Turbo's Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm down. We need to hit something called Huckleberry Ridge right near there too. Could also hit High Point on the way back.
Let me know when. Cross stuff next Sat, probably free Sunday. Past that, we'll talk.

It's been a while but.... marty's fat 50 was today...a base race is always good. I've been in the gym and training for a few weeks now. Diet is back on track. Marty's puts on a killer event. Today was pretty mich a complete hammer ride pacelining all the way to high bridge and back to roxbury. 52 miles in 3hrs26 min including a 2 mile mini death climb each way. The rest is mostly bike path/gravel trail...all on fat bikes. Felt good to put my recovering legs to work. I beat last uear's time by 27 minutes.

Getting into race season now. I didn't mention to anyone but after blowing up the end of last year I got an offer for a coach. I took it back in January and feel like I am working with one of the best. @JohnA (Global Elite Coaching) has been helping me out.
So, 2 months in the gym and my first time on any training ride was three weeks ago. I felt tired and lagging but LEG DAY. I did a Hillier Than Thou type century with @xc62701 and felt pretty good. The next week I did short track and finished 17th in expert. Today was the beach race and it went great. It was short and sweet(7miles with a 20mph+ headwind for half of it. I holeshotted and a few minutes in Alwx Davies of Cannondale fame passed me. Then went Mancuso and 3 or 4 other fast dudes. I was able to get them all back by the half way point and built a gap. I was closing in on first and second 2 miles from the end and then stayed even. The last two miles were fast and I closed from about 100' gap to 500' or so and that was all she write. I feel great and am down to 201lbs. (From 216 or so). I am doing a training ride next week and then the last short track. I will start with the 2nd and 3rd h2h races in cat 1 ss and see where to go from there. SSP and Bearscat are my big races this year and wilderness 101 will be my 40th bday ride. I would like to do one more NUE(prob shenandoah), a fee more h2h/mass races and the stew45.
I just want to thank @JohnA for the help. He's been great with getting me back in form.

198 lbs today. Not quite @xc62701 type weight dropping but unlike last year I haven't quit drinking...yet. Hoping to lay off brews for a bit( 2 days a week currently). Would love to be 190 bu the time mooch rolls around but we will see. Hoping at some point to see 185 this year. I know I am stronger than last year so this should be a good combo.

Now, it'sfriday morning and I do not know what I am doing tomorrow. I signed up for Hell of Hunterdon but I may just H2H it with @Riggedfmx . I've been working too mich but on a side note my training hasn't skipped a beat. See you at the r....ides....races?:confused:

Nice work! As long as you're maintaining your power - lighter is faster! I haven't quit drinking but I've just cut it back and looked into the amount of calories in the beers that I do drink. It seems I like the 450 calorie ones so when I do have a beer I'll look to have a Fat Tire(150 cal) or something on the lighter side to curb the craving and save the extra calories. Keep it up man and if you come to Mayhem I'll see ya there.

Dave, props on your training progress. You're going to be an all out animal this year! If you're considering H2H I'll be there too. I missed reg by a day.. cut off is usually Thursday. Only 4 pre-reg'd, it'll be a good race with a few more heads. Also, I don't think you were there last year.. fast and flowy fun course.

Today was not fun for me. I was torn between racing and HOH. Westher channel gave the nod to HOH. I am racing endurance this year so I treated it as such. I went out with @pooriggy , @Mountain Bike Mike and sixer. Someone flatted around 10 miles in so I kept going. I tried finding pacelines and such but pretty much did it alone. I started at 9:08 and finished at 2 on the nose. One rest stop for food and strrtch but back on bike in 3 minutes. I hammered first 40 but cramped the second forty. I'm happy with how the day went but definitely need to lighten up my road bike and find some aero wheels. I was fast on sketchy sections but had my doors blown off on fast downhills. Stopping or blowing by a rest stop can make the difference in a race. I drank 4 bottles, ate 3 salt tabs, 4 advil, 4 leg pills, 2 stroupe waffles, 1 enduro bites, 2 sugar wafers, 2 chocolate chip cookies, a banana, half a soft pretzel and two gus. I'm whooped.

