Lake George -- Gurney Lane

Ride On

If anyone is heading up to Lake George this summer and looking for a really fun place to ride... try Gurney Lane Bike Park. It is located in Queensbury NY less than 10 minutes from downtown Lake George. There is not much info on this site so I figured I'd post some. This place is not very big but they have about 8 miles of purpose built single track MTB Trails plus another few miles of multi-use trails. The place is very flowy... not very technical but very fast. You can do all the trails in about an hour but they are so fun you will want to do them twice. For the most part it is beginner friendly but there is a bit of climbing. There are also some optional rock gardens. It was the perfect place to go due to its proximity to Lake George. Since it was a "family vacation" I couldn't be gone from my family for too long but I was able to get a two hour ride in and be back at our cabin in Diamondpoint by noon. Another plus... Gurney Lane is also a municipal park with a public swimming pool.

Park Brochure
Trail Map

Dominique

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If anyone is heading up to Lake George this summer and looking for a really fun place to ride.

@Norm and I second this. It's a really nice flowy place. We went there last year on our way to Canada and after our ride we spent the afternoon in the pool for a small fee.

Thinking about stopping there on our way to Canada this year, but this time with the kids.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, pool with a shower. It was great.

Ride on some awesome trails. Pay $5 to jump in pool. Take shower. Go get dinner. The world needs more places like this.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Thanks for the tip! Normally I rode the path from Lake George to Glens Falls, and take a minor detour to hit the trails in Cole's woods. But sounds like Gurney Lane will be more fun.... will check it out when we head up there this summer

chuprinko

Thanks for the info. Family will be going up to the lake near ticonderoga again this year. Last year only did road bike as I wasn't able to find trails.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
one more thing - if you go to gurney ln - stop at the log jam on rt 9 to eat.
full keto experience - or rabbit food, if that is your thing.
no need to thank me.

Sven Migot

Yes, Gurney Lane bike park is great. Been there in summer & winter fat biking.
Also, West Mountain ski area just added a bike park (DH & XC).

Matt_

I Get Jokes
On our way!
20170707_092454-1.jpg

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Nice...
Have a great trip.
Zoe mad a sad face when I told her she wasn't gonna see JT on sunday.

Ha... had a similar situation with JT this morning. We'll make it up to the when we get back. Will also give you our Lake George dates for next year; maybe hit the same campground ;)

Matt_

I Get Jokes
A few days in and the wife and I are loving this place! Now that I know the trails they're easy to put a few good loops together, mix some twisties followed by speed then a recovery climb or two.

They're also cutting some new one-way trails on the far East side, currently not on the map

https://www.strava.com/activities/1078442009

There have been a lot of notification emails sent out over the past few days because of my wife lol

https://www.strava.com/activities/1076868060

20170711_174831.jpg

Last edited:

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
IMG_0923.JPG
Yep the new trails are 16, 17 and 18. 17 absolutely rips. They're all good and the entire place is so pro MTB its unreal. Pumps and tools at the trailhead, fully stocked trail map bins, clearly marked intersections, and great flow. The township of Queensbury totally gets the MTB thing. Pretty much all four parks in the area allow Mtb access. A far cry from 20+ years ago when I used to pore over hiking/topo maps looking for places to ride up there and settling for carriage roads or overgrown logging roads.

Sven Migot

Yeah, Gurney Lane is fun. Plan to be there this weekend.

There's more trails nearby, tho I haven't been yet:

- SMBA trails off 17 (if you're heading south) or 15 (if you're heading north) http://saratogamtb.org/daniels-road/ Fantastic network...some pretty tough stuff in here... but really fun and scenic. Northern most sections are the most fun.

- Moreu Lake State Park (off Exit 17) http://nysparks.com/parks/attachments/MoreauLakeTrailMap.pdf Tough climbs, but amazing views.

- West Mountain Bike Park (XC & DH in the ski area)

- Ski Bowl in North Creek, NY (built by same builders as Gurney Lane).

- Brant Lake Bike Park in Brant Lake, NY (currently under construction by same builders as Gurney Lane).

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Yep SMBA is fun. Much more rugged than Gurney. Try the northern most trails if you have the time. they are up on top of massive rock formations Also look for a super tech trail that starts just south of the " 2nd Gate" It's not on the map.

Moreau has less rideable terrain than SMBA but some fun loops up top with great views.

Top Bottom