Garmin Speed Senser?

Hey Guys,

Been struggling for a long time trying to get the Garmin to track proper distance on the trail, seems great on the road but not on the trail, just wondering if anyone used one of these speed sensors and if it seems to improve accuracy?.
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Bike-Speed-Sensor-Cadence/dp/B00JLMS848?th=1
My experience is, yes, it does improve distance accuracy, particularly in cases where the trail twists around a lot (i.e., where using a GPS signal even every second tends to "short" the distance).

My experience is, yes, it does improve distance accuracy, particularly in cases where the trail twists around a lot (i.e., where using a GPS signal even every second tends to "short" the distance).

Same experience here, you just have to accurately measure tire diameter. I use the paint drop on the tire, ride the driveway, then measure distance between dots method

Hey Guys,

Been struggling for a long time trying to get the Garmin to track proper distance on the trail, seems great on the road but not on the trail, just wondering if anyone used one of these speed sensors and if it seems to improve accuracy?.
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Bike-Speed-Sensor-Cadence/dp/B00JLMS848?th=1

I use it on my road and gravel bikes. After I paired it, I rode on a straight rode with little tree cover an power lines and the Garmin calibrated the wheel size. Been consistent ever since.

I use it on my road and gravel bikes. After I paired it, I rode on a straight rode with little tree cover an power lines and the Garmin calibrated the wheel size. Been consistent ever since.
Even more consistent if you manually measure and enter the value. I use it on my road bikes but dont have it on my mtb because who cares about actual mileage / speed on the mtb

Even more consistent if you manually measure and enter the value. I use it on my road bikes but dont have it on my mtb because who cares about actual mileage / speed on the mtb

100% agree. Did that with my old edge 705 but couldn't find the input area in ten min on the edge 1000 and my impatience won out. :)

I find that on the road it is very accurate even with a sensor (I have ridden with a wired computer and compared the 2).
On the MTB, I just like to know how long I rode.. speed not really important.

Last edited:
because who cares about actual mileage / speed on the mtb

8e7.png

Back
Top Bottom