qclabrat

https://goo.gl/maps/A7oY7A5414q

there is a fence, but it is only across the road. park at cornhusker field at dreahook and rt 523 (readington?) - ride in from there.

BTW - even tho it is a road - round valley road to the back gate is solid climb - the path goes around the fence on the high side.
once inside the gate, turn left onto the trail to head towards switchbacks, or right to head back towards cush. if you got to the payphone, you went to far.
the trails are tough - but there is a low side bailout along the campground road, or ride the beach - fatbike not required at this time. about 100' of shoreline exposed right now.

I do not endorse this - but if you do, please respect the park, and do not approach the swim beach or use the bathrooms.

It would be nice if our jorba membership could be used to buy a discounted park pass.

Cushetunk is a tough climb - and now part of the toughest trail climb in NJ -
when it is dry - parking at pickell park, and riding into cush is a nice way to start - then loop back on round valley road.
recommend ignoring the cush blue trail that goes up the backside of the hill.
here is all of cush - https://www.strava.com/activities/623979486

https://www.strava.com/activities/809687240 - i park at pickell, ride through cush, out the back gate and down to the round mountain trails, then back via road.
the power lines at round valley look to be private property - even tho the road clearly connects to the paths. i haven't chanced it yet.

these are tough trails with tough climbs. Be mentally prepared to walk, and embrace it. challenge everyone to go just a bit farther.
the good is very good!!!
wow today didn't go so well at Cushetunk
parked at the railroad lot
WP_20170526_13_40_55_Pro.jpg

last time I was here it was 2 years ago, same sign
WP_20170526_13_42_00_Pro.jpg

went to the left and went up yellow where a hiker just exited. Not too tech but just keeps on going up. Hiked quite a bit and it got pretty steep when yellow meets white
WP_20170526_14_02_18_Pro.jpg

lots of rocks on top, at this point, not much pedaling
WP_20170526_14_09_30_Pro.jpg

I get lost for about an hour, trails but no blazes. Think I'm near the scout camp. Also get a flat:(. I'm back by Cushetunk again and found an interesting shelter in a tree
WP_20170526_14_32_08_Pro.jpg

o
WP_20170526_14_35_54_Pro.jpg

Eventually find my way to blue and hit a long downhill. Don't want to go up that way. I just made another big fricken circle
WP_20170526_15_33_26_Pro.jpg

more getting lost and eventually decided to head towards Pickell park. Thought cutting through the fields would be direct. No such luck, I'm going to get ticks...
WP_20170526_15_51_02_Pro.jpg

so damn happy to see Pickell park.
WP_20170526_15_55_48_Pro.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hiked quite a bit and it got pretty steep when yellow meets white
wp_20170526_14_02_18_pro-jpg.52573
White is raw and has just been opened up, it needs some bench cuts and rock removal.
You should have stayed to the right of that that tree and gone down yellow. Once at the bottom of yellow you go left and stay on trail, this will take you on a bunch of climbs and eventually the main lot in RV.
The advantage to parking in Cushataunk is that you don't have to pay the $10 park fee, the downside is the climb/hike-a-bike to get to the yellow trail.

Chris Nordt

Ugh!! As much as I would love to, my wife works late tonight so I've got my daughter. Even if I could find a baby sitter, I'de still have to get from work in Clark at 5:00 to the day care in Matawan, back to my house in Laurence Harbor to get my bike, then back up to the lot in afternoon traffic on 287.. I don't think I'de be there before 7/7:30 lol, maybe next Monday or Wednesday (weather permitting) I'll bring the bike to work with me and I can head straight over.

Chris Nordt

Weekends are becoming problematic for me, my wife took a new job that has her working Thurs-Sunday. So unless I can talk my parents in to watching my daughter in the morning I'm stuck, but if I give my parents enough notice I should be able to make some weekend rides.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
How about a weekend ride...? Also, wondering if anyone is willing to do a Sourlands tour for first timers. I've gotten a slight taste of biking on boulders at Jungle Habitat, wondering if Sourlands is any different?

Will put something together in the future for early at RV/Cush and Sourlands. Of course that is one ride for @jimvreeland, then throw in nassau for good measure.

qclabrat

Weekends are becoming problematic for me, my wife took a new job that has her working Thurs-Sunday. So unless I can talk my parents in to watching my daughter in the morning I'm stuck, but if I give my parents enough notice I should be able to make some weekend rides.
sorry bud, but you are screwed, call us in 10 years....
does either dawn patrol or fight club work for you on weekends?

Chris Nordt

sorry bud, but you are screwed, call us in 10 years....
does either dawn patrol or fight club work for you on weekends?

Haha no, not yet. She is about to be a year old and could care less about TV, my wife and I are shocked when she is occupied with TV for 5 minutes lol

qclabrat

@C8N and I will be riding at Lewis Morris park Saturday 8am from the Sunrise Lot
fun beginner pace, you will only be dropped if you don't wear a helmet or riding a SS...

If 8am is too early we'll loop back around for you at 9am
I need to leave the park at 10:30, so about 2hr-ish moving time
post up if interested

Top Bottom