Official: Ask Kevin what I should wear on my ride today

jpn

This is a great thread.

Thank you.

This is how I have been rolling lately
KIMG0476.jpeg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
What should we have worn for Short Track this morning at 10 degrees, Mr. @stb222?

They lightest tight you own, long sleeve base layer, short sleeve over top. Long finger gloves with no fleece. Wool socks. Summer shoes. When you went off I'd have switched to knee and arm warmers.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
@stb222 the outlook for the weather is rain with more rain the next day or so. i haven't bought fenders yet for the new ride (or my old ride for that matter since i went down last winter and broke the last set). what the hell do i wear in cold rain so i can get out? windbreaker type stuff?

or do you throw in the towel and say skip the day?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
@stb222 the outlook for the weather is rain with more rain the next day or so. i haven't bought fenders yet for the new ride (or my old ride for that matter since i went down last winter and broke the last set). what the hell do i wear in cold rain so i can get out? windbreaker type stuff?

When rain, dress in your dry weather kit -10 degrees. So high for tomorrow is 48, so dress for 38, if raining.

The only place I don't think this rule works is your head. You can usually get away with whatever hat you would wear at that temp. That being said , 40's is right on the I need a hat, so the HOH cycling cap may leave your ears cold. Good thing I have a 40 degree with rain hat :).

Gloves are a challenge, I have never wished for cooler hands during a rain ride. While your hands my be warm at first, if it is raining on the hard side, your gloves will be wet quickly.

So when I ride tomorrow, it will be 38, so I will dress for 28 AND possibly throw my lobster shell covers over my gloves I would normal wear at 28.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
So when I ride tomorrow, it will be 38, so I will dress for 28 AND possibly throw my lobster shell covers over my gloves I would normal wear at 28.

is soft shell a bad idea? because i normally wear one on the colder days. just wondering if i should focus on staying really dry or just accepting the wet and just trying to stay warm. because if that's the case, i'm going with wool.

rick81721

Lothar

Skip. I'm hitting the treadmill

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
is soft shell a bad idea? because i normally wear one on the colder days. just wondering if i should focus on staying really dry or just accepting the wet and just trying to stay warm. because if that's the case, i'm going with wool.
The soft shell stuff is reasonable water resistant depending on the brand / model, pretty damn well. I only have soft sheel stuff as the hard sheel stuff is too warm. Softshell with wool base layer FTW.

Your going to get wet, hence the -10 degree rule. I can tell you it probably won't be as bad as you think. But I have had a few rides where it was worse, and when it goes worse, usually waaaay worse.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Give us your hot-weather tips to staying cool in the saddle!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Give us your hot-weather tips to staying cool in the saddle!
The faster you ride, the faster the air cools you skin
Don't stop
Don't climb
Don't ride under heavy canopy on very humid days
Riding in the AM is trading the heat for the humidity
At least a bottle an hour, 20-24oz
Don't wear an aero helmet
Don't live in Florideah or North Carolina

Last edited:
Top Bottom