Youth mountain bike advice

ChrispyKreme

I've been looking used for a while but have no luck finding more then a hotrock or mt220. Not that there bad at all but look more trail then performance. My budget is 1k so the trail ridge is out.

ChrispyKreme

Yea I bet, I've been look in for a while used or leftover but you know the deal. Not so many parents see the sport in kids bikes. Let me know when your free to get them riding on a weekend

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Will do. Weekends are normally packed, but I try to squeak out for a ride whenever there's breathing room. Sunday mornings are usually good once Sunday School ends.

Check out the Allaire TM schedule. We try to make every one of those, and there's a ride afterwards. If you can't make it to TM, come for the ride.

ChrispyKreme

Well brielle is getting a 26 in for sat morning. The choice is trek 26 superfly or specialized riprock 24 expert. I haven't ruled out the 24 superfly but he's right at the 26 so it seems crazy not to go that route At the same price point its gonna be a tough call. Ill snap a pic of it this weekend the rip rock even at the expert level still only has 1x10 vs 26 has the 1x11

Matt_

I Get Jokes
any thoughts on DiamondBack? Just got my REI dividend...

https://www.rei.com/product/113850/diamondback-line-24-boys-bike-2017

Looks like a solid platform! Noticed that the pictures have the XCR fork but the description says XCT... if it actually comes with the XCR that's a huge win. Based on other 24" bikes currently available in that price range, I'd give it a shot especially if you have REI discount points.

Edit, am I reading this right, that the model up with a lighter fork is 33lb?
https://www.rei.com/product/108561/diamondback-syncr-24-boys-bike-2017
For $250 more, and what should be at least 1lb lighter than the other version, I'd give this one a close look and verify the weight... should be closer to 25lb if the other bike is actually 27 as the spec states

@Chrisbfuse looks like I'm heading to Allaire tomorrow. What time do you want to meet so I can check out the new bike?

Last edited:

qclabrat

Well brielle is getting a 26 in for sat morning. The choice is trek 26 superfly or specialized riprock 24 expert. I haven't ruled out the 24 superfly but he's right at the 26 so it seems crazy not to go that route At the same price point its gonna be a tough call. Ill snap a pic of it this weekend the rip rock even at the expert level still only has 1x10 vs 26 has the 1x11

haven't read this thread completely, but if you are going 26" won't an older well spec'd XS 26r be about the same size?

ChrispyKreme

Looks like a solid platform! Noticed that the pictures have the XCR fork but the description says XCT... if it actually comes with the XCR that's a huge win. Based on other 24" bikes currently available in that price range, I'd give it a shot especially if you have REI discount points.

For $250 more, and what should be at least 1lb lighter than the other version, I'd give this one a close look and verify the weight... should be closer to 25lb if the other bike is actually 27 as the spec states

@Chrisbfuse looks like I'm heading to Allaire tomorrow. What time do you want to meet so I can check out the new bike?
Brielle says bike should be built around noon to check out, so a safe bet if say 2

Tarroneus

I saw that as well and thought it was strange. I think that's more than I want to spend though. Keeping it $500-ish I'm looking at the Diamondback Line 24, Specialized RipRock, Scott Scale 24 JR Plus.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I saw that as well and thought it was strange. I think that's more than I want to spend though. Keeping it $500-ish I'm looking at the Diamondback Line 24, Specialized RipRock, Scott Scale 24 JR Plus.

I hear ya, actually just impressed with the spec on that bike. The XCR air spring fork is 1 lb lighter and is a $150-200 upgrade alone, that's what caught my eye. Then the 11spd NX drivetrain that comes on most adult bikes that are 2 or 3x the msrp, Sram crank, and a few other odds & ends. Make it a combination gift, birthday + something lol

I fully admit I'm probably close to the ridiculous spectrum when I consider my kids bikes.... but I have 4 of them and expect a lot of use as they're passed down. If this was a one kid use, I'd probably have a tough time convincing myself to swing the $800.

ChrispyKreme

We went with the trek superfly 26. At 4'4" its perfect. Bike definately rips. Its expensive but worth every penny

Attachments

• 0325171301.jpg
    0325171301.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Top Bottom