Watchung Reservation MTB Access - This Is It!!

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
If limited acreage is a concern, maybe a pump track or "skills park" would be a better plan of attack in UC than a full XC trail system? It would negate the shared use argument since it would be bike-specific, and the NIMBYs wouldn't have a trail go by their property line because it would be similar to a playground near a park's parking lot and not on the fringes of the park. Though, there's additional liability and maintenance concerns.

TheLonerider

I see your point, but no offense but the whole point is Watchung is HUGE plenty of room for all.

Downscaling things will lead to the same objections, just more intense because there is less space to go around.

Last edited:

Anthony Livelli

Houdaille Quarry could work. As of now it is used a leaf composting sight and parks department equipment storage plus Union county swat and sheriffs department shooting range. I wonder if they could or would spare some of that real estate. The back portions are pretty desolate and could be groomed into a short but fun setup.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hidden Valley wouldn't be too bad. Yes it's small, however with some creativity it could be pretty decent. As much of the terrain as possible would need to be used.

Although giving up may seem like the way to go, it is that approach which will never lead to change. That seems to be the norm these days - people not willing to keep pushing and standing up for what they believe is right. There's no reason to give up, just fight harder.
This!^
Union County riders, support whatever opportunity that is presented by the JORBA, UC chapter. Build some awesome trails (no matter how small). More importantly, build an awesome community. Show everyone what UC mtber's are capable of. Change perception, that's the only way things are going to change.
Action speaks louder than words. ;)

Matt_

I Get Jokes
This!^
Union County riders, support whatever opportunity that is presented by the JORBA, UC chapter. Build some awesome trails (no matter how small). More importantly, build an awesome community. Show everyone what UC mtber's are capable of. Change perception, that's the only way things are going to change.
Action speaks louder than words. ;)

7MKka.gif

thegock

Last night during the public comment portion of the FH meeting I disputed Bruce Bergen's assertions and reasoning that preceded the FH voting on 5/18/17. E.g. the top speeds on two rides he cited from Strava we're on the ROAD. My impression is that he wasn't pleased. I also spoke briefly with him after the meeting and left on a friendly note.

I was the only public commenter. There was no one else at the meeting. Bruce did throw in a bon mot about someone posting: "The first of many illegal rides" last Friday. We agreed that I wasn't "Queen of the MTB" and couldn't control what other people did. I think that I will go back again and finish my comments, which exceeded the five minute limit.

It is pretty much clear to me that we can never ride Watchung Reservation again.

qclabrat

Last night during the public comment portion of the FH meeting I disputed Bruce Bergen's assertions and reasoning that preceded the FH voting on 5/18/17. E.g. the top speeds on two rides he cited from Strava we're on the ROAD. My impression is that he wasn't pleased. I also spoke briefly with him after the meeting and left on a friendly note.

I was the only public commenter. There was no one else at the meeting. Bruce did throw in a bon mot about someone posting: "The first of many illegal rides" last Friday. We agreed that I wasn't "Queen of the MTB" and couldn't control what other people did. I think that I will go back again and finish my comments, which exceeded the five minute limit.

It is pretty much clear to me that we can never ride Watchung Reservation again.
thanks Tom for your continued voice at the FH meetings
and folks keep WR in the fight club arena please

TheLonerider

May nj.com article on vote has county saying they don't know why mtb was banned. Guess gov't hasn't changed much in 20 years when it comes to honesty.
"County officials said it is unclear why it was subsequently prohibited. " http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2017/05/hikers_vs_bikers_new_trail_through_watchung_reserv.html

Here we have a memo provided as part of one of my original '14 opra requests in which parks officials talk about rushing the ban into effect quickly "because the issue has begin to gather significant publicity"....
brians-rant-MemoParkDept-capt.jpg

Yer tax $ at work.... sort of.

...also note the article says riders were allowed 94 to 95. In an opra response county said it was 93 to 95. But the same person also opened the mt biking white paper in 95 with the line "mt biking in Watchung has dramatically increased over the last 5 years" so obviously that is not the case either.
Obfuscation, smoke, and mirrors.

It's like they think citizens are blind or can't read.

Lonerider

Last edited:

Xler8

It's like they think citizens are blind or can't read.

I would wager that they think people are not going to invest the time and effort to change this. And if people try to change it they will pull out their bag of tricks which includes stalling, smoke and mirrors, empty promises, etc. until things settle down.

The only question that remains is how many people are actually willing to put in the time and effort to make the change?

stilluf

To put some of the recent activity into context, remember that this most recent effort to add MTB access to Watchung was really started and pushed by the County. They commissioned the CME report; they passed the master trail plan; they welcomed JORBA in as a trail partner; they gave us the OK to start trail building. It was only when the Never-MTB folks got involved, and fed the NIMBY flames with fear-mongering and demonization, that the County backed off.

thegock

May nj.com article on vote has county saying they don't know why mtb was banned. Guess gov't hasn't changed much in 20 years when it comes to honesty.
"County officials said it is unclear why it was subsequently prohibited. " http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2017/05/hikers_vs_bikers_new_trail_through_watchung_reserv.html

Here we have a memo provided as part of one of my original '14 opra requests in which parks officials talk about rushing the ban into effect quickly "because the issue has begin to gather significant publicity"....Unsafe Gorge on Pink DSCN0597.jpg Unsafe Gorge on Pink DSCN0597.jpg
brians-rant-MemoParkDept-capt.jpg

Yer tax $ at work.... sort of.

...also note the article says riders were allowed 94 to 95. In an opra response county said it was 93 to 95. But the same person also opened the mt biking white paper in 95 with the line "mt biking in Watchung has dramatically increased over the last 5 years" so obviously that is not the case either.
Obfuscation, smoke, and mirrors.

Kind of strange that the person this is from, Dan Bernier, who lives in the Watchung Reservation, is in effect the "Head NIMBY". Aight?

Maybe he should get out and actually maintain some of the trails?

Unsafe Gorge on Pink DSCN0597.jpg

Top Bottom