Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

rick81721

Lothar
PS I clipped some of the worst of the pickers encroaching on the trail on the bottom but by this time of year and with all the rain it becomes an exercise in futility from the bike. Really has to be hiked to get them all - and I'm thinking a machete would be significantly more efficient. @Kaleidopete do you have any recos?

Kaleidopete

PS I clipped some of the worst of the pickers encroaching on the trail on the bottom but by this time of year and with all the rain it becomes an exercise in futility from the bike. Really has to be hiked to get them all - and I'm thinking a machete would be significantly more efficient. @Kaleidopete do you have any recos?
Nope.......I ride to the spot & then walk & snip.

Debbie Armeno

Thank you for always looking out for trees and other obstacles along the trails. We did send a crew up yesterday, June 15, and they where able to cut trees on Maple Flats and worked to clear the trails between marker post 5 and 6. We could not get to the tree pictured above, but plan on getting to it in the near future. If you could, when you see trees and other debris on the trails, please email myself at darmeno@scparks.org or Phil Richard at prichard@scpark.org. This would be the fastest way for us to get a crew together to attend to any situations. You are always welcome to join us for our Volunteer Park Patrol, the next date for work at the Sourlands is July 26 at 6:00 p.m. Thank you again for helping us out and taking an interest in the Sourland Mountain Preserve.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG

rick - last year i was pruning like a madman but haven't gotten out on the mtb this year... what areas need pruning? pruning gives me an excuse to get back on the fat tires.

rick81721

Lothar
rick - last year i was pruning like a madman but haven't gotten out on the mtb this year... what areas need pruning? pruning gives me an excuse to get back on the fat tires.

Hey Dave pretty much the entire white trail from pond to new shoes. After that it's not bad

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hey Dave pretty much the entire white trail from pond to new shoes. After that it's not bad

the canopy in that area took a beating between sandy, and that other straight line wind event - lot of sun hitting the floor.
if i come up for air, i'll try to do some trimming.

Welcome @Debbie Armeno ! Thank you for posting, and giving us direct access to you and Phil.

rick81721

Lothar
the canopy in that area took a beating between sandy, and that other straight line wind event - lot of sun hitting the floor.
if i come up for air, i'll try to do some trimming.

The bigger issue is invasive species run amok. Someone needs to develop an herbicide that only kills multiflora rose and barberry, then blanket the place with it. Maybe I'll take it on as a retirement project.

huffster

Classy post. Kudos!
Thank you for always looking out for trees and other obstacles along the trails. We did send a crew up yesterday, June 15, and they where able to cut trees on Maple Flats and worked to clear the trails between marker post 5 and 6. We could not get to the tree pictured above, but plan on getting to it in the near future. If you could, when you see trees and other debris on the trails, please email myself at darmeno@scparks.org or Phil Richard at prichard@scpark.org. This would be the fastest way for us to get a crew together to attend to any situations. You are always welcome to join us for our Volunteer Park Patrol, the next date for work at the Sourlands is July 26 at 6:00 p.m. Thank you again for helping us out and taking an interest in the Sourland Mountain Preserve.

blackburn1973

Great conditions yesterday, although a couple more trees down since last time I was out there (which was probably a month ago). Even though we got the rain on Sat morning there was very little water on the trail (just two spots). Should be even better today.

rick81721

Lothar
I guess it hasn't rained around here for awhile as it's probably the driest I've seen it since winter. Also it's berry season - unfortunately this year's crop is kinda sour

19984627_250510215445359_2251485525158395904_n.jpg

Bad news is, multiple trees still down, and I found two new ones:

This one on red right before the drop off, kills the flow

19955130_1739742309651412_8952529453548830720_n.jpg

Then on C connector trail north of roaring rocks

19932441_1940733345944142_1167932909227606016_n.jpg

Perhaps in a few years they will rot away :rolleyes:

Dingo

Park guys did a great job clearing all the downed trees - what a difference to no longer have to hop off the bike and chuck it over a tree. Even my nemesis is history

20214217_109658636361877_6727010299934670848_n.jpg
Did they get the one up top next to the rideable boulder blocking both the trail and boulder? That one even messed up the hikers.

rick81721

Lothar
Did they get the one up top next to the rideable boulder blocking both the trail and boulder? That one even messed up the hikers.

I didn't go by that one, or the one on connector C north of roaring rocks. I believe there's a TM this wed PM - I'm riding before so will check them out

rick81721

Lothar
Small but effective TM crew this evening trimmed back pickers encroaching the bottom trails

20225729_1924474867812380_3867682809564889088_n.jpg

Bonus blackberry season on the pipeline - wild raspberries are the appetizer, blackberries are the main course. Get them while they last

20225455_113798452607627_9116843327356928000_n.jpg

Shockingly the trails are drier than I thought - just a few muddy spots on the lower trails which means up top will be perfect. I'm hitting it tomorrow before friday's deluge turns everything into shit again.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions