Wildcat Ridge WMA Conditions

We should have drier feet this winter....one way......or another.

20161001_140402.jpg

20161001_140455.jpg

20161001_140423.jpg

Also fixed the loose board on the bridge.

20161001_105616.jpg

There is still some snow left but it will all be melted soon. The trails will then be saturated and not suitable for riding for at least a week or more. Consider waiting until April 8th.

There is still some snow left but it will all be melted soon. The trails will then be saturated and not suitable for riding for at least a week or more. Consider waiting until April 8th.

So this weekend is looking nice weather wise but with all the rain this week, do you think the trails will still be too wet to ride? Are there any trails that are typically drier than the rest that could be ok for this weekend? I've never rode here, anxious to get out, but wouldn't want to potentially damage anything.

So this weekend is looking nice weather wise but with all the rain this week, do you think the trails will still be too wet to ride? Are there any trails that are typically drier than the rest that could be ok for this weekend? I've never rode here, anxious to get out, but wouldn't want to potentially damage anything.

Most of the singletrack at Wildcat drains well. I rode the Beach Glen Trail on Sunday, and there were four little puddles up top and the rest was bone dry. Beach Glen Trail from the Bat Cave to where the singletrack starts might still be horrendous, but it's an old woods road and ATV playground. I plan to ride there tomorrow if we don't get too much rain today. Weekend conditions will depend on how much rain comes down on Thursday/Friday. The last stuff to dry is yellow, some woods road sections, and the rail beds.

So I ran into the guy who is ripping the shit out of the Beach Glen trail with a moto....His name is Mike Dense...rides a Husky with his name and number 818 on it. I then ran into him again as he was trying to climb up @trailhead s new reroute on yellow right under the power lines...he got stuck and couldn't make it up. Terrible rider.

Plus the Yamaha rider (blue WR250). I recommended the good dirt bike trails north of the reservoir and asked him to run a trials tire on the rear since its very likely he will continue his trail destroying ways.

I found a pump on the Beach Glen Trail at Wildcat today. If you lost one there, let me know what it was and I'll find a way to get it back to you.

A few weeks ago a bunch of us trimmed the entire length of the Wildcat Ridge Trail ( Yellow), parts of the Oreland RR Grade, and the upper section of Hibernia Brook. Trail egress at road crossings was trimmed to maintain sight lines.

Re-Blazing has been completed on the entire Beach Glen Trail ( Blue). While bikers don't typically rely on them, Hikers are very much dependent upon the blazes and so they have to be well maintained. We get a lot of "comments" on blazing from the hiking community.

An old route has been re-established from the Hawkwatch to the Beach Glen Trail. This provides a more direct route for hikers coming from Denville to the Hawkwatch, and more options for riders. The Meriden Trail ( Red) has been extended to include this new section. It's great fun going down, just remember that there may be hikers coming up so hoots and hollers are encouraged.

One of the bridges on the Beach Glen has been extended and the deteriorated boards have been replaced.

An old route has been re-established from the Hawkwatch to the Beach Glen Trail. This provides a more direct route for hikers coming from Denville to the Hawkwatch, and more options for riders. The Meriden Trail ( Red) has been extended to include this new section. It's great fun going down, just remember that there may be hikers coming up so hoots and hollers are encouraged.

I have climbed up red a few times now and as expected it is a bitch...However, one great thing about is that you can get from beach glen to the hawkwatch in about 10-15 minutes as opposed to riding around the mountain.

Reactions: Kev
....and special thanks to Rockaway Township for removing the fallen trees on the wires along the Darlington Trail.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions