Reducing impact

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
I have recently tried to reestablish a relationship with the new management at the mcpc, but have not had much luck and so i dont see us getting permission for group efforts in the near term. my old contact recommends participation in the adopt a trail program. so locals should consider that. in addition you may want to communicate to the park what your perception is of trail conditions and what improvements are needed. meanwhile, we will keep trying.

http://m66.siteground.biz/~morrispa/index.php/commission/contact-management/

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
True Norm, I have also had no success in getting permission to reinstate the annual group volunteer program at Lewis Morris, despite writing and calling the new Director of Trails and offering our continued assistance. I will say, however that the Executive Director, to whom I wrote for support on the Watchung initiative, comfirmed MCPC is supportive of mountain biking as evidenced most recently by their support of NICA racing at Lew Mo and intent to build a more permanent venue at Mt Paul.

All, If you sign up for Adopt-A-Trail, that will give you the approval to do trail maintenance on your own time. You can't use power tools (chainsaws and the like) and you can't build new trails, but you can rectify problem areas (muddy sections, drainage, etc), trim/prune overgrowth and clean off trail debris (e.g. small blowdowns that can be cut by a folding saw).

If you choose this route, and want PayDirt points to improve your racing standings, send me the reports to lewmoadoptatrail@gmail.com and I'll approve/report your hours to PayDirt.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Good news! I'm going to meet with MCPC to discuss conditions at the Tourne.
As I don't ride there often, I need your input as to what trails, areas, need work or any other issues you want raised.

On your rides over the next week, take note.
need input by July 10th
Just Tourne, not mountain lakes side.

@GSS
@notcho
@Berms&Boofs
@UtahJoe
@graveyardman67
@xc62701

Last edited:

gcw

Hey...I ride at the Tourne a few times a week and signed on to the adopt a trail program last year. Good to hear you are meeting with the MCPC on our behalf. The program is pretty much as ice biker describes it and it has been good in that I have a point of contact to report downed trees in need of removal. The response by the MCPC has been fairly good and they have recently removed trees on the purple and red trails in addition to one over on the Mountain lakes side within a few weeks after I reported them. Overall, I think the trails at the Tourne are holding up well considering the amount of use, but could use some TLC in certain areas (red Trail). Would be great to hear what others think and to know if there is any openness on the part of MCPC to building a new trail or two up there? Let me know if I can help out in any way and Thanks!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If we are talking just the Tourne side, the red from the upper Denville side lot is getting kinda wide towards the lot end. Going the same direction the switch backs on red (generally climbed) after the purple intersection have gotten pretty bad. There's a cheater line (again) and the upper rock garden is like two lanes wide. It might be wiser to cut around the whole garden if possible. Nobody cheats on easy stuff.

The new switch backs on red are holding up pretty good with one cheater line developing on the sharp turn lower down. Teal and Purple seem fine.

Maybe some of us regulars could get together and look around.

Really the worst is the Mtn Lakes side, red from the gate to the bridge is so blown out and widened.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
We sat down with mountain lakes and offered in good faith to do what is best for the trail network. They were only interested in re-instituting the trail use restrictions of the 90's.

Earthmiller

Thanks for bringing me into the mix, MadisonDan. extremedave hit on a lot of the same points I was thinking. Another area on red is close to the road on the Denville side, if you are riding from the road and reach the crest of the hill, there is a rocky ledge as you start to head down where the trail becomes 15 feet wide. There used to be a perfectly good reroute around that eroded area that was closed for some reason (maybe a deer exclusion area?). That closed trail, while I'm not sure it was MCPC sanctioned, was more interesting and seemed more sustainable to me. Another area is on purple almost all the way out to the Mt. Lakes side. The trail here is quite widened and traverses a fairly muddy area. Finally, there are also some unmarked trails at the Tourne, especially from the top or shooting off from the gravel road to the top, that might need to be addressed with respect to their sustainability. I know these downhill lines have been addressed before. Someone might mention these again, trailhead, so you should at least be aware they exist.

notcho

I avoid this place now cause I can't ride without having to close something off or block a newly opened line.

1. People are riding the downhill trails from the top again. I ask folks not to ride but they don't listen even when I tell them how Jorba had to close them down to help repair the relationship with mcpc. It's getting very obvious again. In addition, the line coming down straight across the gravel road to the street is being opened and used by bikers. We are our own worst enemy here folks! Strava knows who you are.

