Pro Tour Cycles? Can't find new Crank

Has anyone had any experience with Pro Tour Cycles in Watchung, NJ? They've had my MTB for over 3 weeks now, looking for a new crank (28T x 40T CHAINRING x 175MM, BCD is 104/64mm), as the old one had the pedal threads stripped out of the right arm. The guy says that both catalogs he orders through are out of stock on the ones that run $125, and the only ones that are available are $250+.

I don't have much into my bike. I bought it off Bike Island for $399 (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-fant-29px5-fatbikes.htm) so that I could ride around with my kids and on occasion take it on some trails around my house. I'd rather not spend $250 on a crank, and then pay to have it installed, so I've been waiting on him. When I talked to him last week, I got concerned because he said he was thinking about looking on the Internet for one, and he doesn't trust "The Internet" for bike parts......whatever that means. I found one on Amazon.com (https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-X-5-GXP...501305491&sr=8-2&keywords=sram+175mm+crank+x5) that I thought could possibly work, but he said that he already tried that one, and that I need a tapered crank, and this wasn't one of them.

Any help out there would be appreciated. I was thinking about picking my bike up and taking it elsewhere (I've had much success with Marty's in Morristown before I moved south), but wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Drive it a few blocks down the street to Hilltop and we'll get it taken care of. Tell Pete I said hi.

Got the call today that it was finished. Said he was able to take a triple ring crank and take the small ring off. We'll see how that works o_O

qclabrat

Pete sold me my first non-Huffy/Murray bike at Pro Tour in Westfield about 35 years ago
Heard he closed shop on Rt22 because he was getting robbed all the time then went to Hilltop
That's one of the worst business locations backing to Plainfield, wish him well

Top Bottom