Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

rick81721

Lothar
Anyone have one (or the elemnt)? Mine should arrive next week. Reviews look great, easier to configure, easier to read, no more pita touch screen. My old garmin is scratched to hell and still occasionally buggy.

I want a Bolt but my Edge 500 just won't die. Who wants it for $100?!?

I've heard from people using the regular Elemnt that they love it. It just looks far too big. The security screw on the bottom of the Bolt is really nifty.

I want a Bolt but my Edge 500 just won't die. Who wants it for $100?!?

I've heard from people using the regular Elemnt that they love it. It just looks far too big. The security screw on the bottom of the Bolt is really nifty.

Yeah I went for the bolt because it's smaller and has all the same features except battery life drops from 17 to 15 hrs. I hear the battery life of the Garmin 1000 sucks

As it so happens, I have a Wahoo Elemnt in its original packaging, never used. I received it as a unexpected warrantee replacement (when I complained about the map limitation mentioned below). The screen IS terrific -- very sharp, easily read in sunlight. I decided to go back to a Garmin computer as one "flaw" in the Elemnt (which Wahoo is said to be working on) is a scrollable map (you can zoom the map, but can't direct it to a remote section of map beyond the current location). Wahoo has been issuing regular (meaning every month, if not more frequently) firmware updates, however, so mods/improvements/bug fixes have been coming rapidly. With the introduction of the Bolt, they seem even more motivated with their updates.

If the map limitation doesn't bother you, or you're just more interested in the data screens, then this is a great unit. It lists for $329.98 -- I'd be willing to part with it for $225.00 firm. If I don't sell the Elemnt, I'll keep it as Wahoo will probably be addressing the mapping issue soon. Available for pickup in/around North Plainfield, or I'll ship it to you if you'll pay the tab (sorry for the rotated photos). PM me if interested:

IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG

As it so happens, I have a Wahoo Elemnt in its original packaging, never used. I received it as a unexpected warrantee replacement (when I complained about the map limitation mentioned below). The screen IS terrific -- very sharp, easily read in sunlight. I decided to go back to a Garmin computer as one "flaw" in the Elemnt (which Wahoo is said to be working on) is a scrollable map (you can zoom the map, but can't direct it to a remote section of map beyond the current location). Wahoo has been issuing regular (meaning every month, if not more frequently) firmware updates, however, so mods/improvements/bug fixes have been coming rapidly. With the introduction of the Bolt, they seem even more motivated with their updates.

If the map limitation doesn't bother you, or you're just more interested in the data screens, then this is a great unit. It lists for $329.98 -- I'd be willing to part with it for $225.00 firm. If I don't sell the Elemnt, I'll keep it as Wahoo will probably be addressing the mapping issue soon. Available for pickup in/around North Plainfield, or I'll ship it to you if you'll pay the tab (sorry for the rotated photos). PM me if interested:

View attachment 51321 View attachment 51322 View attachment 51323 View attachment 51324 View attachment 51325

Hi Dave thanks for the info and offer but mine is already ordered and shipping soon.

@FitmanNJ, I can't pull the trigger right now but may in a month if it's still for sale.
Hotsauce, I'm in no hurry and really just was inspired to list my Elemnt after seeing the postings to this thread. If you get ready to pull the trigger, just reach out and we'll see if it's still around.

I have the Elmnt. Great unit and it's really easy to customize the screens with the phone app. I agree with Fitman's issue with the map. It's fine 90% of the time, but falls short when you're really trying to navigate. When you zoom out, it should keep the road/trail detail one unzoomed level longer if that makes sense. It's a bit more than a minor issue on an otherwise great product. The map detail itself is a bit odd. In some locations, peoples driveways will show up on road rides! Some parks (e.g., Stephens) have all main and not-so-main trails included, but others (e.g., Mahlon) are missing many trails. Go figure.

I have the Elmnt. Great unit and it's really easy to customize the screens with the phone app. I agree with Fitman's issue with the map. It's fine 90% of the time, but falls short when you're really trying to navigate. When you zoom out, it should keep the road/trail detail one unzoomed level longer if that makes sense. It's a bit more than a minor issue on an otherwise great product. The map detail itself is a bit odd. In some locations, peoples driveways will show up on road rides! Some parks (e.g., Stephens) have all main and not-so-main trails included, but others (e.g., Mahlon) are missing many trails. Go figure.
The maps are pre-loaded at the factory and can't be updated at this time (that's on the "Wish List"). So, what you see with regard to trails is what was available on Open Street Map at the time they prepped it up for use on the Elemnt. You can choose to add or delete maps for different countries, but they're all of the same vintage.

So, like I said, the display is excellent, and designing data screens with the Elemnt App is very slick. The maps need some work, though. Also, it's Bluetooth and Ant+ compatible, which allows it to pair with more accessories than Garmin units.

First ride today - slapped it on the spearfish as other 2 bikes are in the shop and set up to collect data along with the garmin 810. Very easy to set up and customizing pages is a breeze, just select whatever you want on the phone app and when paired the changes are instantaneous. Even tho the screen is smaller than the 810, right off the bat it is very noticeable the screen is brighter and easier to read on the bolt, less glare from the sun too. Here's a pic at 6mr but doesn't really capture it:

18161848_301235886980738_426520763940470784_n.jpg

I really like scrolling pages with buttons instead of touch screen. When the ride is done, as soon as you pair to the phone again, the ride is on strava. The maps also show trails, I don't remember if the garmin default maps have them but this does - I followed it on the blue trail and it doesn't have the latest additions but it's close. Both were set on auto pause but only the garmin annoying paused in twistie sections, the bolt did not. Data comparison at the end: Garmin: 24.5 miles, 10.6 mph ave, 2:18:20 moving time, 1237 ft elevation. Bolt: 24.7 miles, 10.7 mph ave, 2:19:07 moving time, 883 ft elevation. Bolt seems more precise, just looking at the gps tracks there's a significant difference. The elevation gain seems more reasonable on the bolt too. More tests to come

Comparing a 4 plus year old device to 1 that's been out just over a month? Is this just because?

Comparing a 4 plus year old device to 1 that's been out just over a month? Is this just because?
I'm mentally comparing it to an Edge 500 which is 7-8 years old.

Most people considering a GPS these days already have one that is a few years old and most likely still gets the job done. Comparing the incremental benefits makes sense since no one "needs" this, just determining if the new features are worth $250 more than the current features.

Back
Top Bottom