Cutting the cord (this again!)

Verizon is discountinuing email service and prices are staying the same and even going up? WTF.

Mine went up due to expired promo credits etc. Its looking like I will ditch the FIOS all together in favor of Optimum 100mbps service for $60 a month.

Thanks for all of the updates everyone. The in-laws have HBO, so I may be able to get a Go login from them to make the deal even sweeter. Doesn't youtube have a tv option coming soon? I forgot about that, need to do some research there.

Wish I did this back when I first started, but I like to plan, procrastinate until all of my planning is outdated, then plan again. And maybe execute.

In the past 1.5 years I've paid zero for wifi because I can live with my phone hotspot.(indirectly paying verizon anyway but not really with my work phone) Summer detox, you do have a choice and you are making it.

That would be nice, except my block is in a 4G black hole. Plus we would destroy our data allowance like that.

Bump bump, 1.5 years after I started this thread I'm still paying for cable. It's now $190 a month, no thanks.

Has anything changed lately? Anything new on the horizon? I'm planning to go $20 sling package + $15 HBO + 50mbps internet for a total of $90 a month.

BRO you need to just cut it and forget about it.

JUST LET EVERYTHING GO FIRST! JUST DO IT

1.5 yrs... you could have saved approx $2k after savings and spending on internet and streaming services

Good breakdown but I don't see a way out, sling looks good but you still pay for wifi so your at 130 a month at least. Gotta pay one way or another, someday someone will break through the clusterbuck all this is.

I'm at $95 (down from $190 for FIOS net, TV, & phone):
$60 for FIOS 100mb (I got them to match Optimum's price to keep me on board, plus I save the $60 Optimum install fee)
$20 for Sling TV
$15 for HBO Go

I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I've had both for >5 years so that doesn't really factor into my calculations.

I cut cable a few months back, wish I did it sooner. I was paying $255/mth now I pay $39/mth for just Internet.
We use Fire Sticks, for Kodi and Netflix etc. No regrets... I tried the free trials for Hulu and Sling but never subscribed.

now to get my $300/mth cellphone bill down would be amazing.

now to get my $300/mth cellphone bill down would be amazing.

This is what got me back here. I realized I'm making a sweet car payment to Verizon every month. No thanks.

Maybe project fi should be my next step

Switching to Optimum on Tuesday.
There summer sale hooked me into switching. 135 a month.
Down from FiOS 160.00 for two TV's.
I have been with FiOS for 5 years and next month it will go up to 227 when all the credits expire.
Going from 50/50 internet to 200/100.
Same tv and phone.

I went at this for sport last night when upgrading my son's iphone on Verizon....refused to pay the 30 activation fee (got nasty quickly), they discounted my total 30 to cover it. Tried to sneak in more insurance than I wanted, caught em and saved a sneaky addon there. Then I bitched about line access fees since some of mine (5 lines) were higher for no good reason, they fixed that.

Then since I was on a roll, I went after the FiOS folks....wanted to return one old SD set top box and the website told me since my promos were expiring my bill was about to go UP like 30+ bucks a month. I pushed hard immediately, got a lot of "no" until I mentioned I could switch providers (lucky to have choices in my area) and pay quite a bit less...after a few mins of being nasty, I am getting a return box sent to me for the STB and they renewed my deal with all of my features and a newer DVR, for a lower price.

All told, I saved us 50 bucks a month just for being an asshole, which I am very good at.

Did it all on the chat feature, never picked up the phone.

Do not allow Verizon to screw you with this "increase /expired deals if you touch your options at all" BS they are into...challenge it and they back down. ....the only part of my soul I sold was the normal 2 year commit....they force the conversation and try hard to upsell stuff you don't need.

you all crazy. Less than $100 a month cellphone bill 4 lines t-mobile. unlimited plan but I'm grand fathered so moot but valid point that they like to fuck you hard

I'm calling Verizon tomorrow to cancel everything but internet for my new place. Can you do it for me? Being an asshole is hard work!

Might be too late but call around and see what other options you have so you're armed with something. I knew I could get optimum for less money, so I used that along with the 2 yr agreement as bargaining chips. I said if you can give me $60 a month I'll accept the 2 year agreement that I absolutely don't want. Done deal.

we have 7 TVs, four have setboxes, one a Roku, another with the Chrome and the last just plays media in the HT. Down from 10, when we had them in the kitchen, master bath and garage.

minimally my family wants 3 tvs which get local programing and my father im law needs his soccer. We don't need premium channels. Also I can't get a strong air antenna signal anywhere despite being on the Watchungs.

what are my options?

I spent 53 minutes on the phone with Verizon yesterday and ended up with Gigabit/Quantum internet for $79.99/mo with no equipment. The rep said that since my area has Quantum availability, they only offer 50 or 100 mbps (i forget which one) or Quantum. It's a little more than I wanted to spend and way more speed than I need but still less than $135 for the triple play.

I'm just glad I don't have to pay Verizon to rent a shitty router anymore and can set up a Orbi mesh network on my own.

I'm just glad I don't have to pay Verizon to rent a shitty router anymore and can set up a Orbi mesh network on my own.

Nice, I finally got sick of it too and ran an ethernet cable to my ONT. Allowed me to ditch the POS moca router.

Back
Top Bottom