Watchung News 12/9/2016

stilluf

If anyone else wants to turn up for the freeholder meeting, tomorrow (Thursday) at 7pm, please do! A show of strength can only help our cause and quell any doubts that we have community support. Come on out!!

Dingo

If we don't get our way.. We can protest, ya know just burn some cars or flags. Heck we can burn down the deserted village. That should get our message through.........

xtrpureguts

I hadn't seen this proposed map before. With blue the proposed MTB Trail. Sorry if a re-post.
Watchung-Reservation-Trails-Master-Plan-top-map.png

qclabrat

what's the yellow/green trails?
if I'm parking in the playground area, how would I access the west side of the park? I'm assuming the yellow trails aren't for bikes

w_b

apologize if this was posted elsewhere
from ucnj.org:

The Union County Department of Parks & Recreation will host a meeting to present a Trails Master Plan that has been developed for the Watchung Reservation. This plan will create new trails and open the Watchung Reservation to mountain biking. The meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 7 at 7:00 p.m. at the Trailside Nature & Science Center. Trailside is located in the Watchung Reservation at 452 New Providence Road, Mountainside.

Representatives of the Parks Department and its trails planning consultant will explain the master plan and answer questions. There will be ample opportunity for those who use the trails and other features or facilities in the Watchung Reservation to offer their input on the plan. There is no sign-up or reservation required to attend or to speak at the meeting. A similar meeting was held last October, primarily for mountain biking enthusiasts.

The Trails Master Plan includes the construction of 13 1/2 miles of new trails which will be restricted to mountain biking only. The new trails will be spread throughout most areas of the park. Portions of the Sierra Trail and other existing hiking or equestrian trails will be shared by all users, including mountain bikers. Some sections of existing hiking trails will be closed.

qclabrat

It is wonderful news that portions of the Sierra Trail will be shared. I hope that includes the section around the lake. My kids would love taking a break along the banks.

Shorepoints

what's the yellow/green trails?
if I'm parking in the playground area, how would I access the west side of the park? I'm assuming the yellow trails aren't for bikes
If you park in the playground area, there is no direct trailhead access. You'd have to ride your bike on the road and could enter at the WR Tracy lot. The playground lot is one of the only lots in the res that WON'T have direct MTB trailhead access.

Shorepoints

It is wonderful news that portions of the Sierra Trail will be shared. I hope that includes the section around the lake. My kids would love taking a break along the banks.
As of now the areas around the lake WILL NOT be shared. I think that UC release was referring more to the rocky river trail on the SW portion of the park. There are really very few shared trails and that release was kind of misleading in saying that.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
If we don't get our way.. We can protest, ya know just burn some cars or flags. Heck we can burn down the deserted village. That should get our message through.........

Quoted in case this gets deleted.

Posts like this, regardless of the meaning, are one of the reasons why something as simple as a trail plan which includes all forms of people powered recreation in a public park often fails, or is met with opposition. What did you hope to accomplish by writing this @Dingo ?

I saw the post as childish, worthless to the thread, and at best in poor taste. At worst it would generate a complaint to the county or an investigation.

When you post here, it is public. Other user groups read it; politicians read it; young/beginning mountain bikers read it. The people who have misconceptions of our user group, who do not want to see bicycles in Watchung...they read this board. Thankfully an overwhelming majority of posts here show that we are a valuable member of the trail user community.

Grow up. Take responsibility for your actions. Represent our community well. Stay out of advocacy discussions if you are incapable or unwilling to add positive or constructive feedback with tact and maturity. I am disappointed.

bigtwin100

Quoted in case this gets deleted.

Posts like this, regardless of the meaning, are one of the reasons why something as simple as a trail plan which includes all forms of people powered recreation in a public park often fails, or is met with opposition. What did you hope to accomplish by writing this @Dingo ?

I saw the post as childish, worthless to the thread, and at best in poor taste. At worst it would generate a complaint to the county or an investigation.

When you post here, it is public. Other user groups read it; politicians read it; young/beginning mountain bikers read it. The people who have misconceptions of our user group, who do not want to see bicycles in Watchung...they read this board. Thankfully an overwhelming majority of posts here show that we are a valuable member of the trail user community.

Grow up. Take responsibility for your actions. Represent our community well. Stay out of advocacy discussions if you are incapable or unwilling to add positive or constructive feedback with tact and maturity. I am disappointed.
Agreed. We are so close please use your head when posting and do not knock the county instead be grateful they are trying to work with us.

Xler8

Meanwhile I was daydreaming about this...

IMG_5977.JPG

Laying down some sweet single track in Watchung. The day is near... I can feel it.... smell it... it's in the air.

Make no mistake about it, it's understandable that people are fed up, ran out of patience, are reminded every time they write that tax check that they are discriminated against because they choose to ride a bike rather then use their feet to enjoy what we contribute towards.

Let's not forget the process which needs to be maneuvered through for there to be enjoyment on a bike. It's filled with layers of red tape so deep that will only make you scratch your head and ask "for what". No matter the reasons, all of which were man made, there has been a significant amount of progress made on this topic. I can see it with my own eyes. All I see are markers in the woods when I drive up the road and that's a lot progress to be made. Our time is near...

Statements made here are open for all to see and maybe a better choice of words could be used, however that should not take away from how close that finish line is. There will always be people on both sides of the spectrum.

If you want to make sure we have the best chance of reaching the finish line, come to the Trailside meeting on the 7th to show your support. Tell your friends, family, kids, and whoever else will come and support you. If we stick together, it'll be a sign that will speak volumes. More than any words on a website can do.

Last edited:

TheLonerider

More press on the subject:

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...-biking-return-watchung-reservation/98538014/

The quote from this Toth guy who opposes bikes drips irony. He says: "“Banning pedestrians from the 13.5 miles of new trails takes away our right to public space". Uh, what does he think the no bike policy he supports does? Cue that old song.... "Isn't it ironic...don't ya think?..." Sing it wit me lol.

And of course, kudos to Mr. Seebeck of JORBA for the good points he makes challenging a lot of the nonsense about bikers that seems to have been put in the article by people who don't know better. Guess no one does research anymore. (sigh).

Lonerider

Top Bottom