Wuxi

qclabrat

Wuxi is a major city in China, but is overshadowed by Shanghai which is only 90 mins away and neighboring cities of Hangzhou and Suzhou are tourist magnets further adding to the anonymity. I find myself there most summers, though it gets brutally hot and humid, but it's where my wife grew up and her parents have a vacation home. The condo is right on a beautiful lake, Taihu, and is just as relaxing as it gets in a metropolis. Three summers ago, I sent two mtbs there for transportation (Trek 820 & Sette Reken) just to get around and go partially around the lake. The lake is about 250 miles around, so not a short ride. I've been surveying the area for mountain bike paths which do not exist. Most riders go to the west side of the lake (Wuxi is on the east side) to ride singletrack. It's also where they filmed most of the scenes from the Crouching Tiger movie. There is a park in the city called Huishan where hikers go, but heard it was rough terrain and not somewhere you could ride.

A few months ago I found this one a Pinoy website: http://pinoymtbiker.proboards.com/thread/42688/wuxi-huishan-mountain-downhill-china

They apparently hosted a mtb race in Wuxi in Huishan. I had a hard on reading about the trails and race. I assumed there would be lots more articles, but to my surprise nothing. I checked with local bike shops, and sponsors and never heard anything back. I have a box of upgrades for the Reken and really excited to check out the trails, even though it will be an hour bike ride to get there. Does anyone have suggestions on how to track down bike events? I've been working to to advocate mtbing in China for the past 2 years and surprised it hasn't picked up much steam.

looks like Sourlands
IMG_1459_zpsd8t2uklb.jpg

jnos

Definitely looks like Sourlands. I have a customer in Wuxi! If I can rent a bike there, I'd probably be more interested in hopping on a plane. Currently hoping to avoid using my China Visa (we don't fly business class).

qclabrat

Definitely looks like Sourlands. I have a customer in Wuxi! If I can rent a bike there, I'd probably be more interested in hopping on a plane. Currently hoping to avoid using my China Visa (we don't fly business class).

not many high-end shops in Wuxi proper, your flight would likely go to Pudong (Shanghai) airport where are much more bike shop options.
Problem with rentals is cost. Most good bikes cost twice as much in China, even though most are made in the vicinity. So expect to pay more than what you would here for rentals.
Summers can get over 110F and 60% humidity which is do nothing weather. Go in the Fall or Spring when the weather is prime, also monitor the air quality alerts, because it's still eastern China with smog issues. This year I am planning to go in April and July/August.

You can get pretty decent business/first class deals from Cathay Pacific on off-peak rates, though they currently only fly out of JFK, but heard may have a Newark leg soon. I'm usually on United business but coach doesn't bother me much anymore. Now if you do Singapore Air or even BA, that's another story.

Top Bottom