anyone famiar with Yeti's and Switch Infinity suspension

littlev21

anyone got one? I'm thinking of treating myself to a new bike, my 5 year old Pivot 5.7 26" owes me nothing. Intrigued by the Yeti SB5. Never seen one out on the trail. only have read compliments, but they aren't north NJ reviews. It's main competitor is the new Pivot Mach 5.5. Both 27.5, non-plus. Considering the 429 trail or the yeti 4.5 if I go 29. Got it all sorted out on the Pivot side (demoed the 5.5) , just need some first hand opinions on the Yeti suspension.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think Marty's is a Yeti dealer now. So is Tenafly, but that's a bit far from you in Parsippany...

ebineezer

If you are thinking Yeti, Tenafly Bicycle Workshop is the place to go. They have a huge demo fleet and a local trail nearby.

Tell them Brian sent you, you won't be sorry!

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
anyone got one? I'm thinking of treating myself to a new bike, my 5 year old Pivot 5.7 26" owes me nothing. Intrigued by the Yeti SB5. Never seen one out on the trail. only have read compliments, but they aren't north NJ reviews. It's main competitor is the new Pivot Mach 5.5. Both 27.5, non-plus. Considering the 429 trail or the yeti 4.5 if I go 29. Got it all sorted out on the Pivot side (demoed the 5.5) , just need some first hand opinions on the Yeti suspension.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Yeti. I have a friend with the SB6 up in VT and the bike is a beast. Climbs well, and descends really well. Although I’m partial to the DW-Link, I think the Yeti’s are expensive, but pretty solid. I would expect the SB5 to lean more to the trail side, smaller version of the SB6, probably better bike for around here.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Late to the party here, but yes- check out Tenafly for sure.
After a demo you'll have your own northern NJ review.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
The Yeti van just came through the area a few weeks ago so you missed the factory demo but sounds like Tenafly has shop demos available. I hit the demo van when it came around and was very impressed with the SB5 (and 6) on eastern PA trails (very similar to NNJ). I'm also considering the Mach 5.5 and demoed it as well. I'm coming from a 2011 26er as well and both bikes climbed awesome (better than my 120mm 26er) and were a ton of fun descending. Between those 2, what it comes down to is the Pivot's got more travel and the Yeti will cost you a few hundred $s more for comparable parts spec. Also for what it's worth, my friends who own a shop that carries Specialized, Cannondale, Kona, Transition, and Yeti choose to ride Yetis and rave about switch infinity.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I would also consider a Turner RFX, I think that their execution of the DW-Link is better than Pivot's, plus the bike is a more complete trail bike. It doesn't have a super long wheel base so its still pretty maneuverable, with 160mm of travel. I like it better than the Yeti.

SmooveP

I recently got the SB5+. Great bike so far, but I need more time in the rocks before I can render a full verdict. Sizing runs small in my opinion, so try before you buy.

Top Bottom