Going Long and Hard.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Yes. I'm still trying to get into the 350.

interesting that Mikesee's wife got in with no prior qualifier....she did awesome though, definitely worthy, but it shows it is still who you know and how well you are known. What is your view of the iditasport? For those not familiar, this is basically an equivalent race but by a different promoter. The qualification requirements are much less.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Yeah, I can do Iditasport, but that's not the big show. While it's the original Iditarod race and route, none of the big names show up to it anymore. I want to race against my friends. And yeah, Mikesee's wife and about a dozen others got in with no qualifiers at all.

Steve Vai

Except they're both the same route. So I'd go out to McGrath, ride back, and then go out to McGrath again.

Steve Vai

IMG_20170421_092747_242.jpg
IMG_20170421_215946_921.jpg
IMG_20170422_065331_963.jpg
IMG_20170422_151526_317.jpg
Screenshot_20170423-185054.png

Steve Vai

7 hours 9 minutes? BEAST!

I'm at a computer now, which is rare these days, so I'll actually write something about this.

Batsto 200k

This was my first Brevet of the season, and ever for that matter. I wasn't really sure what to expect other than putting a long day in the saddle.

At the start point in Egg Harbor I asked a lot of questions about the card and whatnot as that's all new to me. Joe was basically like, it'll be fine, you'll figure it out. I showed up just before the official start time of 7am and needed a little extra time to pack my bike and bottles so I left around 7:15, you were allowed to leave anytime up to 8am. Brevet rookie mistake, the timer starts at the actual start time, not when you leave. That's why my Garmin and Official time are different. My goal was to break 7 hours, which I did on my clock, but not on theirs, next time I know!!

As far as the ride, it was wet and windy all day. Not ever horrific, but enough. Leaving late I had to go pretty hard in the beginning to catch the lead group. It took about 20ish miles to make that happen. Starting a long ride with a solo TT at threshold usually isn't a good idea but I've done dumber so...Sit in for a few miles to recover and then end up at the front a few miles out from the first Control. I didn't take notes on where the Controls were so I had to stay in the group at this point. After the volunteers signed my card I took mental notes of the next Control. Only 4 of us left without refueling, from here on out, I'd be on the front pulling the group.

Control2 was a pizza place in Salem. We took a slightly longer stop to pee but we were all on the same page and wanted to keep lollygagging to a minimum. Back on the road after a few minutes. I'm not sure where it happened but we lost our 4th guy somewhere.

Control3 was an Info Control which didn't require a stop, it just asked the mileage on a sign we went by. Shortly after we hit a few rollers and I kept pace, the 2 behind me fell off and I took the opportunity to ride them off my wheel. Neither were contributing to the effort anyway so, bye bye. 90K solo effort to the end? Sure, why not? This is kinda what I do.

Control4 I started to feel the effects of being out front all day. I actually needed a stop to refuel. So I did. I bought some RedBull and some candy and was just getting back on the bike when the 2 I left came in. 35 miles to go, many of those looking over my shoulder as I expected 2 guys working together to easily reel me in. But they didn't. Finished 10 minutes before the next guy, who also beat the previous record. The 3rd guy finished 10 minutes behind him. We all ate and hung out at the Tavern, got dressed, packed our cars, even as I was leaving, 4th place hadn't finished yet. Huge gap.

All in all this was a ton of fun. Totally up my alley. I'm more than likely gonna blow off CTC to do the Cranbury200 instead. I'm into it.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
sounds interesting, always wanted to do a MTB version of this or something. kind of like an alley cat in the woods.

no write up about boy wonder?!

Steve Vai

Boy wonder is sick. Like literally. I dragged him to race on Sunday so I'm not sure how much he enjoyed himself.

The short version. Starts midpack. Is in lead at top of first climb. Crashes somewhere on the back descent. Comes by me in 10th or so. I yell at him to go harder but he doesn't respond. Somewhere along the way he passes 5 people. 5th place. I think we'll see a completely different race in 2 weeks.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Boy wonder is sick. Like literally. I dragged him to race on Sunday so I'm not sure how much he enjoyed himself.

The short version. Starts midpack. Is in lead at top of first climb. Crashes somewhere on the back descent. Comes by me in 10th or so. I yell at him to go harder but he doesn't respond. Somewhere along the way he passes 5 people. 5th place. I think we'll see a completely different race in 2 weeks.
LewMo next. Get him healthy and let's see what happens. The front end of the Varsity & JV field was putting in 17 minute laps!!!

Steve Vai

3 things.

1-I didn't get into the ITI. Again. Looking into Idatabike. Moving on.

2-I put 25c tires on my bike. Was running 30c last week during Batsto. Still set course record.

3-I actually took notes for Cranbury. Which is one of my normal loops. Hopefully can break 7 hours officially unlike last week.

20170427_212723.jpg

The Kalmyk

3 things.

1-I didn't get into the ITI. Again. Looking into Idatabike. Moving on.

2-I put 25c tires on my bike. Was running 30c last week during Batsto. Still set course record.

3-I actually took notes for Cranbury. Which is one of my normal loops. Hopefully can break 7 hours officially unlike last week.

View attachment 51414

I know that route. I hit the worst head winds I've ever experienced in my life coming onto Ocean from Rumson Rd. I wasn't expecting it and was riding solo. I could see a group ahead of me but couldn't catch em.

Steve Vai

Brutal day at the Cranbury 200k. Team mate Ian and I broke from the group less than a mile in. Were well over 20mph until we hit the wind on Ocean Ave. 400+ watts to go like 15mph kinda wind. I was so focused on keeping pace I blew by Control 3. Ian tried yelling to me but it didn't work. Luckily I only went a couple miles before I caught it and backtracked to check in. Wind. More wind. Then wind. With the record in arm's reach I turned myself inside out for last 5 miles into the wind, again. Made it in 7:34, one minute faster than the current record of 7:35. Was absolutely shelled at the finish. Haven't felt that bad in a long time.

Next up is the first 300k. Hilly so I'm just planning on riding and not racing it.

IMG_20170429_144940_877.jpg
IMG_20170429_150933_757.jpg

Top Bottom