Today was not fun for me. I was torn between racing and HOH. Westher channel gave the nod to HOH. I am racing endurance this year so I treated it as such. I went out with @pooriggy , @Mountain Bike Mike and sixer. Someone flatted around 10 miles in so I kept going. I tried finding pacelines and such but pretty much did it alone. I started at 9:08 and finished at 2 on the nose. One rest stop for food and strrtch but back on bike in 3 minutes. I hammered first 40 but cramped the second forty. I'm happy with how the day went but definitely need to lighten up my road bike and find some aero wheels. I was fast on sketchy sections but had my doors blown off on fast downhills. Stopping or blowing by a rest stop can make the difference in a race. I drank 4 bottles, ate 3 salt tabs, 4 advil, 4 leg pills, 2 stroupe waffles, 1 enduro bites, 2 sugar wafers, 2 chocolate chip cookies, a banana, half a soft pretzel and two gus. I'm whooped.

Leaving us when 6er flatted was a mistake.. sticking with us would guarantee a wheel to suck when you needed it. Kev did a lot of work today and I took every opportunity to get that relief... that seems like a lot to eat during a ride. I had 4 bottles total with a NUUN tab in each. We skipped the first aid station and at the second, I ate two fig newtons amd a half a cup of coke. At the last aid station, I ate 3 choc chip cookies and a cup of coke. Then ate a bag of honey stinger gummies later...

Regardless - good to see you out there. You did good, I kinda did similarly last year and came back this year with a mission to not die. Come back next year and improve.

Leaving us when 6er flatted was a mistake.. sticking with us would guarantee a wheel to suck when you needed it. Kev did a lot of work today and I took every opportunity to get that relief... that seems like a lot to eat during a ride. I had 4 bottles total with a NUUN tab in each. We skipped the first aid station and at the second, I ate two fig newtons amd a half a cup of coke. At the last aid station, I ate 3 choc chip cookies and a cup of coke. Then ate a bag of honey stinger gummies later...

Regardless - good to see you out there. You did good, I kinda did similarly last year and came back this year with a mission to not die. Come back next year and improve.
I don't think it was a mistake. You don't stop in a race. You are usually out there all by your self at wilderness or any endurance race. I wanted to go hard because I never really make myself bonk. I need to push my limits. I may have finished a hair faster if I had waited but honestly, marty's fat fifty is the only race I have ever been in a paceline. I am still some pounds away from race weight as well. You are doing phenomenal. Keep it up. My biggest accomplishment today was avoiding the post race beers. Easy for some, not for me @Mountain Bike Mike .

I don't think it was a mistake. You don't stop in a race. You are usually out there all by your self at wilderness or any endurance race. I wanted to go hard because I never really make myself bonk. I need to push my limits. I may have finished a hair faster if I had waited but honestly, marty's fat fifty is the only race I have ever been in a paceline. I am still some pounds away from race weight as well. You are doing phenomenal. Keep it up. My biggest accomplishment today was avoiding the post race beers. Easy for some, not for me @Mountain Bike Mike .

Ah - didn't know that you had that as your goal today.. makes sense now.

Ringwood rumble. 1st real cat 1 ss race. Started off well, went with the group and held on to @pooriggy and the group to end of lap one. @Bravoporkchop caught me on lap 2 at the switchback climb and I got scared but I guess he blew up a bit. I continued and chased Cima Bue on lap 3 but lost touch after end of first tech climb. He finished 1.5 minutes or so up. Felt good, needed four laps and one more tooth on cog. Singlespeed FS is real @UtahJoe . Best thing I have done. I feel good on the bike, still fighting IPAs a bit but I am down to 196lbs from 216-218ish area. Goal is 180 by wilderness(no drinking will help this). Eating healthy but beer tastes so good. I just want to beat @xc62701 on an ss at w101...pipe dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom