Will Fox Float RP23 work on an 6" Travel bike?

Ride On

I have all the parts to build up a new bike except the frame. I have a Fox Float RP23 Rear Shock, and a Fox Talas 32 RL FIT (150MM) fork from a Kona Cadabra that I cracked. I have my eye on an Azonic Avenger All Mountain frame with 6" travel. Would the RP23 and the Talas 32 be a good match for that frame? I am thinking the Fork will be fine but am concerned that RP23 may not be enough travel for that frame. I am about 250lbs. I don't really jump much but I do ride fairly hard as I am not really the smoothest of riders.

I have all the parts to build up a new bike except the frame. I have a Fox Float RP23 Rear Shock, and a Fox Talas 32 RL FIT (150MM) fork from a Kona Cadabra that I cracked. I have my eye on an Azonic Avenger All Mountain frame with 6" travel. Would the RP23 and the Talas 32 be a good match for that frame? I am thinking the Fork will be fine but am concerned that RP23 may not be enough travel for that frame. I am about 250lbs. I don't really jump much but I do ride fairly hard as I am not really the smoothest of riders.
You need to measure the eye to eye distance of your shock (centers of mounting hole to center of a there mounting hole while extended) and check what the manufacturers specs for shock size of the new frame on their website. As for the front end, most frames will give you a recommended fork travel and you can usually go up or down some without much negative effect, but the shock should really be the exact size needed for the frame. The wrong size anything will lead to bad geometry and different stress on the frame and parts which could lead to injury or death.

p.s. Just know that two bikes with the same travel, 6" in your example, can 100% have different length shocks because of different suspension designs.

there's a guy selling an Avenger on Pinkbike, ironically his bike is only missing a shock. Wouldn't hurt to ask him what he had on the bike

besides different sizes, shocks come in different compression/rebound tunes. There is little chance that your shock will fit a new frame. Sell it

there's a guy selling an Avenger on Pinkbike, ironically his bike is only missing a shock. Wouldn't hurt to ask him what he had on the bike
LOL that was where I found the the frame I was looking at (I think there were 2 listings). It seemed like a good price. I am not familiar with Azonic at all. I went to their website for more info and it doesn't look like they make frames anymore. Mostly wheels and pedals and stuff. I couldn't even find any archival stuff.

Thanks for input the everyone. Sounds like the consensus is that I should pass this one up (or buy a shock that is more appropriate for the frame -- which I don't really want to do because it wouldn't be my primary bike anyway and I want to keep the price point low) .

Back
Top Bottom