Returning to NJ. What is a good tire size for riding.

AlaskaRider

Hello,

I am a new member here. I have been living in Alaska for over 6 years, Slowly returning to NJ after leaving it over 15 years ago. When I lived in NJ, I never mountain biked.

After doing some research I am thinking it could be a tossup between a 29er, or 27.5+ with a a lot of travel. I looking to hear what people are using around here. In Alaska I am riding a 27.5. with a 120mm travel.

Thanks,
AlaskaRider

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Welcome back.

This is a well debated topic and it almost comes down to what the people you are riding with have. It's all bikes and fun.

Personally I'm hot for 27x2.8" right now, but that is just my .02

j

AlaskaRider

Thanks.

I am only 5 feet 8 inchs. The 29er I had was nice but not good for the type of single tracks lanes I rode. I am eyeing up the Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5+ with the 150 mm travel.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Thanks.

I am only 5 feet 8 inchs. The 29er I had was nice but not good for the type of single tracks lanes I rode. I am eyeing up the Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5+ with the 150 mm travel.
That is the exact bike I ride.

We have a bunch on the floor at the shop.

Come check em out.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, now that we've got that settled, tell us about Alaska. Are you planning on flying the Cessna here? Welcome back.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This move makes no sense to me. Did you get a job in NJ making a Million Dollars a year?

PS-Welcome back?

PPS-27.5x2.8 is the most fun.

qclabrat

pretty sure the 27.5 bikes are far out selling 29s again this year and wouldn't be surprised 27.5+ more than the skinny sibling.
I'm about your height and used to find 29rs on the tall side, but the new geos seem to make them feel smaller nowadays. I wouldn't discount 29rs, notice most are still racing on them. Though most racers also have a smaller wheel "fun" bike as well.

btw: welcome back and where will you be riding?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you turn in the Alaskan mob? Is this a witness protection move. This is all backwards :shrug:

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Isn't 27.5+ same OD as 29er?
29x2.35 and 27.5x3.0
IMG_7908.JPG

29x2.25 and 27.5x2.8
IMG_7909.JPG

Swap back and forth on XtC. :thumbsup:

RickVaughn

here we go again...

actually, the shops i'm talking to all say that for north jersey, 29ers are all they sell. seems to be the trend too with downhill and enduro bikes running 29

if you told me i could only own one bike, it would be a 27.5+

27.5 seems the best all arounder in this state but I still like my 29er best ... they all roll... handle bar width is more critical on some of the tighter trails in NJ. I move away and my bars got wider and wider now I'm back and i clip trees like crazy.

Thanks.

Im 5' 7" and have a 27.5 Santa Cruz Solo in M with a 150mm travel Pike and XO1. I like less suspension around here.

Top Bottom