Huber and hartshorne are the most eroded they've ever been. What will the mcps do?

Huber and hartshorne are the most eroded they've ever been. So what will the mcps do about it?

• Get able-bodied professionals with power equipment to fix the trails

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Re-route certain trails that are just waaaay beyond repair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partner with a capable knowledge dedicated organization like jorba to maintain trails properly

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Send out a dozen 70 year old volunteers w/ hand tools, no direction and 3 hours

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters

wonderturtle

:rolleyes: Well, I've heard that area referred to as the "rock garden" before. Sure, they're small rocks, but it's the only place on that trail where there's an unusually high concentration of them.:D

that's what I have always called that area.

btw, it certainly doesnt appear like a natural deposit of rocks. they don't match other local stones and look quarried. have always wondered who put them there and why. perhaps something to do with the prior military use of the area?

SmooveP

that's what I have always called that area.

btw, it certainly doesnt appear like a natural deposit of rocks. they don't match other local stones and look quarried. have always wondered who put them there and why. perhaps something to do with the prior military use of the area?
I was just making a funny. Not sure if that area was part of the military installation. Maybe the original estate? Or put there by the park system to reinforce the trail?

don

Frustration is the reason I haven't been to a TM or even ridden Hart or Huber in a few years. The TM's are a joke. Are they still teaching waterbar construction using old trees?

I do hike Huber with the dogs on a weekly basis - a short loop that is shallow pitch so not too bad to hike.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Wow. I just read this whole thread. I have only been mountain biking since this spring and I work about 2 minutes from Hartshorne so that is my main spot. I was under the impression that the way Hartshorne is was just the way more technical mountain bike trails are. I've been trying like hell to climb some of the above referenced sections and often end up wondering how any mortal could clear them. I guess I should have been a clued in when hikers going DOWN were utterly amazed that I was even attempting to ride up.

While I do have a lot of fun at Harthsorne I have contracted poison ivy a couple times as the trails are definitely overgrown in spots. I find the erosion to be a challenge that has most certainly improved my bike handling skills and made me a better rider. That being said I wish the maintenance was better. I'd happily chip in and volunteer but that seems like it would be completely wasted effort based on what I just read...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions