opinions re: Bicycle Bungee....????? is this stupid? brilliant? insane?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
afeeeeba16b3ba9a27ae37cd111fa20b.jpg

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Better equalizer that won't decapitate you if the bungee slips off the bars and your buddy is 20 feet ahead.
tandem.png

Reactions: rlb

the schwartz

Or....you can just set a good pace so you don't kill your riding partner. ;)
ha!
well yeah, but my riding partner for this application is 4 and a half. I hopped off my bike a few times at six mile last weekend to give him a "rocket booster", pushing him with one hand and my bike with the other while running up a hill...

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
ha!
well yeah, but my riding partner for this application is 4 and a half. I hopped off my bike a few times at six mile last weekend to give him a "rocket booster", pushing him with one hand and my bike with the other while running up a hill...
Lol. nice! It's awesome that you have him out there at 4-1/2!
He'll be keeping up with you in no time. You should go riding with @Matt_ and his boy.

Last edited:

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
this is the first time ive seen a product like this, as intended for biking, but its far from a new idea. We have been using tow systems in adventure racing for years.

and yeah, as @gtluke said, and I toured miami -> key west using a bungee tow line. It works great on roads, but not on bike trails, turns are a bit difficult.

Ive been on both the engine and caboose end of a tow system. one of the most common things people use is a retractable dog leash. I have a bungee cord with carabiners on the ends. one way to keep it out of the wheels is to extend it over the back wheel with plastic tubing

I can think of many other things to spend $200 on though.

1930703_617459120335_456208352_n.jpg
_MG_1111.jpg
biketowassembled.jpg

the schwartz

that's a really cool setup and i was just looking at that kind of dog leash but not sure how i'd hook it up. like the big bungee loop, that's great. i might try this next time we go out - thanks for the photos!

ajcourain

Retired from burrito Shiffering
Communication is key with using one though. The shorter the rope or bungee, the caboose is more restricted and the more you need to act in unison. The more space between, caboose has more freedom I guess but could be harder to easily hear one another. It actually takes some practice. You have to work off the same page, and get used to totally different pulls. Our super simple bungee with carabiners meant we simply looped it around my head tube but just the way it laid, the bungee would fall to either the left or the right side of it, so it created this weird pull from one side that you have to consciously counteract. Which is same kind of weird pull that makes turning awkward too.

And yeah my husband and I have used it in adventure races on longer, or tired, road or rail trail stretches.. and also during our ride through the Keys when at one point we were battling some headwinds and trying to beat sunset and I was tired.. we didn't beat the sunset, and it started monsooning, and it was our honeymoon to boot. They are a great relationship builder :D

Top Bottom