Baldpate Conditions

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Whats the difference between this one and the other one like this that comes down the hill from the white? They were created the same way...

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
mike is this that pine grove trail you pointed out the time we were there? was that a rogue trail?

Yes, that's the one Dave. It is rogue.

Whats the difference between this one and the other one like this that comes down the hill from the white? They were created the same way...

If you are talking about the one I think you are... (twisty, fun and well routed that goes to the red trail near the other trail in question) I believe that is closed too. are there signs up?

My guess is that most of the trails at BP started as rogue trails (besides the ridge trail). Not unlike most NJ trails.

The county is closing anything that has been built without authority in the last few years. Old stuff that they knew about but isn't on the map, they don't seem to be pissed about.

Maybe rcarch (Rich) will stop in here with more insight since he is the JORBA lead at BP and working with the county.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
If you are talking about the one I think you are... (twisty, fun and well routed that goes to the red trail near the other trail in question) I believe that is closed too. are there signs up?

My guess is that most of the trails at BP started as rogue trails (besides the ridge trail). Not unlike most NJ trails.

The county is closing anything that has been built without authority in the last few years. Old stuff that they knew about but isn't on the map, they don't seem to be pissed about.

Maybe rcarch (Rich) will stop in here with more insight since he is the JORBA lead at BP and working with the county.

Interesting. Yes that is the one. I have not been there since the spring.

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Interesting. Yes that is the one. I have not been there since the spring.

Yeah, the situation sucks....the stuff that get's to stay is the fall line crap but we don't have a say. If we can build some trust, it may not have to be like this forever.
I haven't been over there in a few months myself.

TeamMuddySprocket

We are currently trying to work out a reroute of the copper hill trail... so not angering the county would be a good thing!

Alot of baldpate is old farm access roads, hence why they are so wide.. not very sustanaible, alot of fall line leading to alot of erosion. Hopefully over the coming years we can work out a better plan for the park

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
Went for a hike here today, started at church. I lost count of how many huge trees are blocking the trails on red and orange. Still loads of snow and the trails all had a couple inches of stream like water running down them.

CKjeep84

Went for a ride saturday afternoon. parked at the church rd parking lot made it up to the top of the powerline trail and holy cow was it muddy i walked about half the time i was there. only one tree in the way. took the red trail, blue and PW line trail. once i got to the top i road the copper trail loop then back down the same way.

anyone ride the lower trails lately?

slinky

Was not expecting it to be so rocky, not a bad thing, but I would've rode with knee pads if I knew. Upper red was a bit muddy

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Was not expecting it to be so rocky, not a bad thing, but I would've rode with knee pads if I knew. Upper red was a bit muddy

Haha. It's not that rocky considering that it's part of the Sourlands. :D

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
All good - well, red and yellow anyway - didn't make it to the nice side of the park....gravity seemed to be a little more severe there.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Total shit show here. Honey hollow is 50% streams for trails and 50% ok, the back side, which is rockier and now grade, is ok, but the flat connectors are a stream and I am sure the red trail is really wet. Go some place else for a few weeks.

it is no secret that Baldpate has poorly designed trails. many of them fall line and it is really amazing to see the erosion over a 10 year period. Hopefully Larry can make some progress and we can get some TM going here again.

I'm gonna go ride baldpate for the first time this Sunday morning if anyone is interested. Hopefully the trails aren't to bad.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
FYI
51403729-CE59-45EF-96E3-ACCB906CE2BD.jpeg

stevie.mtb

Anyone ride here recently? How is the overgrowth on the trails...manageable?
Also, concerning the sign in the last post, am I safe to ride here with an orange jersey? lol

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Anyone ride here recently? How is the overgrowth on the trails...manageable?
Also, concerning the sign in the last post, am I safe to ride here with an orange jersey? lol
In good condition, you are good to go with archery. Overgrowth wasn’t much of a concern this year.

Top Bottom