2. Someone, I believe a hiker is maintaining a line straight down the old switchback on red that was put in 10+ years ago. This is no good. I block it off every time but the next day it's back which leads me to believe it's the same guy that walk there everyday.

3. Trail widening on whole length of the red trail is getting out of hand. Virtually no single track exists.

I believe there are meet up rides every week that attract a lot of riders. Does this group ever have the intent to perform some TM? Could be contributing to the increase use of wear and tear to the park.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I avoid this place now cause I can't ride without having to close something off or block a newly opened line.

1. People are riding the downhill trails from the top again. I ask folks not to ride but they don't listen even when I tell them how Jorba had to close them down to help repair the relationship with mcpc. It's getting very obvious again. In addition, the line coming down straight across the gravel road to the street is being opened and used by bikers. We are our own worst enemy here folks! Strava knows who you are.

2. Someone, I believe a hiker is maintaining a line straight down the old switchback on red that was put in 10+ years ago. This is no good. I block it off every time but the next day it's back which leads me to believe it's the same guy that walk there everyday.

3. Trail widening on whole length of the red trail is getting out of hand. Virtually no single track exists.

I believe there are meet up rides every week that attract a lot of riders. Does this group ever have the intent to perform some TM? Could be contributing to the increase use of wear and tear to the park.

i have some lag bolts that will make 10" logs unmovable.

Berms&Boofs

Good news! I'm going to meet with MCPC to discuss conditions at the Tourne.
As I don't ride there often, I need your input as to what trails, areas, need work or any other issues you want raised.

On your rides over the next week, take note.
need input by July 10th
Just Tourne, not mountain lakes side.

@GSS
@notcho
@Berms&Boofs
@UtahJoe
@graveyardman67
@xc62701
Thanks Norm for keeping up the communication with MCPC! I don't make it to Tourne very often anymore but Notcho's comments are in line with I would say. Can you bring up the summit loop proposal from a few years ago if you think it is appropriate?
Thanks!

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
8/13/2013
I got to speak with a representative of the park, and the concern is with the rogue downhill runs that have been created. Some exit into other trails and intersections and so there is a safety concern. They recognize that all users contribute to general trail degradation, and some trails are not designed well, but these rogue trails are being noticed and as a result may affect future trail policy.

We are not yet in the position to perform repairs, and participate in the maintenance programs as we will need to first focus on ensuring future access.

notcho

8/13/2013

Thanks Norm for representing the community in front of the MCPC. Took a spin here this morning and the trail coming from the top onto the gravel road is more obvious than ever.

Folks on the board and members of mtbnj that ride this trail, please avoid at all costs and advise others to stay away. If anyone attends the weekly meet up rides or knows the organizers please spread the word to the masses.

JRP581

I have recently tried to reestablish a relationship with the new management at the mcpc, but have not had much luck and so i dont see us getting permission for group efforts in the near term. my old contact recommends participation in the adopt a trail program. so locals should consider that. in addition you may want to communicate to the park what your perception is of trail conditions and what improvements are needed. meanwhile, we will keep trying.

The meeting minutes from the MCPC mention that the impact bikes are having on the trails is becoming excessive. JORBA would like to get your perspective on this, and suggestions on how to reduce our impact so that we can avoid any repercussions. As we discuss this topic, remember that park officials are well versed in proper trail design.

"Acknowledging that off‐road bicycling is beginning to have a negative effect on the trails at the Tourne County Park

http://www.morrisparks.net/pdfs/minutes/20130520 Regular Meeting.pdf
Thanks Norm I've been in denville a little over year and noticed line has been getting wider and have been blocking it myself, a noticed it been reopened on countless times, because ride it two to three times s week. More noticeable in last month especially.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks Norm for representing the community in front of the MCPC. Took a spin here this morning and the trail coming from the top onto the gravel road is more obvious than ever.

Folks on the board and members of mtbnj that ride this trail, please avoid at all costs and advise others to stay away. If anyone attends the weekly meet up rides or knows the organizers please spread the word to the masses.
This and the other trail above the beach are fully clean and open as ever... We should make an effort to close them, like for real as the lower trail to the lot was

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions