nice go to ride when pressed for time, to avoid the bugs, or if you just wanna go fast! Awesome Stuff!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Drove 2hrs to Wharton...attendant informed me trails closed due to the fire... I make sad face and drive to Allaire.

Updated condition to 1.

That is all.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Eclectic tastes?o_O

It was prob'ly for the best. Mid-August to mid-September in the barrens is the time and place of the nymph tic. Often mistaken for chiggers, but much worse.

And as the old story goes... I was once told by a Klein riding, Marlboro smoking, USPS kitted, local duuude, that all the fast guys go to Allaire, cause that's where the gnar is. :)

theranch

Sorry if this has been asked... Kurtis...can we go ride the dirt roads? I usually do this a couple of times during the summer. Park in the main lot then head out Washington Turnpike to Penn Swamp Road (L) out to Washington Quaker Bridge out to that bridge and hang a left on to Batsto River rd. back to the village.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Sorry if this has been asked... Kurtis...can we go ride the dirt roads? I usually do this a couple of times during the summer. Park in the main lot then head out Washington Turnpike to Penn Swamp Road (L) out to Washington Quaker Bridge out to that bridge and hang a left on to Batsto River rd. back to the village.

yeah, the sand roads are open. What you describe sounds a lot like the sand road loop that Dave rides. All the bike trails and some sections of hiking trails are closed. There is verbiage on the Forestry page as to whats what. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/wharton.html

We still are not allowed to go back on the trail to see whats bad. o_O

For a change of pace, you might like the moto trails on Devious Mount. Some punchy sections there. :cool: You can ride down the Washington Trpk then north up Mount-Sandy Ridge sand road for ten or so miles to Pushline Rd. make a right and the Red Hat Trail is up on the next rise. (i just re-read that and it sorta sounds like gibberish, but it will get you there if you have a good map on the GPS.)

Last edited:

Davesnhere

Yes, I'm really liking the change of pace its been riding the sand roads! You can go as far and as fast as you'd like. The only drawback are the kayakers loading and unloading at the various put-ins (they tend to not get out of the way too quickly), and also the speeding canoe rental van drivers really need to slow down out there! ... in the past few weeks I've created both a 20 mile Loop and a 30 mile Loop... next up I'm going to create a 40-mile loop... please note that my rides are all on a fatty, I do not think it would be as fun on a regular mtb as some of the deeper sandy areas are nearly impossible on a regular mountain bike....YMMV

Davesnhere

Yes, I'm really liking the change of pace its been riding the sand roads! You can go as far and as fast as you'd like. The only drawback are the kayakers loading and unloading at the various put-ins (they tend to not get out of the way too quickly), and also the speeding canoe rental van drivers really need to slow down out there! ... in the past few weeks I've created both a 20 mile Loop and a 30 mile Loop... next up I'm going to create a 40-mile loop... please note that my rides are all on a fatty, I do not think it would be as fun on a regular mtb as some of the deeper sandy areas are nearly impossible on a regular mountain bike....YMMV
I park at the Atsion (rt.206) Ranger Station...for me it saves about 40 miles of driving...

Jim & Val

Are any of these roads doable in a small suv? Don't have a fat bike yet but i'm interested in doing some exploring in my S10 Blazer. Nothing too crazy, just looking to get out and explore the pines : )
Jim

Davesnhere

Heck yeah! Plenty of the roads doable in an suv! I grew up 4 wheeling out there, and although some areas are now off limits to motor vehicles, 90% aren't! I recommend you hit up the ranger station for a map, and if you go inside,plenty of info to be had from any of the rangers in there...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions